IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This section is for Introductions. If you are new, we hope you will post an "introduction" here. Tell us about your truck(s), and post a photo of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:13 am 

i aquired a 1986 isuzu pup 4x4 with a turbo diesel and a 5 spd has 165,000 miles.......well it was sitting on my familys land for 7 years without running.....well i got the wild hair that me and a buddy would go up there to pittle with it...."even though the frame is rusted in almost 2 pieces" well we got up there about dark and we tried jump starting it off.....didnt work......then we decided we would load it up on the trailer and take it to the shop.....we put a good battery in it and fixed a wire that was broke then hooked the battery charger and sprayed a shot of either and it fired and run for 5 seconds then died........well i sprayed another shot and it ran again but stayed running and we let it idle for 45 mins or so with no porblems.......YEE HAW......well by that time it was 1 am so we decided to go on home since we live an hour away from the shop........well last night we went back up there and pluged all the tires and got them to hold air.......then we drove it around for probably 2 hours and everything works in the driveline.......well thats my story the end.

i would put a picture but i cant figure it out

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:17 am 

Welcome! To post pictures, post a reply, scroll down, click the "upload attachment" tab, then browse for your picture, click "add the file" and submit them, good luck because we wanna see!

Check it out at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2946804

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:50 pm 

glad you got her started, but you were EXTREMELY lucky you didnt end the life of that motor right then and there. Ether is A number 1 enemy of diesel engines. Pistons out the block, trashed piston rods and broken cranks...

Good luck with your project, but put the ether back on the shelf for your gasser engines!

If you have trouble starting it, just pour an ounce or so of diesel down the intake.. try that first.

Ed

"If by "drag machine" you mean a little truck to transport cross dressers then it should work out just fabulous" VeggieNate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome aboard. What part of the world are you in?
dieselnut17 wrote:
i would put a picture but i cant figure it out
There's an "attach file" button when you're composing a post. Use it to attach photos.

Jack

Edit your Signature
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:29 pm 

Just a little clarification as I see this pop up from time to time.....

Ether has been around a long time, and has been helping diesel engines start as long as they've been around. It is fine to use, IN MODERATION, and if used properly. The two biggest reasons it has such a bad name are due to improper use. First reason is people spray half a can down the intake and then try to start the engine. This is bad for a few reasons. One, it washes the oil off the cylinder wall, and over time, can lead to scoring. Then when the engine starts, it races and runs away (with no oil on the cylinder walls for a moment) due to the large amount of ether in the intake being fed into the cylinders uncontrolled. This can lead to thrown rods, bent valves, etc. in addidion to the above mentioned scoring. The other main cause for problems is that people usually don't disable the glow plug/intake heater system. The ether hits the glow plugs and goes ka-boom right away. If the piston is on the up-stroke, this can result in a bent rod, etc. If the engine has a intake heater, you could have a small explosion/fire in the intake also. Either way, it's a bad day.

And the whole thing about engines getting "addicted" ether is a myth. What happens is it is used improperly long enough that the cylinder walls get scored and it starts to lose compression. It can also affect the valve seats too. A compression ignition engine that is low on compression = no ignition, so it continues needing help starting.

The proper way to use ether is:
1) Disable any cold start assist the engine may have, i.e. glow plugs, intake heater, etc.
2) WHILE CRANKING the engine over, spray a QUICK whiff of ether in the intake, before the air cleaner.
3) If it doesn't start right away, STOP because you have bigger problems.

Back in the day, most big trucks had a ether injection system built right into them. Most had a lockout so the ether would only be injected while the starter was engaged. They were pretty reliable, safe, and many times the only option available. It's hard to start an engine without glowplugs when it's really cold....

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:04 pm 

Nice info to know, thank you. might save an engine in the future... I stand corrected :D

"If by "drag machine" you mean a little truck to transport cross dressers then it should work out just fabulous" VeggieNate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:54 pm 

the only reason i used it was because it has been sitting for 7 years and i wanted to get the fuel to it quicker but i dont use it but "rarely" i usually hate the stuff......as for the truck i broke the spring mount off today so ill be welding that back together

Attachments:
isuzu pup.jpg
isuzu pup.jpg [ 7.81 KiB | Viewed 1553 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:48 pm 

dieselnut17 wrote:
the only reason i used it was because it has been sitting for 7 years and i wanted to get the fuel to it quicker but i dont use it but "rarely" i usually hate the stuff......as for the truck i broke the spring mount off today so ill be welding that back together

Welcome to the site. Great find you have. We're just down 52 from where you are. We'll have to get together sometime.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:03 pm 

edwright wrote:
Nice info to know, thank you. might save an engine in the future... I stand corrected :D

I'm here to help :mrgreen:

As with most everything, there is a time and place for it. Sometimes it is just unavoidable, and must be used. Hopefully this info will help...

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:33 am 

what engine do you have? with a turbo??? mine is a c190 non turbo :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

auy_tong2 wrote:
what engine do you have? with a turbo??? mine is a c190 non turbo :(

The only diesel offered in U.S. trucks was the C223. The factory turbo version was the C223-T. We never got the c190 here, or any of the later engines.

Jack

Edit your Signature
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:48 am 

overland47 wrote:
Just a little clarification as I see this pop up from time to time.....

Ether has been around a long time, and has been helping diesel engines start as long as they've been around. It is fine to use, IN MODERATION, and if used properly. The two biggest reasons it has such a bad name are due to improper use. First reason is people spray half a can down the intake and then try to start the engine. This is bad for a few reasons. One, it washes the oil off the cylinder wall, and over time, can lead to scoring. Then when the engine starts, it races and runs away (with no oil on the cylinder walls for a moment) due to the large amount of ether in the intake being fed into the cylinders uncontrolled. This can lead to thrown rods, bent valves, etc. in addidion to the above mentioned scoring. The other main cause for problems is that people usually don't disable the glow plug/intake heater system. The ether hits the glow plugs and goes ka-boom right away. If the piston is on the up-stroke, this can result in a bent rod, etc. If the engine has a intake heater, you could have a small explosion/fire in the intake also. Either way, it's a bad day.

And the whole thing about engines getting "addicted" ether is a myth. What happens is it is used improperly long enough that the cylinder walls get scored and it starts to lose compression. It can also affect the valve seats too. A compression ignition engine that is low on compression = no ignition, so it continues needing help starting.

The proper way to use ether is:
1) Disable any cold start assist the engine may have, i.e. glow plugs, intake heater, etc.
2) WHILE CRANKING the engine over, spray a QUICK whiff of ether in the intake, before the air cleaner.
3) If it doesn't start right away, STOP because you have bigger problems.

Back in the day, most big trucks had a ether injection system built right into them. Most had a lockout so the ether would only be injected while the starter was engaged. They were pretty reliable, safe, and many times the only option available. It's hard to start an engine without glowplugs when it's really cold....

After more than 8 or 10 hours without running in 30 degree weather my truck usually wont start without a quick shot of ether. Is it bad that i always have full oil pressure by the time it starts? lol, i need a place to work on this thing in case the starter burns up

My eclipse makes almost 6 times the trucks power...but the truck can run it over...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:56 pm 

welcome to the site. sounds like you have found a diamond in the rough...

Corey