Dimming Lights (Clutch Engage)

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
Kackman17
Isuzu vehicle(s): 92 Isuzu Pickup 2.3L, MT, Single cab

Dimming Lights (Clutch Engage)

Postby Kackman17 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:06 pm

Hey guys! Ok so my SuziQ is finally up and running now but one small issue I’m finding is when I engage the clutch all of my lights are dimming. Have checked all of the grounds and even added a couple more but still doing it. Anyone else have this issue or a fix for this issue? Clutch is just cable of course no hydraulics to it and no electrical other than clutch switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
“If you gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough”

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Dimming Lights (Clutch Engage)

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Please clarify, because I have a hunch you didn’t mean what you said. When you “engage the clutch”, you’re releasing the pedal. When you press the pedal fully, you’re disengaging the clutch”. So, which is it?

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Does it do it with transmission in neutral, or only when in gear taking off?

1st thing I'd look at is the alternator belt adjustment. RPM dropping and belt slipping?

Try this: when idling, turn on blower for heater. See if air blows out. If so, leave blower on then recreate scenario when lights go dim. See if blower turns off.

If so, may be weak alternator or charge relay or loose belt.

I did have one pup once that would blow a fuse when I pushed in the clutch pedal. Harness was rubbing on clutch pedal mechanism under dash. Doubt that's your issue though

Kackman17

Postby Kackman17 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Anytime you push clutch pedal in, the dash lights, dome light, head lights, tail lights, and even wiper all turn off. Brake light and check engine on dash go out as well. Belt tension is tight. I will check the other things you said and get back to you. Thanks for the input.

Kackman17

Postby Kackman17 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Ok alternator is charging good. And even radio is shutting off.

Kackman17

Postby Kackman17 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Sorry Jack, just seen your message. So yes when you press in the clutch everything goes out.
Could anyone get me a picture of where the coolant temp sensor wiring connects to from the main harness. Someone has cut it and put a new connector & pigtail on it and I’m having a hard time figuring out where they go.

Kackman17

Postby Kackman17 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 pm

We are going to do the “big 3” tomorrow and see if that helps any. We are going to do 3 grounds with 0 gauge like we do for our car stereos and try that as well.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Ok...dimming and completely going out are a bit different. I spent around where anything clutch related moved like near a harness. Move by hand any wiring near the clutch mechanisms and see if you can make it happen. I'd start under the dash near the pedals.

Kackman17

Postby Kackman17 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Sorry I’m not answering clearly on yalls questions. Feel like a dummy here. This is my first time doing an engine crank & bearings and getting deep into these sort of things. My husband is a mechanic has been for many years and it even has him stumped. We have looked under the dash, around the clutch pedal in the engine bay top sides and bottom and find nothing to give us any reason for these things happening. The inside lights just dim but when I have the headlights on they actually turn off and so does the wipers. Like when you push in the clutch it is pulling a MAJOR power surge somewhere. Not really sure how else to explain it. Again sorry if I’m not making sense, because the issues aren’t making sense either. Just trying to get some other opinions/suggestions of things I may look for.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Please excuse the repeated questions, but it's just hard to make sense of this. So it's actually when you disengage the clutch. If it happened when engaging the clutch, I was thinking of the ensuing RPM drop. But since it's when you disengage, the RPM should not drop.

That leads me to think you may have a wire somewhere that's grounding out when you press the clutch pedal. It would be physically contacting a moving mechanical part, and its insulation worn through. Since you haven't mentioned sparks or burning smell, I'm inclined to think it's in the engine bay rather than in the cab. I'd look to see if your clutch cable and alternator wiring might have come together somewhere. All this is pure speculation, though.

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:10 pm

I know the pups have firewall cracking issues. Since you have a 2.3, your clutch cable goes thru the firewall also. Flexing a bit may be causing a bad ground?
Where is the fuse block? Anywhere near the clutch?
Rule out grounds. Take jumper cables. Clamp one end on the neg post. Be sure you touch the post itself not just the clamp. Hook other end to like a good ground on the body. See if it does the dimming when you push pedal in. Then try same thing leaving clamp on battery and other end on the engine block. Basically bypassing the existing ground straps.

Kackman17

Postby Kackman17 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Ok!!! Got it fixed with the 2 new 0gauge grounds!! One from frame to battery and one from alternator bracket to battery!! WOOOOHOOOO!! She’s ready to go!! Thanks so much for everyone’s input!!

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Awesome!