alternative fuels

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
phil cottingham
Isuzu vehicle(s): 85 s10 with 2.2 diesel

alternative fuels

Postby phil cottingham » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Someone mentioned awhile back about having a homemade toilet paper oil filter for filtering used motor oil to use for fuel. I think it was Rubberbanman but I'm not sure . I would realiy like to know how to make one . If anyone has any info about this please let me know. Thanks, Phil

kravdraa

Re: alternative fuels

Postby kravdraa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:35 am

Are you SURE you want to run a liquid that is not desigen to be a fuel for your engine in it?
Regards,
Eric
81 Long bed PuP 2.2 Diesel
Using Bio-D

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:39 am

Kravdraa, I appreciate your concern but I have done a lot of research on this and talked with other member here that are doing this. There's always the possibility I could be wrong but based on all info I have been able to gather this will work . This was my main reason for getting the diesel to begin with. I have just retired and this my retirement project. Hoping for cheap means of transportation. I plan on doing an extentcive filtering process. Thats why I was inquiering about the toilet paper filter . I thought this would be a cheap way to filter the oil first before putting it through a more expensive low micron filter. I also plan to add diesel or kerosene and possible other additives. I would love to here your comments and any advice pro or con. My brother has been running wvo in his dodge diesel for years with no problems but the process of preparing the wvo is more involved than just filtering. This is why I wanted to try wmo, transmision fluid or hydraulic oil . I do think that trans. fluid or hydraulic oil would be better wmo. Please give me your feedback. Thank, Phil

kravdraa

Postby kravdraa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Phil,
Sounds like you have a plan and done lots of homework. From my (incomplete) understanding I believe there are chemicals in he motor oil which won't combust very well and may leave crud/deposits on the rings or valves.

Anyway best of luck with this I know there are several other folks who are doing this as well.
Regards,
Eric
Using Bio-D

chitzu

Postby chitzu » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Phil
I see where you are coming from,I'm retired and don't drive enough miles to mess with WVO besides it is surprising to me that anyone is allowed to get it since usually there is a law passed against any thing that might be considered fun.Just my 2 cents worth it is less messy and quite easy to get a couple whole house water filters for the prefilter process.The string sand filter works great and just wash it in kerosene and reuse.Then I go thru 5 oil filters and a pup water seperator fuel filter and let it circulate for an hour.I blend a gallon of kero and gallon of oil per tank which isn't much but with this new fuel I figure it has got to help lube the fuel system,of course I add the usual additives also.I need to start using more than a gallon because my used is pilling up. have fun with it chitzu
85 pup diesel does long trips
76 chevy c-10 with pup diesel-now 4BB1
78 G-20 van bought new
91 rodeo now topless
88 samurai in waiting

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Chitzu, Thanks for the reply and input. I think the water filters would work fine and that might be the route I end up taking. I had just heard about this toilet paper filter and it caught my attention. I tend to like to do things alittle unconventional. Right now I'm doing my filtering on a kind of gallon at a time thing. I plan setting up a permanent system to control the and make everything neat simple. Other guys I've talked with that are using wmo are filtering with filters simular to what you described and then runing it though a 2 micron filter bag. Some are running 4 gallons of oil to 1 gallon of diesel or kerosene. I think John who is on this said he was using jet fuel because he had source to get it. Let me known if you have any ideas. Thanks Phil

chitzu

Postby chitzu » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi Phil
I was thinking somebody used a roll of paper towels,I'm not sure how to keep toilet paper from disollving and sorta going with the flow. I did buy 1 oil filter base but the rest was scrounged from my junk pile--I mean my misc.parts, wife says junk.You probably shouldn't blend with diesel because you have to keep the viscosity close to ideal.I need to make a viscosity tester,used one many years ago on some job that best I remember it was just a tube with a drip hole in the bottom and you timed how long it took to empty,need to get one made from maybe 3/4 copper tube with a sweat cap on bottom with little hole and compare times to plain diesel.More ideas are power steering pump to move it, also from your[ parts supply].Also on the end of pipe thread some oil filters are pipe thread so just screw on a filter and let it go in the final bucket.Building it is the fun part,I would rather drive my pup than a brand new silverado,that would be so boring.LOL chitzu
85 pup diesel does long trips
76 chevy c-10 with pup diesel-now 4BB1
78 G-20 van bought new
91 rodeo now topless
88 samurai in waiting

gearbox

Postby gearbox » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 pm

when amzoil first came out they had a toilet paper filter that acted like a lubrafiner on the older trucks .they were a partial flow . i think they may not work when you raise the pressure to get more flow .
Gearbox
81 sport 4x4 diesel [parts]
81 micado 4x4diesel
97 ford 250 7.3 4x4
9600 ford [135 hp tractor]
84 MPG rust over rust 2x4 [parts]
91 space cab soon to be married to above MPG

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Chitzu, I think we may be related. My wife also refers to all my "stuff" as junk. I like to call it inventory. Gearbox, The first time I ever heard of a toilet paper filter was maybe 40 years ago while working in a auto parts store. A guy came in with this black oily thing in a bucket and said it the oil filter off of his gasoline welder. After a lot of checking we discovered it was a roll of toilet paper and that was what this particular engine used as a filter.I can't remember brand of engine ,maybe continential. I've been told these were actually the first oil filters used on lot of early engines. The toilet paper does not come apart like you would think it would. Phil

quicknotslow

Postby quicknotslow » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:44 pm

Phil,

My Dad had a 59 Chevy Pick up with a toilet paper oil filter. It was made by Frantz. I just looked on the Net and they still sell them. Hope this helps.
Larry

1982 LONG BED DIESEL
1986 TURBO SPACE CAB With 59034 Miles

kravdraa

Postby kravdraa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:57 am

All I can see now is the commercial with the bears and the soft TP. A variety of "commments" come to mind. And NO I won't post them!!
LOL
Eric
Using Bio-D