wvo powered Motor home

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
reidspup
Isuzu vehicle(s): 82 Pup

wvo powered Motor home

Postby reidspup » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:13 pm

This is just a fyi posting.

I just bought an '87 Vixen 21 motor with the original BMW 2.4 liter turbocharged diesel engine and 5 speed stick shift transmission. Only about 375 of these (diesel version) were ever built before the company folded. They were designed with fuel economy in mind and get as much as 30 mpg. The one I bought has been converted to a two tank wvo system with a 70 gallon tank. The guy I bought it from and put the system in simply poured strained wvo into it and has not had any problems with it for the last 30,000 miles. I am inclined to think a little luck was involved with his success. As I results of this purchase I am researching the great material on this forum and learning a lot. Hopefully to avoid the stupid or unnecessary questions. Since I also have a diesel pup and Imark who knows what might come of this.

I am sure questions will follow.

Reid
Attachments
mail.google.com.jpg
mail.google.com.jpg (5.41 KiB) Viewed 5122 times
82 diesel P'up

kravdraa

Re: wvo powered Motor home

Postby kravdraa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 am

Wow, What a cool vehiucle. Can you post some more photos of the engine etc.
As for using WVO. Read up on the web about doing such.
Basic rules.
1. Start engien on DF-2
2 Run until the WVO is sufficiently heated up (about 140F)
3. Switch over to WVO
4. Before stopping (4-5 mins out from end of trip) switch back to DF2
If you leave a "charge" of WVO in the system and it gets cold (60-70F) you are going to have serious problems starting.
Extreme care in separating the water from the usable WVO is essential.
Regards,
Eric
1981 Pup running onB-100
81 Long bed PuP 2.2 Diesel
Using Bio-D

reidspup

Postby reidspup » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I will take some engine pics when I get home in a few weeks. I don't know much about the engine other then it is a 6 cylinder bmw. I have heard a few good things about it but am pretty ignorant so far. It has right at 100,000 miles so I can only hope it will have a lifespan similar to our pups. I have been reading the alternative fuel section of the forum and learning a lot. I don't even know yet how the heating system is put together. 70 gallons is a big tank to heat up. I live in Ca. Am currently working(fishing) in Alaska, and bought it sight unseen(inspected by a friend) in Oregon. I am looking forward to getting into it and will be seeking advice when I do. Any one interested should google Vixen rv's. Quite an interesting vehicle and history. Reid
82 diesel P'up

Richey
Isuzu vehicle(s): 90 Spacecab, 84 Pup, Diesel WVO

Postby Richey » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:32 pm

It all really depends on the motor in regards to how long you need to flush the lines. My c223 Pup Diesel only needs about 60 seconds to clear, and I live in Alaska in -20F! You will typically end up dumping excess diesel in your grease tank really fast if you flush too long. But if your not a penny pincher like me, It wont really matter. Sweet setup by the way, Would love to see some more pictures.
1990 Spacecab 4x4 4 speed 2.2L Diesel. Complete Veggie oil conversion.

Get an Isuzu Key Lanyard:
http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17443&p=111177&hilit=lanyard#p111177

Tigman
Isuzu vehicle(s): Factory 1985 S10 2.2 Diesel, 1989 Isuzu 4x4 2.2 Turbo Diesel, 1999 Chevy Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Postby Tigman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:50 am

Very interesting, my experience for the past 2.5 yrs. burning without problem is filter to the lowest micron. I purge about a mile out from my final stopping or shutoff point. I believe this is aprx. what IpupGary recommended as well.

Richey

Postby Richey » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Its probably safe to do it as far as a mile, it will keep you from shutting off to early before the lines are cleared, and then ending up with gelled up lines, or even some grease in your diesel tank. It also depends on where your grease tank is located, the further the lines reach between your grease tank and engine, the longer it will take to completely flush your lines.

http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17443&p=111177&hilit=lanyard#p111177

reidspup

Postby reidspup » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:42 am

I just picked it up in Portland and drove it home this Thanksgiving. It runs well, has a multitude of small problems from being neglected for several years, and is gutted. It will be a project but I believe it will be worth while.

I am curious about the filtering for the wvo. The previous owner has a website called "grease not gas' which describes the wvo conversions he has done on multiple vehicles. It is the two tank system. He pours the wvo directly from his supply(restaurant) through a large sock like filter that is made up of three filtering layers, 10 microns, 5 microns, and 1 micron. From the 33 inch long sock like filter the oil passes through a marine racor water separator and into the tank. It seems effective as he has driven 30,000 trouble free miles with this particular rv and has 250,000 miles or so total with different vehicles without problems. However it seems surprisingly simple compared to some of the wvo treatments I read about. The consequences of improper filtering are serious enough that this seems too simple.

I am curious what the opinion of experienced wvo users would be. If it is as effective and appropriate as his experience would indicate then I would be tempted to use the same filter(about 14 dollars from the supply house) and filter wvo for my two isuzus.

Reid
82 diesel P'up

Richey

Postby Richey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:06 pm

I use ones bought from golden fuel, they are a bit spendy but they seem to not plug up as fast. Also, I heat mine up in a big 55gal fuel drum wrapped in a heating pad first, then pump it into another 55gal drum with 2 holes large enough to stick these bags into, afterwards I pump it into a 500gal tank with a valve on the end. I like it because after many years of messing with filtering setups, this one requires the least manual labor. It only requires dumping it in when its wvo, then flipping a few switches, and then filling up my buckets when filling the truck.

Link to bags: http://www.goldenfuelsystems.com/produc ... ort=normal

margaret fishman

Postby margaret fishman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:47 pm

THANK YOU RICHEY FOR POSTING THIS LINK.IT'S JUST WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR .
JOHN 3: 16'88 5-SPD P'UP2.3 '2000 DODGE DAUL ,95 CHEVY V6 5SP[81 DIESEL 5 SP FLAT BED ,92 NISSAN 4X4 5SP ,96 S-10 PK I'VE REACHED THAT AGE WHERE MY BRAIN W/FROM 'I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T SAY THAT ' to OH WHAT THE HECK LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS

robnsonc

Postby robnsonc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:30 am

Seen one of these on the interstate yesterday, very cool vehicle in person.
Chris
---------
87 Spacecab - diesel swap project

Pupfriend

Postby Pupfriend » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vixen_%28RV%29

Reid,
That's a cool rig. According to the Wiki article above, it says that it was originally designed for a 3.0L Isuzu diesel that wasn't available.
As a result the BMW was used but has a different power curve, making lower 1st and 2nd gears a desired mod by many owners around hills.
It mentions, also, an owner's club which helps keep these things going.....It doesn't, however, mention anything about towing I-Marks behind it :)

Eddie
1986 SWB 5spd diesel P'up (sold)
1981 2dr Auto LS I-Mark diesel (need windshield);
198? 4dr Auto gas I-Mark (parts);
91(sold) and 94 Isuzu 2.3 p/u(daily driver);
'87 1.9L LS Pup;
A few Nissan SD22 diesel engine parts,