My P'up - Act II

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
ronster
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Longbed, 5 Speed, Diesel

Re: My P'up - Act II

Post by ronster »

And the road trip begins...
Attachments
image.jpg
82 Isuzu Pup Dsl, 2wd, 5sp, Lb - 215k mi
63 Ford Falcon - 423k mi
00 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 - D4D 1KD-FTV converted - 133k mi
97 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 - TRD supercharged - 98k mi
02 Subaru WRX - TurboXS Stage 2 kit, - 140k mi
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I got home about 45 minutes ago. I spent the night with family about 15 minutes east of Montgomery, and didn't leave them until 3:00 this afternoon. I didn't stop until Tupelo, MS. I filled up, and my mileage was 28.4 mpg. I suspect it will get better once the rings get seated.

Jerry did a fantastic job with the truck. My uncle couldn't stop talking about the exhaust work (which was clearly visible without a bed installed).

Thanks to Ron (ronster) for meeting me, and taking me to Jerry's. Ron, it was great visiting with you. I hope Ron will show off his Toyota 4Runner here. We're not prejudiced! :)

And it was good to meet Marty (lserd.oldrp). Marty finally explained his username: "Loose rod. Oil Drip". And all this time, I just thought it was some random letters! ;) I have some pictures to post, but they'll have to wait a day or so.

After parking the truck at HOME, I told my wife that it feels like a little bit of balance has been restored to the universe now. ;)

Jack
OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Post by OzarkDaredevil »

Decoding Marty's usename was worth the trip!
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

OzarkDaredevil wrote:Decoding Marty's usename was worth the trip!
:lol: :lol:
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

That's about as bad as one guy we used have regularly on here named Chris. His screen name was the call letters for Sea Wolf N5638J...the TV show.. :roll: Took us a while to figure that one out..memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=568 He was a good kid. Came to our very 1st Pup Meet in Charlotte, NC
nucleus

Post by nucleus »

Glad the balance has been restored, Jack!
1991 4X4 Pickup powered by a Gen 3 Trooper Turbo Diesel engine built by Jerry Lemond. 5 Speed Trooper MSG tranny behind the engine.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I hope to post some photos tomorrow. I need to take a picture of a part that Jerry replace. You won't believe it when you see it.

I've found a body shop that specializes in restorations. I'm hoping to take the truck to them for an estimate this week. They told me they'd even done a diesel P'up once, several years ago. Said the guy had bought it brand new, and wanted to restore it and pass it down to his son. I don't know who it was.

Jack
Gerald K4NHN

Post by Gerald K4NHN »

My neck hurts looking at those pictures...

That's like a long lost child coming home....
Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, SC

"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

1983 LS DIESEL LONG BED 2 W/D 126K miles

1986 LS Trooper Tubro Diesel 4 W/D 186K + miles SOLD
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Here are some shots of the P'up, before leaving Jerry's...
Jerry mounted my tail lights, and put the tailgate and a piece of wood over the wheels, to stop any debris from getting thrown up.
Jerry mounted my tail lights, and put the tailgate and a piece of wood over the wheels, to stop any debris from getting thrown up.

bedless2.jpg

bedless3.jpg

bedless4.jpg
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

And back at home, installing the "new" bed...

Pretty cool how the right equipment makes things MUCH easier! :)
bed_install1.jpg

bed_install2.jpg

And now it's on!
bed_on.jpg

I put nuts only on the two studs that are permanently attached to the bed. No loads for now, it's just for the trip to the body shop.

Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

JoeIsuzu wrote:I hope to post some photos tomorrow. I need to take a picture of a part that Jerry replace. You won't believe it when you see it.

Ok, as promised. Jerry says this piston came out of my engine. The engine was having unpredictable oil consumption issues, but it always started quickly, ran smoothly, and had plenty of power. In fact, I spent quite a lot of time over 75 mph on the way to Jerry's place to deliver the truck to him. He says this was piston #2 or #3...
piston1.jpg

It may have been due to some diesel that was contaminated by gasoline, or from a glow plug that came apart. He did say that two of the glow plugs had lost their tips.
piston2.jpg

Here's a shot with backlighting, just for the effect...
piston_backlit.jpg

I'm still dumbfounded by this. :shock:

Jack
OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Post by OzarkDaredevil »

HOLY COW!!
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver
Gerald K4NHN

Post by Gerald K4NHN »

Did you have a lot of blowby and pressure in the lower section.
Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, SC

"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

1983 LS DIESEL LONG BED 2 W/D 126K miles

1986 LS Trooper Tubro Diesel 4 W/D 186K + miles SOLD
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Gerald K4NHN wrote:Did you have a lot of blowby and pressure in the lower section.

I guess so. I could see smoke from under the hood when at a stop light, but I assumed this was normal for its age. I guess it will be a lot less now, but I won't see it anyway. I no longer have a draft tube.

Jack
heathw
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 Pickup 223 diesel conversion

Post by heathw »

Wow. No loss of power.
91 Isuzu p/u Converted to 223 diesel