Making Biodiesel

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
HITDOGG

Making Biodiesel

Postby HITDOGG » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Hey guys, I'm not sure how big of a deal it is, but I've been doing some research on making my own biodiesel. I think I could do it, but I would love to see somebody make it, or at least see their equipment setup. I figure that some people are pretty secretive about it, and maybe I'm asking too much. I live in Western NC, but would not mind traveling to check it out and take notes, maybe even help make a batch. I'm also weighing the cost out. I found a system online for about 3 grand. Now with the cost of fuel and the amount I burn, it may not be cost effective for me. I only go through a tank about every month or so. Anybody have any advice, suggestions, etc? Thanks in advance!
84 Diesel Long Bed

HITDOGG

Re: Making Biodiesel

Postby HITDOGG » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:29 pm

Anybody? Maybe I have over stepped some bounds here. Well I thought it was worth a shot.
84 Diesel Long Bed

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Not at all. We probably have more WVO users than bio-D makers. But we do have some, and they'll probably be along soon.

Jack

Dog

Postby Dog » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:51 pm

I have been doing this 8-10 years. A few things to consider. 1st if this is all about money buy pump fuel and work on your driving and tuning for better MPGs. 2nd you need a source of good oil, some oil is hard to make good fuel out of. I made some fuel from some really bad oil, the fuel would cloud at 60* and gel at 50*. 3rd what do you do with the glycerine, I still strugle with this. I get about 5 gallons of glycerine for every 20 gallons of fuel. 4th you need a place to do this and it is messy!
I am not trying to discourage you, just being real. You are welcome to come for a vist but I am a long ride, close to Savannah GA. One good source of info is http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums .

..............Dog
"When an event is difficult to imagine, we tend to underestimate its likelihood"......Robert N. Stavins

HITDOGG

Postby HITDOGG » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:22 pm

Dog wrote:I have been doing this 8-10 years. A few things to consider. 1st if this is all about money buy pump fuel and work on your driving and tuning for better MPGs. 2nd you need a source of good oil, some oil is hard to make good fuel out of. I made some fuel from some really bad oil, the fuel would cloud at 60* and gel at 50*. 3rd what do you do with the glycerine, I still strugle with this. I get about 5 gallons of glycerine for every 20 gallons of fuel. 4th you need a place to do this and it is messy!
I am not trying to discourage you, just being real. You are welcome to come for a vist but I am a long ride, close to Savannah GA. One good source of info is http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums .

..............Dog

Thanks Dog, some of the feedback I was looking for. The glycerine is something I haven't thought about at all. I haven't secured any oil yet, but around here, we deep fry everything. So that may be a problem, but may not.

You're right, although I would love to check out your operation, Savannah is a little bit too far.

I still have some research to do. The money part isn't really the issue. I don't burn that much diesel as it is. I think it's just a independence thing.
84 Diesel Long Bed

Dinger95
Isuzu vehicle(s): started as a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo / Passport / Frontera (UCS7VF)

Postby Dinger95 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:48 am

There are some interesting articles out there on fermenting glycerol into ethanol or butanol for instance.
Might be worth looking into if you are still struggling with the glycerol disposal issue.
After purification that ethanol or butanol could potentially be used to make more biodiesel ...
-- Dinger95

Return to “Alternative Fuels”