My P'up - Act II

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: My P'up - Act II

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I finished up early this afternoon, so I went to the Montgomery Pull-A-Part. The '86 was pretty trashed. It was a gasoline-powered 4x4 LS, but there was very little in it that was usable. The console seemed to be intact, and it had the instrument cluster with a tach (for the gas engine).

Jack
canadian bacon

Post by canadian bacon »

What Kyle said about the paint. That's right on the money.

My two cents anyway.
dlxpup_its209

Post by dlxpup_its209 »

Hey Joe I like the originality of the two tone paint definitely dig it but anything different is pretty cool too. I know this isn't much of the place to ask but do you like the impulse trans in the long bed? how did it drive?
1982 dlx 168 k and only more to come X)
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

dlxpup_its209 wrote:Hey Joe I like the originality of the two tone paint definitely dig it but anything different is pretty cool too. I know this isn't much of the place to ask but do you like the impulse trans in the long bed? how did it drive?

It's definitely no help around town, except when I have to jump on the interstate to go across town. For the last 3 years, I've had a cross-town interstate commute, so that was good.

This was its first real road trip, and I was able to cruise at 80 mph on the flats, but there were some hills that took me down to about 65. Fuel economy was disappointing (29.9 mpg) but I guess not surprising, considering my average speed was 69 mph after I deducted the time for the bio-break and sammich.

Jack
dlxpup_its209

Post by dlxpup_its209 »

:mrgreen: I am kinda envious , I wouldn't ever think to go 80 . my motor sounds like its driving hard at 65. I really enjoy driving it . so I wanna treat it right so it will last forever. I wonder what rpms mine is at when driving 55.
1982 dlx 168 k and only more to come X)
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

dlxpup_its209 wrote:I wonder what rpms mine is at when driving 55.

I could have told you that before I upgraded my transmission. Now, with the Impulse transmission, 80 MPH is about 3,200 RPM. So 75 is comfortably under 3,000 RPM.

Jack
minidiesel

Post by minidiesel »

Jack,I made cayce sc from Tampa fl. on 15 gal. about 38 mpg ,sorry we missed you it was a great time.
1986 Isuzu pup long bed diesel 5 spd 2 wd .
1986 winnbago lesharo Renault turbo diesel.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Andy asked about the status of my overhaul, so here's the latest update that I have.

The engine was back in the truck, and Jerry fired it up. He the oil pressure came u quickly, but after about 10 seconds it made a loud screeching noise and they shut it down.

On inspection, he found that the camshaft had seized up, causing the timing belt to jump a few notches. This broke some rockers, and bent some pushrods. Jerry thought the shop that hot tanked it may have installed the bearing crooked.

The engine will have to come back out to remove the cam and bearing. Jerry's helper (Dan) has been busy with work, so this is going slow.

I don't have a good guess on when it will be done.

Jack
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

Ouch!
Gerald K4NHN

Post by Gerald K4NHN »

Well that sucks :-(
Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, SC

"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

1983 LS DIESEL LONG BED 2 W/D 126K miles

1986 LS Trooper Tubro Diesel 4 W/D 186K + miles SOLD
ronster
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Longbed, 5 Speed, Diesel

Post by ronster »

Wow, that is no fun. Maybe I can help Jerry. I'll be in Atlanta next week. I know all too well how frustrating surprises like that can be.
82 Isuzu Pup Dsl, 2wd, 5sp, Lb - 215k mi
63 Ford Falcon - 423k mi
00 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 - D4D 1KD-FTV converted - 133k mi
97 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 - TRD supercharged - 98k mi
02 Subaru WRX - TurboXS Stage 2 kit, - 140k mi
OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Post by OzarkDaredevil »

Sheeesh. Bummer.
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Great news from Jerry. After getting the engine all ready to pull, he decided to look at the rocker arm assembly nce more. He found a retainer that was out of tolerance and was binding up. He did some polishing, put it back together, and he's confident that was the problem. So now he's putting everything back, and hopes to have it running soon.

I'm ready to have it home!

Jack
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

I bet you are!
ronster
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Longbed, 5 Speed, Diesel

Post by ronster »

I can be happy for you and selfishly enjoy your good news. I'm getting closer to driving mine as well.
82 Isuzu Pup Dsl, 2wd, 5sp, Lb - 215k mi
63 Ford Falcon - 423k mi
00 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 - D4D 1KD-FTV converted - 133k mi
97 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 - TRD supercharged - 98k mi
02 Subaru WRX - TurboXS Stage 2 kit, - 140k mi