Alternative Fuels Roll Call

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
ddcuning
Isuzu vehicle(s): 85 GMC S-15 Diesel

Re: Alternative Fuels Roll Call

Postby ddcuning » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:36 pm

I have been running WVO with a two tank system for 2 years now. Haven't ran in the past 6 months since I lost my source. In the past two weeks, I got a new restaurant on board and will be back in the oil soon. For our "P'up Meet" at JLEMOND's house I drove from Pittsboro, NC to Atlanta, then up to Chattanooga TN and back to Pittsboro and used 2gal of diesel for the 1,000 mile trip. The rest of the trip was on WVO.

Dave C

bobbyr

Postby bobbyr » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 am

i have been making and running biodiesel in all of my cars and trucks sinse 2000 no problems at all 2001 tdi 1983 rabbit 1985 rabbit 1984 pup long bed 1984 pup short bed 1983 pup long bed massey tractor kubota irrigation pump lister generater petter one cyl battery charger

bobbyr

Postby bobbyr » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:21 pm

i meant 2005 sorry about that

Andys52Willys

Postby Andys52Willys » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Roll Call Check In:

I am working on running WVO in my 1981 Luv with the 223 non turbo.
I have a 40 gallon tank setup from a 7.3 powerstroke Ford that was made by Greasecar in 2006. I got it pretty cheap, and am supplementing the kit with a Flate Plate Heat Exchanger sold to me by 03Duramax- David down in Texas from a wvo pup kit he pulled out of one of his trucks. I will pass along updates as they come.
1981 Chevrolet Luv 4WD Turbo Diesel Running a Greasecar WVO kit [now Goners]
Far to many Willys Jeeps and old Bicycles

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Hey all, nice to have found this site! Lots of great info and people here!
I've been running B100 summer and B75-80 during winter now since 2007 in an '82 Jetta 1.6, '97 Passat TDI, and now in my "new" '82 LUV. Nothing but pure ASTM D6751 spec Biodiesel that am proud to make commercially from WVO collected through our collections dept.
I noticed my '82 Jetta ran noticeably smoother on bio instead of petrol diesel. My LUV I don't know as I purchased it from a co-worker who ran pure bio in it for a couple years before I ended up with it. I've never tried straight WVO and never will, although I may install a heating system to run B100 year round.
1991 4X4 Pickup powered by a Gen 3 Trooper Turbo Diesel engine built by Jerry Lemond. 5 Speed Trooper MSG tranny behind the engine.

kravdraa

Postby kravdraa » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:57 am

nucleus,
Good news. Glad to hear things are working out for you. Where are are you located?
Eric
Burke, VA
81 Long bed PuP 2.2 Diesel
Using Bio-D

spiritrancho

Postby spiritrancho » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:30 am

I get down into the 'teens in winter and still run only B100 in my 83 & 84 pups. For heat I plug in 115 volt wrap around heaters on the fuel filter and glued to the bottom of the fuel tank. I plug in upon rising in the morning (5 am)and am ready to start up by 8 am. If expecting a really cold night I plug in at bed time. I converted the garage into a green house so both rigs are out in it. I do have to cycle the glow plugs a couple extra times. Just leave the clutch out and hit the key to start position and count off 8 sec. limit. If all that fails I can either wait for more warm up time or take the gas driven sedan.
The silicon wrap around heaters of various wattage are available at McMaster & Carr on line or you can buy a amphibian tank heater at a pet store. I use 100 watt on the tank and 50 watt on the filter. I have fitted a shell in tube heat exchanger on the 84 but have not bothered on the 83. If you let it idle with the lights on before driving, the excess fuel returning to the tank will keep the filter from plugging when you do go.
84 pup & dodge ram on biodiesel

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Eric,
I'm not that far from you actually. Down here in Pittsboro, NC (just south of Chapel Hill and east of Raleigh).

Spiritrancho,
Nice going on the B100 during winter. I had a similar heating method with my old '82 Jetta, but did not heat the tank, only the injector pump and battery via two simple heating pads and an old bed comforter for insulation. Worked pretty well, but I'm sure if I heated the tank, I would have not had to blend down with petrol. This winter I will try getting a tank heater from where you suggested. Thanks for the tip!
1991 4X4 Pickup powered by a Gen 3 Trooper Turbo Diesel engine built by Jerry Lemond. 5 Speed Trooper MSG tranny behind the engine.

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Dave C:

I notice your post is old but I hope you're still around.
Glad to see another member from the metropolis of Pittsboro! I'm sure your pup is one of the three others I have seen running around town frequently. Which one is it?

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:47 am

nucleus wrote:Down here in Pittsboro, NC (just south of Chapel Hill and east of Raleigh).

I just added that to your profile. It helps us when organizing meets, or when you need parts.

Jack

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks Jack. I'd love to attend the next regional meet.
Seems to me that most pups are either in Washington state or down in North Carolina! Am I wrong?
I lived in Washington State for several years, I wonder if it's a coincidence that I now have a diesel Isuzu.

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Dave C.
Hi to you as well. Sorry I haven't responded in a while, I have been super busy and the Pup project has taken a back burner.
My rig was the light blue short bed '82 Luv running around with the bicycle painted on the tail gate. Since then I sold that truck to a friend and you will now see a dark burgundy/almost black '86 long bed pup running around in excellent shape. Thats me... :)

VEGGIE NATE

Postby VEGGIE NATE » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm

Might as well use this old thread to see who’s burning what with success. I’ve been burning waste vegetable oil with my 2 tank set up for the past 220k. I use a heated up flow filter/dewater setup before it goes in the tank.
nate
1986 P'UP LWB,2WD,N/A,5-SPEED,3.42,WVO TWO-TANK