My P'up - Act II

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: My P'up - Act II

Post by JoeIsuzu »

UPDATE:
I've been saving up, as I looked for someone who would do the body work (minor dents, hail damage) and paint the truck right. I had a reference, and he looked at the truck today. I like him, and I think we're going to strike a deal. He's estimating four weeks once he gets it. Unfortunately, the P'up has been my daily driver since I loaned the CR-V to my son, who is (hopefully) about to get into nursing school. We'll have to help him replace his vehicle so I can get mine back. :)

Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

It's been almost four years since the last update. The guy who I thought would paint it -- he never got back to me, and ignored my calls and voicemails. :(

My son got his own car, got married, finished nursing school, and has been working in Salem, OR since about July of 2019. So The P'up has been parked in the garage, and I've been driving the CR-V again for the last few years.

But I got a referral for another shop, and I think we may be able get this job going. He has quite a backlog, so he probably won't get started until March or April.

Right now, I'm hoping to stay as close to "original" as possible. Some trim can't be replaced, so the side cladding and front bumper trim will be gone. Side mirrors will be replaced (they're floppy), but I have no idea what I'll use. I'll want them black, like the original LS color. I'm open to suggestions.

Jack
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

Are you still looking for flat mounted power mirrors?
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

puttputtinpup wrote:Are you still looking for flat mounted power mirrors?

I spent about an hour today doing exactly that (online). :)

Jack
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

JoeIsuzu wrote:
puttputtinpup wrote:Are you still looking for flat mounted power mirrors?

I spent about an hour today doing exactly that (online). :)

Jack

I looked around a bit for ya myself. 8)
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I'm tempted to just walk the Pull-a-Part yard and see if there's anything that looks like a good candidate. If something looks good, I could remove it and see how it mounts -- even if I don't buy it.

Jack
Paul

Post by Paul »

JoeIsuzu wrote:Side mirrors will be replaced (they're floppy), but I have no idea what I'll use. I'll want them black, like the original LS color. I'm open to suggestions.

Jack

Jack - -

If 'floppy' is the only problem with your mirrors, they are fixable, I think. The cover at the bottom can be carefully pried off and this will reveal a nut which can tighten the spring that holds the mirrors in place.

The cover can be difficult to remove. So, once I got mine off, I ground the retaining tabs off the cover and then drilled and tapped for two flat head screws to hold the cover on. If this is not clear let me know and I can take some photos.

Also, I have found that the black plastic responds well to cleaning and polishing and a coat of plastic preservative.

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Paul,

I've had them apart to clean, lubricate, and adjust them at least a couple of times over the years. But even at best, the were pretty bouncy due to the design of the mounting base. Because it is long, and not tall (see pics), it does not have enough vertical support. The door sheetmetal just flexes. Isuzu apparently noticed this, and quietly redesigned the base for 1984 and later models. The new mounting base was more square, spreading the vertical loads.

I found out about this change when I ordered a replacement set from Isuzu in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I had to drive across town to the dealer, pay for them ($32 each, ouch!), and wait a couple of weeks to get them. And when I got the replacements, of course they didn't fit. They wouldn't even cover both mounting holes. So I had to go BACK to the dealer. They told me the new part number was to replace the old one -- and that the mirrors were interchangeable. I had to show them that they were NOT, and insist on the '83 style, just so my mounting holes would work.

So I really don't want to put the '83 mirrors back on it. The body shop will fill the holes, and I can use anything I like that has a flat mounting base and minimal depth requirements (due to the window glass).

Jack
Attachments
E2F96E07-ABF3-4BC5-BDF9-AEB86A1C8DAD.jpeg
4C27048B-66F4-46D1-99F6-922F4F96E142.jpeg
Paul

Post by Paul »

JoeIsuzu wrote:Paul,

I've had them apart to clean, lubricate, and adjust them at least a couple of times over the years. But even at best, the were pretty bouncy due to the design of the mounting base. Because it is long, and not tall (see pics), it does not have enough vertical support. The door sheetmetal just flexes. Isuzu apparently noticed this, and quietly redesigned the base for 1984 and later models. The new mounting base was more square, spreading the vertical loads.

I found out about this change when I ordered a replacement set from Isuzu in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I had to drive across town to the dealer, pay for them ($32 each, ouch!), and wait a couple of weeks to get them. And when I got the replacements, of course they didn't fit. They wouldn't even cover both mounting holes. So I had to go BACK to the dealer. They told me the new part number was to replace the old one -- and that the mirrors were interchangeable. I had to show them that they were NOT, and insist on the '83 style, just so my mounting holes would work.

So I really don't want to put the '83 mirrors back on it. The body shop will fill the holes, and I can use anything I like that has a flat mounting base and minimal depth requirements (due to the window glass).

Jack

Jack - -

OK, I see that your mirrors are different than mine. I will include some photos of mine on my '84 truck. These mirrors are pretty much rock solid but do not have a flat mounting base. The base has a contour to fit the same on the door panel. You can see this in the photos. You can also see the screws I used to make the covers easily removed.

Paul

Left Side 4.jpg

Left Side 1.jpg
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

I like those, Paul. I'll have to say, I think those might be the 1st set of mirrors like those I've seen. My 84 auto had the bracket that also mounted lower on the door. Mirror attached to the horizontal part. Idk what the style is called.
I'll check pictures of my 85 LS.and see what it had.
Paul

Post by Paul »

puttputtinpup wrote:My 84 auto had the bracket that also mounted lower on the door. Mirror attached to the horizontal part. Idk what the style is called.

I don't know either but I have always referred to them as 'cowboy' mirrors. My truck had those but I found the ones you see in the photos in a wrecking yard and eventually installed them.

Paul
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I forgot, I already had a topic specifically about upgrading the side mirrors:
Electric Remote Mirrors?

Jack
Rjonesy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Turbo Diesel Space Cab LS

Post by Rjonesy »

Just saw this post. Paul's mirrors are the same as those on my '86 LS. I was looking on EBAY and they look pretty identical to those spec'ed for the'88 - '93 Pickup with maybe a slight difference to the angle on the mounting bezel. FYI.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Rjonesy wrote:Just saw this post. Paul's mirrors are the same as those on my '86 LS. I was looking on EBAY and they look pretty identical to those spec'ed for the'88 - '93 Pickup with maybe a slight difference to the angle on the mounting bezel. FYI.

I'm pretty sure the '84-up LS P'ups used the same mirrors as '88-up Pickups and Amigos. But I'm still looking for power mirrors (or at least cable operated remote mirrors).

Jack
Rjonesy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Turbo Diesel Space Cab LS

Post by Rjonesy »

; )