New to me P’up!

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
81alaskapup
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1981 Isuzu P'up 2WD

New to me P’up!

Postby 81alaskapup » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:59 am

Hello! I just aquired a 81 Isuzu P’up diesel 2wd manual tranny and I am pretty excited about it. I’m am airplane mechanic. I got from a friend who is a diesel mech. He had too many projects and I finally talked him into selling it. It runs but he fired it up in a hurry on a Jan morning a year ago with no preheat and it started puking oil everywhere. It’s at the rear of the engine where it mates to the tranny. I suspect its the crankshaft seal. Parts on order... Gonna replace that seal & probably put a new clutch in while I am at it. It’s in pretty good shape, came up from WA a couple years ago. Will need new tires soon and a few cosmetic things and some window handles. Just put a yellow top optima battery in it. Can’t wait to get it running, it will be my island run-a-bout!

87B87EE6-CC2B-4635-A954-D35CC488E8A1.jpeg

puttputtinpup

Re: New to me P’up!

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:47 am

Welcome to the site! I have a write-up on diesel 5speed upgrade with a few tips on pulling and reinstalling the transmission.
Note: if your old seal has a metal spacer ring, save it! If not, please compare the height (while lying flat on a table) of your new seal with the old one. If your new one is taller, don't hammer the crap out of it when installing till the lip is flat against the block. If your original is the same height, you should have a spacer ring which keeps the seal from bottoming out. The bore it fits into is shallower than the replacement seal. We can pick this topic up later when you start a thread in the appropriate header once you begin your clutch and seal job.
Currently P'up-less, but keeping my eyes open for a good deal
Click this link for misc. diesel technical bulletins & other info

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:49 am

Another place for an oil leak behind the head is a small oil line from the back of the head to the block. Runs behind the oil filter base. Make sure it's not cracked

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:12 pm

I'll be starting a new thread about your rear main seal and with it a few links. It's next to impossible doing some of this work with a phone, so had to dig the old laptop out of mothballs. Bear with me. I''l send you a note via private msg

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Return to “My P'up! (Introduce yourself here)”