Battery Drain

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
Pupfocused

Battery Drain

Postby Pupfocused » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:51 am

I have a nice gas 86 spacecab that something is draining the battery when it is sitting. I have been unable to find the problem. Any ideas.
If I ever find the time I will put a diesel in it.
Thanks
Jim
1981 diesel pup(gone)
1985 4x4 diesel pup
1986 diesel trooper

gb89amigo

Re: Battery Drain

Postby gb89amigo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:14 pm

Jim,

Get ahold of a volt-ohm meter and switch it to the ampere(s) scale. Start at the 10 Amp range and affix the leads in series between one battery terminal and its usual battery cable. If after connection established, no reading switch to next lower scale, looking for a stylus deflection or reading on the meter. The object is to find from which leg off the fuse block there is a current drain. After initial connection, start removing one fuse at a time. When meter reading shows current flow has stopped after a fuse removal, you have found the leg where the drain exists. Now you only have to check that wire along its length for a possible short due to a rub-through or other abrasion, to the chassis or drive train.

Another possibility is from a clock that may be drawing current all the time, a mal-adjusted door switch, alarm system not turned off, even worn trailer light wiring. Pulling fuses one-at-a-time will direct you to which leg to check!

If further questions or I was not clear, please feel free to ask!

Cheers,

GB
'89 Amigo XS 2.6L 5spd 2WD HC6

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:13 pm

To narrow it down, you could pull each fuse one at a time. When reinstalled them, barely touch the prongs back into the slot and watch for the tiniest spark.

Also be sure the top surface of the battery is clean. Rumor has it that crud and dirt on top can conduct electricity from one post to another.

But the most sure way to tell (if you have one) is using an ammeter on the positive cable, then pull a fuse at a time to see when amp draw falls to zero. Then focus on that circuit
Currently P'up-less, but keeping my eyes open for a good deal
Click this link for misc. diesel technical bulletins & other info

gb89amigo

Postby gb89amigo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:58 am

puttputtinpup wrote:To narrow it down, you could pull each fuse one at a time. When reinstalled them, barely touch the prongs back into the slot and watch for the tiniest spark.

Also be sure the top surface of the battery is clean. Rumor has it that crud and dirt on top can conduct electricity from one post to another.

But the most sure way to tell (if you have one) is using an ammeter on the positive cable, then pull a fuse at a time to see when amp draw falls to zero. Then focus on that circuit
'89 Amigo XS 2.6L 5spd 2WD HC6

Darby

Postby Darby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:56 am

I assume you've already checked the obvious. A light staying on. Brake lights, glove box light, under hood light, etc.
Original owner of a 1993 Isuzu pick up, 2.3 engine, 5 speed with power steering and air conditioning. All original except the radio (still have factory radio).
It's cheaper to fix what you have than to buy someone else's problems.

Return to “Electrical Troubleshooting, Maintenance, and Upgrades”