Brake light issues

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
Da_Vinci_B
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 Isuzu V6 4X4 Truck

Brake light issues

Postby Da_Vinci_B » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:32 pm

I just recently replaced the tail lights on my 91 4x4 with a brand new set I got offline and everything works fine except when I push on the brakes the reverse lights come on instead of the brakes?! Parking lights work fine, reverse lights work fine, turn signals...etc. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Is there a wire I could switch or splice in? Any help would be great, thanks !!
Attachments
IMG_0742.JPG
IMG_0741.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG

sanramonrover
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1991 KB (AKA TFS) 4X4 with 4JB1 Diesel

Re: Brake light issues

Postby sanramonrover » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm

I too have a '91 model KB 4X4, made in Japan. I replaced the tail lights with replacements from a wrecking yard, from a North American truck, a few years ago. I discovered that the wiring to the plugs, like shown in your photos, are not the same. On yours, probably the brake light wire goes to the reverse light bulb!

You can work the contacts out of the plugs or sockets and swap them to the correct position. Or you can cut and splice the wires. (IMO, not the best solution.
1991 KB 4X4
1988 VW Westfalia
1975 Triumph Spitfire

Da_Vinci_B

Postby Da_Vinci_B » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Yeah the more I was looking at it, that's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the info though !!

Da_Vinci_B

Postby Da_Vinci_B » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:25 pm

Well I swapped around all the wires on the new tail light end and still no change. I believe it might have something to do with them all being grounded at the same time, so bottom two lights almost work as one ?
Attachments
IMG_0746.JPG

Darby

Postby Darby » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:19 am

Ground is ground. it doesn't matter where you ground something, if it's a good ground it all winds up at the negative battery post. Now a bad ground can cause what you have.
Can you trace the wires from the old taillights To see if they are the same?
Another thought. Could it have been doing this with the old lights and you never noticed it, possibly because of a miswired trailer connection?
Original owner of a 1993 Isuzu pick up, 2.3 engine, 5 speed with power steering and air conditioning. All original except the radio (still have factory radio).
It's cheaper to fix what you have than to buy someone else's problems.

Da_Vinci_B

Postby Da_Vinci_B » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 pm

No, it worked fine before I swapped them out. It could be a ground issue. I'm gonna check on it tomorrow after work. Thanks for the help !