Midlife crisis P'up

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
davidgrace
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 P'up, 1986 Trooper II diesel engine project

Midlife crisis P'up

Postby davidgrace » Tue May 26, 2020 12:34 pm

I learned to drive in my dad's 1982 P'up Diesel and when I was 16 and bought a 1984 P'up Diesel missing it's transmission from a neighbor. After obtaining a transmission I drove my P'up for a few years including a runaway trip up the west coast when I was 17.
A couple years ago I found a 1986 Trooper II diesel at my local scrap yard. I pulled the engine and some wiring and found a donor 1986 P'up to put it in. It has been a slow process finding the time and parts to put my new P'up together and am looking forward to this network resource to help me find a few of my missing parts.

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 83 Dsl LS Long Bed 4x4, 82 Dsl 2wd Short Bed 5 spd

Re: Midlife crisis P'up

Postby Halden » Tue May 26, 2020 12:40 pm

Great story

Welcome aboard
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue May 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Dittos to what Jack said. Do you know for sure that the trooper engine runs?

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue May 26, 2020 4:13 pm

Welcome to the site, So once you have it all working, it will be quite an upgrade from the '84 model. Your "new" engine has a turbo, right? And the '86 P'up -- was it gas, or diesel?

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 pm

puttputtinpup wrote:Dittos to what Jack HALDEN said. Do you know for sure that the trooper engine runs?

Getting old isn't fun

davidgrace

Postby davidgrace » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:59 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:Welcome to the site, So once you have it all working, it will be quite an upgrade from the '84 model. Your "new" engine has a turbo, right? And the '86 P'up -- was it gas, or diesel?

Jack

I am definitely looking forward to the power boost with the Turbo. The truck started as a gasser, wiring harness is from a 81 L'uv and have been having lots of fun trying to figure out how to wire the Trooper engine in.

davidgrace

Postby davidgrace » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:03 am

puttputtinpup wrote:Dittos to what Jack said. Do you know for sure that the trooper engine runs?

I started the engine at the junk yard before pulling it, started right up. The engine had obvious signs of head gasket issues so I pulled the head to discover the head had cracks between the valves... I replaced the head and head gasket, so finger crossed it's a good engine. the other day when I was installing the starter i pulled the lower air intake hose that goes into the turbo and about a 1/4 cup of oil came out of the cool side turbo.. Yuck! not a good sign, but time will tell...