New member intro

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
cbenware
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Isuzu P'up DLX 4X4 SWB 2.2 NA Diesel

New member intro

Postby cbenware » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:33 pm

Hello everyone. I’m a longtime small Diesel engine fan who just bought my first p’up. I picked up a 1983 4x4 with 245,000 miles on it and some rust for $2600 in Olympia Washington. The engine was rebuilt at 65000 miles by the dealership and it was towed behind an RV until about 120k so it’s a fairly fresh engine.

This p’up was originally a California car and is equipped with egr, air conditioning and cruise control. It’s been well cared for and seems in fairly good health. The previous owner had performed pretty significant maintenance including glow plugs, clutch, water pump, brakes, heater core, alternator, starter and exhaust. Came with two sets of wheels and a complete factory service manual. I felt good about paying $2600 as he came down from $2800 and was firm after that.

The truck doesn’t need much but some things I’m planning to address are minor interior repairs including glove box and seat upholstery. I’m going to do the 2” rear shackles and have sourced parts from independent4x plus go about an inch up in the front via torsion bar adjustment. Also needs some work on the antennae, it’s loose.

The bed is fairly rusted on the bottom so I’m going to see if it’s worth salvaging and see about addressing the rust. It has a bed liner on it now and had a canopy for most of its life. Also going to clean and detail the whole thing. Tailgate is rusted out so I might put a net on it for now.

I’ll post some pictures once I get it cleaned up a little. I already love the forum and am looking forward to diving in.
1983 Isuzu P'up DLX 4X4 SWB 2.2 NA Diesel

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: New member intro

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:17 am

Welcome to the site.

I'm a little surprised the bed is so rusty. Seems a bed liner and topper should have preserved it better. Maybe it was driven or towed on salted roads.

Cruise control is an aftermarket accessory. I'd be interested to see how it was installed, both in the cab and under the hood. I had cruise control, but it eventually caused my throttle cable to break.

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:19 pm

Nice score! Welcome to the site!

cbenware

Postby cbenware » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:30 pm

Here are some pics of my truck. It just got a new bed, fender, tailgate, steering gear, 2" lift shackles from Independent4x and tires.
Attachments
1983_isuzu_pup_4x4_diesel_4_speed_short_bed-5.jpg
1983_isuzu_pup_4x4_diesel_4_speed_short_bed-4.jpg
1983_isuzu_pup_4x4_diesel_4_speed_short_bed-3.jpg
1983_isuzu_pup_4x4_diesel_4_speed_short_bed-2.jpg
1983_isuzu_pup_4x4_diesel_4_speed_short_bed-1.jpg

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:44 pm

Nice

cbenware

Postby cbenware » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 pm

puttputtinpup wrote:Nice

Thank you! Working on another round of maintenance including timing belt, hoses, AC delete and general clean-up. Also need to do CV boots and horn repair. I am kind of liking the mismatched panel look for now so not planning any paint in the immediate future.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:11 pm

cbenware wrote:
puttputtinpup wrote:Nice

Thank you! Working on another round of maintenance including timing belt, hoses, AC delete and general clean-up. Also need to do CV boots and horn repair. I am kind of liking the mismatched panel look for now so not planning any paint in the immediate future.

Did you read about the horn fix using the spent .22 shell? I think it was Jerry Lemond that told us about that fix quite a few years ago. If you hadn't heard or read about it, I can point you in the right direction

cbenware

Postby cbenware » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:34 pm

puttputtinpup wrote:Did you read about the horn fix using the spent .22 shell? I think it was Jerry Lemond that told us about that fix quite a few years ago. If you hadn't heard or read about it, I can point you in the right direction

Yes! I stumbled across that tutorial and have secured my spent .22 casing to complete the repair. I'm hoping to knock this next round of maintenance out by the end of the weekend.