pup pup pup pup

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
OK!
Isuzu vehicle(s): Blue 82 pup 2.2L diesel 4x4 short bed

pup pup pup pup

Post by OK! »

Hey everyone.

I've been eavesdropping on this site ever since I got my truck about a year ago and it has proven to be helpful for its myriad problems since purchasing it. Thank you, for that.

Anyway, the pup variant I ended up with is a 1982 diesel 4WD pickup in light blue with a short bed. It is equipped with the 4-speed manual transmission and the 2.2L engine.

I'll post some pictures later on and some of the problems I am currently experiencing in the technical section soon.

Keep on truckin

James
puttputtinpup

Re: pup pup pup pup

Post by puttputtinpup »

Welcome to the site, James
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

James,

Welcome aboard. What part of NC are you in? We have quite a few members in that area.

Jack
OK!

Post by OK! »

Greensboro / triad area! I see that puttputtinpup is in Winston Salem, pretty cool.

I just got done redoing the ground connection setup, and it fires up better than it ever has, now. For a few months now, my starter has been getting stuck on to where it keeps cranking until I pull off a terminal.

After looking around I suspected a bad ground, as there was oil covering the side of the block where it had been grounded to.

I’m gonna drive it around like this for awhile and see if the starter stops sticking, which only happens at random.
82 4wd 4spd diesel
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

Cool! Let me know if you wanna get together sometime. I dont have a pup, but have a pup soul
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

That starter running after the key is off could likely be a sticky starter solenoid. I did a write-up on the diesel starter some years ago dealing with a started that would click but not turn over. Sometimes eventually it would. Burned solenoid contacts inside. Its in the HOW TO section under diesel
OK!

Post by OK! »

We will have to have a pup chat sometime for sure. Funny thing is, I've already replaced one of the contacts in the starter once before. I guess I might not have inspected it closely enough while I had it off, though. (unfortunate because removing it sucked pretty bad) Since then, I've lost key switch starter relay power for some reason. I installed a jumper wire in the relay to a switch into the dash to run the starter as a solution. I've been driving it like this for a while. After that came the sticky starter, I think.

Funny enough, this morning, it wouldn't start after all that ground cable work last night. I think it was maybe the fuel pump solenoid, which has caused a no-start once before. I sprayed the contacts out and reconnected and made sure I heard the click to see if it was working, and after that, it started up...

I'm going to buy a manual off a guy in Jamestown in a couple of days. Having a real wiring diagram reference should help with all this.

puttputtinpup, my friend down the street is selling a diesel pup, if you are interested. By the way, did you have the pup in your profile pic on craigslist a while back? I remember seeing one like that listed in Winston around the time I bought mine.

James
82 4wd 4spd diesel
OK!

Post by OK! »

As promised here’s my truck from today. Worked on replacing wires and cleaning fusible links all day, still haven’t figured out no key power problem yet
82 4wd 4spd diesel
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

If your friend is Amy(white pup and red luv), she offered my white one back to me.
The one in my avatar is an 85 that I did the 5speed tranny upgrade tutorial on. I traded it for an 81 Imark. Dont have that now either. Some guy in Charlotte ended up with the grey one. Amy got my white one and all my spare parts. Her user name here is science. Nice gal. Small business owner now with a few employees. Send her a pm (prvt msg) if you need a part.
OK!

Post by OK! »

Small pup world after all. I just stopped by Amy’s last week for a sun visor and some glove box parts from your old stash. Pup people gotta stick together. I ended up buying mine from a guy in Asheboro, who also had a cool beige trooper.

Today I finally tackled the dark matter of making my dome light work. Pics incoming
82 4wd 4spd diesel
OK!

Post by OK! »

Here was my free solution to the dome light. I checked and saw (from the how-to light thread) that my doors do not have the nice switches, but the wire attached to the light fixture was still getting voltage. To make up for no switches in the door jambs I just made a single switch inline with a ground wire I attached to the old dome light and it worked... what a luxury

D5586F95-DF90-41A5-81D1-B14FD1EBC0AA.jpeg
327E094D-95C0-4922-8A41-730CD3C35AA1.jpeg
3E6F65C7-CFF8-4BAC-B772-9F87F39AD39F.jpeg

The cover for the light came from one of those old school fuse boxes
82 4wd 4spd diesel
OK!

Post by OK! »

Update

sold my truck to user bigbumpytruck. Now I have replaced the pup with a Chevy CUCV M1031. GM 6.2L diesel. Pretty fun big loud military truck.
82 4wd 4spd diesel
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

OK! wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:59 pm
Update

sold my truck to user bigbumpytruck. Now I have replaced the pup with a Chevy CUCV M1031. GM 6.2L diesel. Pretty fun big loud military truck.
Good deal!