Why should I do an Intro?

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Why should I do an Intro?

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Or, the Parable of the P'up Diner

Imagine you're sitting in a cozy little diner, drinking coffee, and having conversation with other P'up owners. The group is big enough that there may be a few side conversations going on. Some of the guys have questions, some have answers, some just want to shoot the breeze.

Everybody notices when an unfamiliar P'up drives up outside and the driver looks ecstatic to be able to park next to other P'ups. He (or occasionally she) walks in, sees the crowd of people wearing P'up t-shirts and, and asks to can join in. Everybody says "Sure", and he sits down orders a coffee. About 30 seconds of introductions, then everybody is back to their conversations.

Next, a guy drives up in a lowered Pickup. The crowd winces because he scrapes on a pothole, but they get over it. He parks next to a P'up and he's careful not to park too close. Before coming in, he takes a close look at someone's SpaceCab P'up, with obvious admiration. He walks in, finds the group, and timidly introduces himself. Somebody orders him a coffee, and makes room for him.

Then another stranger walks in. Nobody saw a P'up drive up, but this guy looks focused on finding the P'up crowd. And without a greeting or introduction, he squeezes in between two guys at a table, and and starts asking for parts or advice. Someone asks him specifics about what he's driving, where he's from, and he simply ignores their questions.

I'm guessing the new guys won't all get the same impression of their welcome.

All analogies are flawed if you push them too far, but this is kinda the way I see our community. Anybody else want to weigh in?

Jack

OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Re: Why should I do an Intro?

Postby OzarkDaredevil » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Yep.

I'd guess nearly 100% of the people who have joined this forum originally came here because they needed help (myself included). Actually I started my P'up/Luv journey on another, less friendly, site. Thanks to Jack for steering me to this site and inviting me into the fold. Having been a member of other specialized forums I already understood that I was asking to become part of a group of people whose experience and knowledge base was vast. As a newbie I had nothing to offer and everything to gain. Since I was hoping to get tons of free help and advice while resurrecting my truck the least I could do was make the process as painless as possible for my mentors. In this case, listing my location and vehicle specs in my profile and signature was the least I could do.

As I see it, if a person can't take the time to introduce themself then I don't have time for them. For that matter I have little patience for people who begrudgingly post an intro.

This is Jack's place. We're all welcomed guests. The house rules are few and fair.
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver

Crabshackint
Isuzu vehicle(s): 82 pup diesel 2wd no ps no ac

Postby Crabshackint » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:17 pm

This is more like a community of... neighbors.

Introduce yourself to your neighbor before you borrow some sugar.
-Kyle-
1982 diesel 2.2 pup longbed 2wd 5 spd no PS no AC.
1988 2.3 ranger 2wd 5 spd
2004 Toyota Tacoma inline 4 5spd 4x4

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 83 Dsl LS Long Bed 4x4, 82 Dsl 2wd Short Bed 5 spd

Postby Halden » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:53 pm

I joined this forum in anticipation of finding a truck, and everyone here was so incredibly helpful. I agree 100%, Jack.
Baddd Jerry and I have talked about it and sometimes he'll help people with parts and advice and will never hear back from them again, all we would like is a simple thank you. It's rather frustrating.

I like that analogy. Hits the nail on the head.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard

daleoct28

Postby daleoct28 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:05 am

I found out the same thing about the people on this site. You guys are on it and very helpful. I joined because I couldn't find parts but got a couple of responses quick. thanks Guys. I'll be back. that's a promise
thanks again.
daleoct28

OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Postby OzarkDaredevil » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Halden wrote:I joined this forum in anticipation of finding a truck, and everyone here was so incredibly helpful. I agree 100%, Jack.
Baddd Jerry and I have talked about it and sometimes he'll help people with parts and advice and will never hear back from them again, all we would like is a simple thank you. It's rather frustrating.

Like others here I have been "used" by a newbie. Hate to say it, but a newer member will need to demonstrate some sort of track record before I'll go out of my way again. Post subjects of "Help Help, I need I NEED!" don't get read by me anymore unless I recognize the user. Call me jaded.

We've seen brand new members actually get snotty when asked to post a simple introduction. IMO that's strike 2.9

Of the three forum websites that my truck fits into, this site by far is the best. Matter of fact there's no comparison. Thanks to Jack and the tone he sets I've not only soaked up truckloads of useful knowledge here but, more importantly, made friends.

Jack, stick to your guns. The analogy was spot-on. However no explanations are required for your wishes and rules. This is your house. Those who don't care for your house rules should be shown the door. Swiftly.
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver

Isuzu Faster
Isuzu vehicle(s): '86 1.9L G200Z 4-Spd. 2WD

Postby Isuzu Faster » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:44 pm

I also agree 100%. This community has always been great to me, I can't thank you all more. Came here originally simply to meet people who have the same truck, and thanks to all your help, I was able to complete my "restoration", with various parts and diagrams, among others. I will always try and be of service, especially for English-Japanese translation needs.

In Japanese, there's a historically and culturally embedded phrase: Shitashiki mono ni wa reigi ari, or "Politeness and courtesy for those you are indebted to." Seems many in recent society, even over in Japan, have forgotten how important this phrase is. It's great to help people keep these trucks on the road, but certainly, in my opinion a P'up only deserves to be driven by a person with a bit of sense, manners and dignity. If people don't fit with that, then I say "Go drive a Datsun!"
~ Cheers, Steve.

1986 Isuzu P'up (Faster 2WD), 1.9L G200Z Gasoline, 4-spd, Beige Amino-Alkyd Enamel.

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:47 am

OzarkDaredevil wrote:
Halden wrote:I joined this forum in anticipation of finding a truck, and everyone here was so incredibly helpful. I agree 100%, Jack.

Like others here I have been "used" by a newbie. Hate to say it, but a newer member will need to demonstrate some sort of track record before I'll go out of my way again. Post subjects of "Help Help, I need I NEED!" don't get read by me anymore unless I recognize the user. Call me jaded.

We've seen brand new members actually get snotty when asked to post a simple introduction. IMO that's strike 2.9

Of the three forum websites that my truck fits into, this site by far is the best. Matter of fact there's no comparison. Thanks to Jack and the tone he sets I've not only soaked up truckloads of useful knowledge here but, more importantly, made friends.

Jack, stick to your guns. The analogy was spot-on. However no explanations are required for your wishes and rules. This is your house. Those who don't care for your house rules should be shown the door. Swiftly.

Well said, Tom!

I couldn't agree more.
1991 4X4 Pickup powered by a Gen 3 Trooper Turbo Diesel engine built by Jerry Lemond. 5 Speed Trooper MSG tranny behind the engine.

81_luvlife

Postby 81_luvlife » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:13 pm

I haven't needed any help yet but, I've scanned the forum and people are very helpful here. First place I'll come to for advice..... Well only place. For some reason I can't make an account on Luvtruck.com. Says I can't use my email address. I've used my personal and work email. Oh well.

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:14 pm

81_luvlife wrote:I haven't needed any help yet but, I've scanned the forum and people are very helpful here. First place I'll come to for advice..... Well only place. For some reason I can't make an account on Luvtruck.com. Says I can't use my email address. I've used my personal and work email. Oh well.

Well you're definitely in the right place, and welcome aboard!

I see you're in Lakewood, WA. I used to work in Lakewood on Gravelly Lake Drive. Living on the east coast now in NC. Seeing your location brought a smile to my face. I miss WA state dearly. Especially knowing there are so many Pups and LUVs up there with no east coast rust!
1991 4X4 Pickup powered by a Gen 3 Trooper Turbo Diesel engine built by Jerry Lemond. 5 Speed Trooper MSG tranny behind the engine.

81_luvlife

Postby 81_luvlife » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Hahahaha I live right off Gravelly lake. My truck is pretty clean.

timothy222
Isuzu vehicle(s): 85 Isuzu 5 speed long bed Pup diesel

Postby timothy222 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:36 am

I just read what Jack (Joe Isuzu ) commented on why we new to the group should do an intro , and that others could weigh in also as to why an intro is beneficial , I enjoyed reading the analogy and wanted to say my experience of the several who have answered my questions and given wise advice is much appreciated , and as I learned other details about there pu p journey or better yet views or experiences on life it made an appreciation and respect GROW in my mind toward them , Blessed to know you all . having just sucessfully completed the trany Upgrade threw your help my appreciation is alive !
Timothy 222
1984 (or 1985?) diesel