I miss her (a "luv" story of my first "car")

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
Wiwawy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1987 pup 2.3l gas no longer have:(

I miss her (a "luv" story of my first "car")

Postby Wiwawy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 pm

It was 1999 and I just turned 18 didn't have my licence or even know how to drive yet when news came that a family friend was moving out of state and selling his old work truck. A 1987 isuzu pickup with 131000 miles on it. 2.3 liter 2wd with a 5 speed no other options not even power steering. black with gold two tone brown interior with a bench seat. Gold aftermarket 14" wheels and an aftermarket casset deck. (He even threw in a free tape). My mom was able to scrape up just enough money ($1000) to buy it for me. But I could not have it till I got my licence. The freind took me on a quick lesson on how to drive a manual and delivered her to my house where she sat till I got my licence. (I might have snuck it out of the driveway once but we wont discuss that.) She wasnt the most beautiful but she was mine and the rest could be fixed. I started straight way sanding down the rust on the back corners of the cab roof and filled the holes with bondo and covering it up with black primer. But I didn't know what I was doing and ended having to do it again later. I removed the gold pinstriping and made up dreams up repainting and redoing the interior and instaling a good stereo and lowering and nice wheels like all kids, but alas, I was broke. I finally got enough to get some high quality automotive grade epoxy based primer and sprayed it in the backyard a beautiful asphalt grey color at some point I turned the grill emblem upside down so it read nznsi. Now it looked like I was doing something with it. I abused that little truck. I occasionally would go out wheeling on the river bar (again it was a 2wd) but only got stuck a couple times. And it was so light all you needed was your passenger to jump out and give you a little push and you were moving again. I remember pushing the limits with it, wind it right up to red line in first then second gear would chirp when I would drop the clutch. I remember the throttle feel when you came upon the mechanical linked secondary on the carb and how well that 90something hp engine would pull when you opened them. And if you stayed out of the secondarys (which I never did) you would get well over 20mpg. Even winding it up all the time I don't think I ever got less than 20 mpg. Even still I dont know how many times I ran out of gas and coasted into the gas station.
She handeled amazing for a little weightless truck. I would run up the winding northern california mountain roads way too fast. Push her just till you could hear the tires start to sing. But she never broke lose or spun out. I did all my own repairs. Changed the oil (not nearly as often as I should have) I didn't even check the oil as often as I should have. She leaked a little oil and I knew to add a couple quarts when the valves would start to clatter, then everything would be good again. I replaced the starter (after parking downhill and push staring it for a couple months), replaced the timing belt and water pump (in a grocery store parking lot across from the part house) among other repairs. Once I had a rear end vibration and I inspected and determined that I needed a rear end. I sourced a part truck for $300 and pulled the third member, cleaned it up and crawled under mine. Dropped the drive line and discovered that the yoke nut was loose. Tightened the nut reattached the drive line and all was good. She was there with me on my first date. (With a girl who eventually became my lovely wife (even after she spray painted neon pink hearts all over it. I didn't complain as it was a blank primed canvas at this point)). Towards the last few months of her life with me there were issues that forced me to sell her. First I got hit by an uninsured illegal imagrant causing some damage to the cab and bed. About a month later a motor home pulled out of a truck auto onto the freeway and hit me in the same exact spot. Not too lomg after that she finally blew a head gasket, I continued to drive her but knew the days were numbered. It was only a couple weeks before the throwout bearing for the clutch gave up when I decided it was time. My grandfather sold me his old 1984 Nissan 720 which was not near as awesome at the p'up. Then I drove her to a grocery store about 12 miles away and put a sign in the window. I sold her the next day for $300. I dont remember the mileage when I sold her but I gad loved her for 5 years. One day I would love to find another, but I never imagined that it would be harder to find a 87 p'up than a '64 mustang was to find in 1999.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: I miss her (a "luv" story of my first "car")

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Welcome to the site. Wow, what a story!

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Welcome to the site! Any pictures to go along with the story?

Wiwawy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1987 pup 2.3l gas no longer have:(

Postby Wiwawy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Unfortunately all the pictures are gone after a hard drive crash (always back up)

I also forgot to tell of the times I loaded so much with sand and gravel that the axle rode on the frame.