Newbie here.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
Joeblack5
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 diesel 5 speed

Newbie here.

Post by Joeblack5 »

Howdy folks .finally happy to be on board. Chasing down a diesel pup for the last 5 years and it seems it is happening now.
1983 diesel five speed. Sat for the last 5 years outside in pa weather so the rocker panels are gone. Originally from washington with only surface rust .
Anyhow put a new battery in it, checked oil. Filled up coolant and just a click...no starter motor. .. found the direct solenoid wire and bypassed whatever is wrong between the starter relay and the starter solenoid. Fired up at the first turn. Pretty happy with that.
So this is now part of my 1980's ultra low power diesel collection.. including jeep cherokee 2.1 turbo diesel...mercedes G 4*4 OM 616 diesel...land rover pickup 2.5 diesel...lada niva 4*4 diesel 1.9..and a bunch of mercedes wagon diesels.

First gear is not engaging and it could use a new front bench seat. Needs tires and some lights fixed..
Thanks for having this site.

Johan
Lada niva diesel..jeep pioneer 2.1 turbo diesel...mercedes GD240D....land rover 2.5D pickup.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Newbie here.

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Welcome to the site, Johan!

I was part of the same club. My history:
1980 VW Rabbit diesel
1983 P'up
1986 Toyota Camry Turbdiesel
1990 MB 350 SDL

Jack
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

Welcome to the site, Johan. Check for a cracked firewall right where the clutch cable goes through. They tend to crack from the flexing and thus prevent full clutch disengagement.
Joeblack5

Post by Joeblack5 »

Hi Jack, hope you still are. Kind of enjoy working the car in traffic to keep up with it.. keeps you sharp about the opportunity to be in the right gear at the right time.

Just did all the title work for antique vehicle. Now sit tight for 8 weeks.

Putt-Putt...thank you. I saw a repaired firewall and did not realize what it was. Lots to learn. Just picked up a couple of 15" steel wheels .. the front tires on 14" are ...eh desintegrated.

I will start a thread about my missing first gear..replacement rocker panels...and front bench.

Johan
Lada niva diesel..jeep pioneer 2.1 turbo diesel...mercedes GD240D....land rover 2.5D pickup.
guslevy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Isuzu Pup Turbo Diesel

Post by guslevy »

welcome Johan
Joeblack5

Post by Joeblack5 »

Thank you , guslevy, where in NY are you,
Noticed that the northeast does not seem to have a meet like other area's in the USA.
I see you have a turbo diesel.. is that aftermarket? or he later engine with turbo?

Johan
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Joeblack5 wrote:Thank you , guslevy, where in NY are you,
Noticed that the northeast does not seem to have a meet like other area's in the USA.
I see you have a turbo diesel.. is that aftermarket? or he later engine with turbo?

We've never had regular, scheduled meets. We've had a few meets in various locations, but they were one-time events.

There are not a lot of old Isuzus in the northeastern US, mainly because of the salt that is applied there in the winters. Vehicles over 10 years old are far less common there than in milder climates.

Jack
Joeblack5

Post by Joeblack5 »

Thanks Jack, still in the introduction phase I guess.. got a couple of 15" rims with tires to replace the flat dry rotted 14" rims... Well they rub in the front. So need smaller ones..here some pics of the rust situation.. frame looks pretty good. Does not feel like there is rust inside the frame beams..
Joeblack5

Post by Joeblack5 »

Thanks Jack, still in the introduction phase I guess.. got a couple of 15" rims with tires to replace the flat dry rotted 14" rims... Well they rub in the front. So need smaller ones..
IMG_20201112_152817391_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201112_152817391_HDR.jpg

here some pics of the rust situation.. frame looks pretty good. Does not feel like there is rust inside the frame beams..
IMG_20201112_160059572.jpg

Another
IMG_20201112_153212291.jpg
Joeblack5

Post by Joeblack5 »

Winter weather is gone .. finally pulled the pup to my own diesel field.. the starter started working again.. first and third gear were gone but I was able to drive it on the dolly in second gear.. when unloading suddenly 1 gear was available but no reverse is gone. After removing the rubber boot I could see that the gear lever seems is loose in the ball.
Attachments
IMG_20210325_162549755.jpg
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

Yep, tighten the shift lever down and you should be good to go!
guslevy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Isuzu Pup Turbo Diesel

Post by guslevy »

I am in Huntington, NY ( Long Island )