My pup! (Or rather my grandfather’s hand me down pup)

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
Mgdehnel
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Isuzu Pup 2.2 NA. Rebuilt with forklift parts

My pup! (Or rather my grandfather’s hand me down pup)

Post by Mgdehnel »

A few months after my grandmother died (and years before i was born) my grandfather bought a 1983 2.2 pup 5 speed. It is hilarious to look at the original build sheet for everything he requested it not have… no radio, no ac, no power steering, he even had them remove the passenger seat before they sold it to him! He was convinced he was going to camp the rest of his life in this thing, and even put a camper shell on it as his first stop after the dealer. I now have put about 50,000 miles on a truck that was garaged most of its life, as my grandfather decided to travel the world for his retirement. At some point a mismatched passenger seat was put in. Every time i drive him around (he’s 94 now) on a hot day he asks me to turn on the AC. I remind him he saved a few dollars by not having it installed, and he exclaims “I NEVER WOULD HAVE DONE SUCH A FOOLISH THING!”. The truck runs like a top. He used marvel mystery oil in EVERY fill up and i still do. The injectors are still original, at nearly 210,000 at the shock of my buddy diesel mechanic. No major issues whatsoever, save a few small things. Ended up having to use a forklift primer pump as it matches the factory style. The odometer number wheel has recently melted together and just clicked… had to be removed. Other than that, no complaints! I love my little Suzie (as he called it)
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: My pup! (Or rather my grandfather’s hand me down pup)

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Great story. We don't have a lot of original (or original family) owners.

What are your plans for the P'up?

Jack
BravoDrew

Post by BravoDrew »

Welcome to the forum! So glad to see another LA P'up owner on here. These trucks look beautiful in the California sun. Hope you'll post pics of the rig some time. Your grandpa is like the P'up -- just keeps going!
New owner, '86 Isuzu P'Up Turbo Diesel SpaceCab, 5-spd, 2wd
LaFlTx89
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1989 1-owner Isuzu Pickup (2.3 l)

Post by LaFlTx89 »

Love it!
Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 83 Dsl LS Long Bed 4x4, 82 Dsl 2wd Short Bed 5 spd

Post by Halden »

Love the story!

Honestly I'm not surprised it's the original injectors. Mechanical injectors, if you run good clean fuel, will stay good for a long time. Spray patterns might be a little wonky but nothing crazy. Ideally you get them checked every so often.

Welcome aboard.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard