New to Isuzu pups

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
hunglo512
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1992 isuzu pickup bodied on juice

New to Isuzu pups

Postby hunglo512 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Hello guys!! I am Saul from Austin, Texas. I purchased this 1992 Isuzu pup from a long time friend that’s had the truck for a few years. It’s called “the booger” and I’m sure some of y’all have seen it. He bought the truck and has always had problems with the clutch. The clutch finally gave and the truck sat for about 3 years. I bought the truck for my wife and got it running again. Here’s the problem I’m having with it now....

I was told it was a 2.3 motor and had been swapped with a 2.6 I was given a 2.6 transmission and had it installed with a new clutch/flywheel only to find out it won’t work. It won’t allow you to change gears when the truck is on. When the truck is off I can go in and out of any gear. I did some research and found that the motor I have in the truck is a freaking 2.3 and not a 2.6..... SO... I bought a 2.3 transmission and a blown 2.3 motor for a really good price! I am going to try and install it this Sunday with a friend. What do you guys think the problem is?? Hopefully it’s just the wrong transmission :roll:
Attachments
308821E3-3D42-4A0B-B8B1-BEE69C66B220.jpeg

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: New to Isuzu pups

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Saul,

Welcome to the site.

Let's not get technical here, but the 2.6 transmission should work and may be easier to use. It's definitely stronger, and has a higher 5th gear ratio. We might also have some suggestions on getting the frame up off the ground. :lol:

Isuzu's marketing people got really creative in 1988. ;) Rather than carrying over the "P'up" name to its replacement, they gave it a new name: "Pickup". Personally, I think they should have leveraged the popularity of the "P'up" brand and carried it over. But who knows, maybe GM was calling the shots. But they didn't. So the 1987 model year ended the P'up era. From what I've seen here, the Pickup was (and still is) an underrated truck.

Jack

hunglo512

Postby hunglo512 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Ok pickup... So the 2.6 transmission is in the truck now but I am unable to change gears when the truck is running. I’m beyond frustrated with this problem

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:13 pm

hunglo512 wrote:Ok pickup... So the 2.6 transmission is in the truck now but I am unable to change gears when the truck is running. I’m beyond frustrated with this problem

I'd suggest posting the long version of this problem over in "General Troubleshooting and Maintenance". Not everybody reads this section, but some really smart people hang out over there. If oldestisuzuist sees your post, you'll have your answer. ;)

Jack

hunglo512

Postby hunglo512 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:48 pm

I’ll try and navigate that way. Thank you sir!

lowzone

Postby lowzone » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:16 am

you can message me if you need, i work on the 88-95 body style trucks and have a surplus of parts and knowledge. is that stock floor body drop or traditional? I'm on Facebook Ron Strub and on Isuzu Minis page there as well....
Ron
texts welcome 9-5 EST (its family time after that and weekends ;) )
201-983-3176
if i build it, it will scrape......or catch on fire