My WVO plan... Some questions

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
jaredvd
Isuzu vehicle(s): 86 spacecab with 82 diesel swap

My WVO plan... Some questions

Postby jaredvd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:12 am

pupWVO.gif

Here's my WVO plan. It's pretty much SunWizard's design over on biodiesel.infopop.

The pump is a small electric fuel pump 5-7 PSI, just to help the IP with the thick WVO.

The heat will be Teed into the heater core input, in order: FPHE, Filter Wrap, Hose in Hose, Heated pickup. With a ball valve to turn it off.

The circles with 3's are 3 way valves... I'm hoping that i'll be able to use manual ones, and avoid solenoids. That is why there is a valve to select the tank, and then a valve to select the filter. I would like to have the valves in the cab, but the FPHE next to the IP.
Valves are to: Select the tank, Select the filter, and Select the return.

The concept is you start it on diesel, diesel filter, diesel return. When you have temperature, you flip them to VO, VO filter, and Looped return. The fuel which has been warmed by the FPHE is then looped back into your fuel supply, rather than dumped into your WVO tank.

When you purge the supply is flipped to diesel, flushed, then filter is flipped to diesel. With the WVO supply closed, the loop essentially works as a return, pushing all the WVO and some diesel back to the WVO tank. Finally you flip the return to diesel.

Here's the problem: I'm pretty sure i'll need a pump to help out the IP with the cooler WVO. However I don't want to buy an expensive electric lift pump. What seems to kill these pumps is heat, and pulling rather than pushing. So I'd like to keep the pump close to the tank, out of the loop. This would work but the pump will have check valves, so the WVO supply line will not work as a return line. I'm looking for a simple solution.
86 spacecab with 82 diesel swap

Tigman
Isuzu vehicle(s): Factory 1985 S10 2.2 Diesel, 1989 Isuzu 4x4 2.2 Turbo Diesel, 1999 Chevy Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Re: My WVO plan... Some questions

Postby Tigman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:20 am

Hi, sounds like a plan that can work. I'm wondering why you are going manual on the valves as oposed to sol. 3 ways. I have been doing this with a 2 tank sys. ( 85 Fac. S10 Dsl. ) that incorporates a 20' coil of 5/8 alu. in my oil tank and an artic fox heater just ahead of the IP. My system has performed perfectly without a problem for over 2 yrs. The only changes I will make on my current conv. ( 99 Chevy Sub. 6.5 TD ) will be to try to shorten the heat up time enabling me to get on oil quicker and use less dsl. fuel.

jaredvd

Postby jaredvd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 am

The manual valves are just cheaper and more reliable. On your S10 are you using a pump to help out the IP? Are you looping the WVO return?

Tigman
Isuzu vehicle(s): Factory 1985 S10 2.2 Diesel, 1989 Isuzu 4x4 2.2 Turbo Diesel, 1999 Chevy Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Postby Tigman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:05 am

I use a Walbro FRB-22 which is rated for temps upto 155 deg. I have it mounted just outside my 2nd tank, drawing the heated oil out and into a filter then up to the eng. compartment to an Artic Fox fuel heater then into the IP. There is a fuel return line back to the tank. I have a dig. temp gauge in the cab, the sending unit is near the oil pick up tube in the tank. Works perfect for me. The link below is for the pump.

http://www.walbro.com/frb22-series-fuel-pump.aspx

jaredvd

Postby jaredvd » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:01 am

I'm thinking about going ahead with this setup, with no pump. Apparently the IP should work fine for pulling the oil.

another question... if the IP is using vacuum to pull fuel into it, will a pressure monitor pre IP be pointless?

Tigman

Postby Tigman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:59 am

I don't know but this I do know an aux pump is much cheaper than rebuilding an IP.

jaredvd

Postby jaredvd » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:43 am

my new plan is to use the looped return, but simply have a T directly after the booster pump, returning to the WVO tank. THis will do two things: Prevent the pump from being deadheaded as when the loop is on, the excess pressure will be released down the T. Also when you flip it to diesel it will purge down the WVO supply line, the pump will block the flow, but it will simply continue down the T into the WVO tank.

A new diagram is attached
Attachments
pup_wvo_bypass.GIF
(6.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet

VEGGIE NATE

Postby VEGGIE NATE » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 am

It seems to me that Sunwizards diagram has a valve between the tanks and the lift pump instead of the first valve after the lift pump . Also, the return line from the injectors needs to combine with a return line from right at the IP. His design is a solid one , why deviate from it in any way?
my_wvo.jpg
Sunwizards diagram
my_wvo.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
1986 P'UP LWB,2WD,N/A,5-SPEED,3.42,WVO TWO-TANK

jaredvd

Postby jaredvd » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:35 pm

I'm changing the pump location because he is using the mechanical lift pump on a Dodge, which is known to be more than enough, and tollerate heat well.

Our trucks don't need a large lift pump so to duplicate his design I could either run a cheap booster pump after the valve... the pump would be both pulling rather than pushing, and would pump really hot VO... it would die soon. OR Buy a 500-1000$ electric lifter pump, which still don't really like hot VO, and would cost as much as my entire VO setup.

I'm pretty sure my latest design will work, the bypass will prevent deadheading and allow it to be used as a return line. One thing that is missing on the diagram above is the return to the diesel tank coming from that last valve.

VEGGIE NATE

Postby VEGGIE NATE » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:03 am

Okay that makes sense. The only thing I see missing in the new diagram is the return line that comes off the IP that needs to combine with the return line after the injectors. I have run mine with or without a lift pump with similar results .
nate
1986 P'UP LWB,2WD,N/A,5-SPEED,3.42,WVO TWO-TANK