"New to You"zu

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
2zuzus
Isuzu vehicle(s): P'up Friendly Trooper Owner

"New to You"zu

Postby 2zuzus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Greetings Folks, Although I have been to this spot many times, I have finally passed the "lurker" state. Mainly I didn't have anything to actually contribute but that is now changing. I don't actually own a P'up, yet a very good friend of mine back in1985 talked about and then purchased a brand new dark blue regular cab 2WD standard trans model that we both agreed was a great machine. Around that time I was reading 4WD mags extolling the virtues of the very new Trooper. All sounded impressive. Jump ahead to 2015 and while looking for a replacement 1 ton crew cab pickup, a 1988 Trooper, 4 door, gas, standard trans ad had somehow made it's way into the search. It wasn't what I was looking for but I was intrigued by it, as I had always liked and had respect for the capabilities of the machine. I found and bought the 1 ton 130 miles away. The Trooper was in almost the same area. I bought that too around the same time! Now, I am not a Rockefeller by any means. Both vehicles were very affordable. The 1 ton was a replacement for a 1991 that was rotting away in the frame. My wife's 2005 Freestyle had developed a problem at 165,000 miles in the dastardly CVT trans. Repair was $3,000 minimum, the car booked at $1,400. Charity Cars got it. So with that hole in the stable, one SUV for another wasn't too far of a pitch to make to my wife (or myself) and we got the Trooper. At 140,000 miles the Trooper needed a clutch, a rear driveshaft center bearing, a reinstallation of the aftermarket manual hubs with some parts out! and correct shimming to make the machine reliable. A thorough cleaning made it drivable. Did I mention my wife is extremely happy with our Trooper? Anyway, after a head gasket job that popped up on the gasser, it's been doing very well. This year, early, we bought another Trooper, but much different, and what I was really hoping to find. God is Good by the way, all the time. I found a 1986 standard 2 door 2.2 Diesel Trooper... with 3rd Generation rods! That story is a really long odyssey that I won't get into. However, it's been the impetus for my more frequent visits to this site because of the 2.2. At this point I will make the statement to you folks in general: Thank you! Thank you for your time under the hood and elsewhere. Thank you for your time arranging your thoughts for your info presentation. Thank you for actually making the information available, in word and in very helpful pictures, and helpful it has been. I am hoping to make some useful contributions in the near future to help other fellow Isuzu owners. Best Regards, Chris.

puttputtinpup

Re: "New to You"zu

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Welcome to the site! Your story reminds me of a member named Ed Wright. He's not too active anymore. We'd love to see pictures if you have any

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Welcome to the site, Chris!

Jack

2zuzus

Postby 2zuzus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Thank you for the Welcomings. I'll have to learn how to post pictures, and to get them into the harddrive in the first place. My Daughter's boyfriend most likely knows how. This older dog learns new tricks a bit slowly. By the way Puttputtinpup, I got hold of the '86 diesel in Denton, NC. Bit of a ride home to The Peoples Republik of New Jersey. I mean "Tow" home. Chris

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:57 pm

We could have gotten together for a coffee and some Isuzu talk had I known.

2zuzus

Postby 2zuzus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Would have been great I'm sure. Was with the wife and she had had enough of me by that time anyway, haha.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:59 pm

2zuzus wrote:Would have been great I'm sure. Was with the wife and she had had enough of me by that time anyway, haha.

We've all been there, trust me...Until one day your wife is just riding down the road and suddenly blurts out "hey, there's a Pup!" Or you come home.e from work one day and she tells you she about a Pup (or Trooper)she saw somewhere and gives you a full description of it. Then you know they've been bitten by the Isuzu bug

2zuzus

Postby 2zuzus » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:51 pm

Great visual that created! I can honestly say though, my wife really likes the Troopers. She pretty much likes everything about them. And she has driven a manual trans since early on, so the 5 speed is no problem. I'll look forward to the day when she comes home and tells me about an Isuzu that caught HER eye. Now I'm working on a Disuzu (Our term for Diesel Isuzu Trooper) for her use. Thanks, Chris.