Liner X-treeme spray in bedliner

The good, the bad, and the ugly.
jasonw86

Liner X-treeme spray in bedliner

Postby jasonw86 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:11 pm

This should probably go in the tool review section, but since it is not a tool, I wasn't sure.

I learned of this product a couple of years ago from another forum member that I had sold a dash to. He had used it in the bed of his truck and seemed happy with it. I have watched this product on ebay for the last couple of years and the seller has had thousands of sales with very little negative feedback.

This product is a two part epoxy, although it is actually four parts if you use the rubber crumb and reducer, which I did. The kit that I ordered was the 1.5 gallon size and cost $94 delivered to the front door from Texas. This size is advertised as being enough to do an eight foot bed. In retrospect, I find this to be somewhat misleading. Yes, you could completely cover an eight foot bed, but it would in no way compare to the thickness of a Rhino Liner or Line-X. Still, it is worlds better than Herculiner which costs about the same ($85 + tax for a gallon). I have never used Herculiner but I have seen it and know enough to avoid it.

I had decided that I wanted to spray the inside of the cab on my MPG+. What a job. Everything had to go, dash, windshield, rear window, that tar-like sound deaden-er that all of our trucks have on the floor, etc. I also decided it was time for some stealth security upgrades - just about any key will open my door and start my truck, even a house key. And since my headliner was not salvageable, might as well spray it all.

Spraying the headliner meant filling all of the voids in the roof area of the body. So the first thing I did was run some speaker wires, an extra wire to the dome light so I could control it's operation from the dash, and another couple of sets of wires for hidden switches. I put a tiny "momentary on" switch right behind where the visor goes. This will replace the switch on the clutch and will have to be pushed every time the truck is started. The second switch will control the operation of the shut off solenoid on the I.P. I also plan on a couple more small hidden switches under the dash that will serve to confuse anybody that gets to looking. I am leaving the door and ignition locks the way they are and not fixing them. If thieves can get in easily they are much less likely to break something. Besides, the locks of this vintage are really a joke. I would caution anybody about thinking you are protected by any locks out there. If you are in doubt, check out some of the vids on youtube. I was quite amazed how easy it is to bypass most of the locks out there. Here is a picture of where I will wire up my security features. It should be pretty well concealed once the dash is back in. It will also give me flexibility to make changes/improvements in the future.
DSC03194.JPG

Once the wiring was done it was time to break out the spray foam and fill all of the body cavities in the roof area. This is to seal out air (which brings moisture with it), help quiet things down, and the most important reason, so it looks good when finished. There are some big gaps to fill and some pretty big holes that look way better now that they are gone. One thing I hadn't considered when I started was the foam reacting to lacquer thinner, which is the reducer used in the spray liner. Fortunately this occurred to me early on so it didn't cause any problems. My solution was to use a latex based caulking to create a barrier and seal the spray in foam from the spray liner.
DSC03221.JPG

One thing that I puzzled over a bit was how to protect all of the threads from being sprayed. There are about 16 studs protruding from the firewall. The important ones are for the heater controls and also the blower unit. The rest are to hold the sound deadening mat on. There are also 8 seatbelt anchor points (10 if you count the center seatbelt). There are 2 steering wheel bolts and 4 gas pedal/e-brake bolts. Also, the four bolts that retain the bench seat. My solution was to take appropriately sized dowels and sharpen them to a point and stick them in the hole. For the firewall studs I took oversize dowels and drilled a 17/64" hole in the center and pushed them on. The spray liner is so nasty that I wanted to minimize handling it and these made clean up a snap. Remember, there are about 16 studs on the firewall and about 20 bolt holes to protect.
DSC03263.JPG

To do the actual spraying of the bed liner I used my texture gun that I use to spray wall texture. Fortunately I have quite a bit of experience using this tool so I know just how messy it is. The only video on youtube of this product being sprayed was a guy in his poorly lit garage, wearing shorts and short sleeve shirt, and no respirator. It was actually kind of comical watching him with no gloves. He had it everywhere, even splashing it into his hair. I was actually grateful that he posted this because I was curious how thin the product was when mixed together. Wall texture is pretty thick and not easy to slop out of the hopper. This stuff requires more caution.

Another trick I used had to do with the mixing of the product. The activator is thick, thicker than cold molasses. To get it out of the can I removed the lid, inverted it into a 2 gallon bucket and punched a hole in the bottom of the can with a can opener. Then let it sit for an hour or so.
DSC03241.JPG

DSC03254.JPG
Finished and cured. Check out the tiny switch in the upper left corner.

DSC03253.JPG

DSC03257.JPG

There are only two things I would do differently. First, I would have ordered twice as much product and made a second application. Not critical, but there are a few spots that I wanted a heavier application. Second, and most importantly, I would have pre-primed everything in white so I could easily see the areas that need more coverage. With all of my texturing experience I should have known better. Still, I am very happy with this product and will be using it again in the future to do the bed and rocker panels.
1984 diesel LS long bed 4x4
1983 diesel 4x2 long bed
1984 diesel 4x2 short bed MPG Plus
1984 diesel 4x2 automatic longbed
1982 diesel 4x4 LUV mikado shortbed
1986 gas LS 4x4 Trooper II 2 door
1984 turbodiesel 4x2 automatic longbed

phil cottingham
Isuzu vehicle(s): 85 s10 with 2.2 diesel

Re: Liner X-treeme spray in bedliner

Postby phil cottingham » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:24 pm

That looks great. Do they make it in different colors? Phil

jasonw86

Postby jasonw86 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks and yes it is available in different colors, not sure how many though.
1983 diesel 4x2 long bed

OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Postby OzarkDaredevil » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks for taking the time for a great post!
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:58 am

Good job! It looks real good!
Currently P'up-less, but keeping my eyes open for a good deal
Click this link for misc. diesel technical bulletins & other info

jasonw86

Postby jasonw86 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:38 am

puttputtinpup wrote:Good job! It looks real good!

OzarkDaredevil wrote:Thanks for taking the time for a great post!

Thanks guys.

I went ahead and ordered another six gallons of this stuff and recoated the inside of the cab last night. Much easier job the second time around. I just couldn't bring myself to putting everything back together without putting on another coat. And that second coat made a huge difference. I also took the time and built some 6x9 speaker boxes for behind the seats. Never really been a fan of 6x9s but I had a pair that I pulled out of one of my other trucks that sound pretty good. And I am pretty pleased with the way the boxes came out.
DSC03331.JPG

DSC03373.JPG

And there are a couple of things I did differently this time that made the job a little easier/more efficient. The first one was to put a negative air machine in the back window. This is basically a big squirrel cage fan mounted in a box with a 14" flexible discharge line that I ran out to the driveway. The reason for this is because the first time I sprayed the cab it was so foggy that I had a hard time seeing what I was doing despite the fact that I had 1000 watts of halogen light aimed inside.

Another change I made was to further thin the mixture down by about 25% with xylene. A one gallon kit comes with one gallon of bedliner, .25 gallon of catalyst, the rubber crumb, and .25 gallon of reducer (xylene). This helped me get a little bit better coverage and made the product easier to work with. I found that it really doesn't matter how much you thin the mix down, once the solvent evaporates the final cure is the same. In fact I never did get the leftover material out of one of my oil catch pans that I used for cleaning up my spray gun.

Another thing that I forgot to mention the first time is to have two compressors on hand. I ran an air line to each side of the truck so I could just disconnect the spray gun without having to drag a hose around. The reason for a second compressor is just in case you have problems with one, you have a back-up ready to go. The working time with this stuff doesn't allow for problems.

Total cost for the materials to do both applications was about $200.

In sum, if you can afford Rhino Liner or Line-X, go that route. This stuff is a lot of work and it can be pretty messy. That said, this is a great product for custom work like I did here. And it is very tough. I have a sample of some leftover material that dried in my hopper and at 3/16" thick I can't tear it by hand.
1983 diesel 4x2 long bed

arrowmntdiesel

Postby arrowmntdiesel » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Very Nice job Jason! It is great to see people taking the time to do the job right even if it takes an extra day. Also, Thanks for taking the time for pictures and for posting it here on the site for inspiration!

Mark
AAS degree Diesel Technology 2014, 10 yrs Isuzu Pup diesels. Owner: Arrow-Mountain Diesel services & Arrow-Mnt Windows, Medford, OR. Love God! One Marriage-One Wife, 2 awesome young ladies as my kids. Happily Married for 25+ years. One Blessed Man!

jasonw86

Postby jasonw86 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks Mark and you're welcome.

jasonw86 wrote:Another change I made was to further thin the mixture down by about 25% with xylene.

To clarify, I didn't thin the entire mix by 25% with xylene. I increased the amount of xylene from 0.25 gallons to approximately 0.30 gallons. In other words, I increased the amount of reducer by about 25% over what is supplied with the kit.
1983 diesel 4x2 long bed

Return to “Tool & Product Reviews”