This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
rat76
Isuzu vehicle(s): '87 P'up 2.3 L, auto, Webber carb, Trooper rear axle, ex class C motorhome

Postby rat76 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:52 am

My name is Jim. I have an '87 half ton long bed P'up with the 2.3L gas engine with auto trans. Her name is Smokie.

She started out as a Class C Motor Home. Some "hammer monkey" in Kansas decided to go into the motor home business & built a camper onto this poor little thing. They put helper springs, air bags, air shocks (tied together) & a 12 inch lift in the rear shackles. The only drill they had was apparently a 3/8 bit. The rest of the holes were done with a cutting torch. There was a hole in the back of the cab for a pass thru which was cut with a grinder.

The box was 7 foot wide, 2 foot past the rear of the frame, hung 4 foot over the cab & a ceiling height of 7 foot. The interior of the camper & all the appliances looked new. The rear of the camper was rotting out & the floor wasn't much better.

When I test drove her she heeled about 10 - 15 degrees going around a corner at low speed. However, due to this she only had 30,000 miles on her & the cab had had it's own carport. The cab interior is like new.

The last owner had used it for a "smoking lounge" for 3 years hence the name. The nicotine residue on the cabinetry was so bad my skin would burn where I touched it. I salvaged everything of value & hauled the rest to the dump.

Mechanically the only thing wrong was the carb was a mess & it was the second one she'd had. The original carb was in one of the cabinets. A Redline Weber took care of that quite nicely. The rear end was a real mess tho. The extreme driveshaft angle & over load had taken it's toll on the driveline. I had to replace all the u-joints except the front one & the rubber boot on the carrier bearing.

The rear axle was not in good shape. Rear end had been opened up at least once & the wheel bearings has also been replaced, maybe more than once. The springs were also in bad shape. I replaced the entire assembly with a rear end & springs from a '90 Trooper. Four wheel disc brakes are NICE! I alsokept the airbags but ditched the air shocks.

I've closed off the back of the cab & am in the process of mounting a flat bed.
Attachments
DSCF2222.JPG
DSCF2238.JPG
DSCF2114.JPG
DSCF2102.JPG

rat76
Isuzu vehicle(s): '87 P'up 2.3 L, auto, Webber carb, Trooper rear axle, ex class C motorhome

Re: New Member

Postby rat76 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:04 pm

More pics
Attachments
DSCF2847.JPG
DSCF2846.JPG
DSCF2845.JPG

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Just when I thought I'd heard everything. ;)

Welcome to the site.

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:34 pm

welcome to the site! I wonder what dually rear end they used. Toyota?

rat76

Postby rat76 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Nope, Isuzu rear. One of the reasons I bought the truck. That, the mileage & the $2500 price tag. :lol:

I found out somewhere that JC Whitney sold the wheels back in the '80s. It's a 6 lug wheel with an adapter piece welded to it & a custom 5 lug outer. Cutest set of 14 inch duals you ever did see. :wink:
Attachments
DSCF2248.JPG
DSCF2247.JPG
DSCF2223.JPG

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Thats some twisted ingenuity!

Return to “My P'up! (Introduce yourself here)”