meter to rpm

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
marv87

meter to rpm

Postby marv87 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:14 pm

hello friends I have a doubt would like to comment. I would like to install a rpm meter isuzu pup year 87 my Isuzu pup year 81 and has no doubt rpm marker is where you connected the meter rpm the new board

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: meter to rpm

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:58 pm

I can't understand your question, but I will try to guess what you are asking.

I think you want to install an RPM meter (a tachometer) from an '87 P'up into your '81 P'up. So I have some questions.
1. Is that what you are asking?
2. Is your 1981 Pup a diesel, and which engine?
3. Is the tachometer from a diesel?

On a diesel, you will need a tachometer sender. If your pump has one, the connection is on the side of the pump. I have never seen a 1981 P'up with a tachometer, but if it has an EGR system, that uses the same sender.

Jack

marv87

Postby marv87 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:18 am

if I want
everything you've asked is correct
The tachometer is a pup diesel 87
my pup is 81 C223 diesel engine and has no tachometer
how and where I can connect
The tachometer is a pup diesel

marv87

Postby marv87 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:25 am

Thanks for understand
the problem is I can not speak English and used a translator

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:33 am

The sender for the tachometer operates from the injector pump. The sender is screwed into the injector pump. Your 1981 engine probably does not have the sending unit installed into the injector pump. If you can find a junk Isuzu diesel Chevette, those have a 1.8 diesel engine and it uses the same design injector pump and usually have the sensor installed in the injector pump.
Pump with Cold Start Device (CSD).jpg
Pump with Cold Start Device (CSD).jpg (149.34 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
This picture will help you know what to look for. If you find a junk 1.8 diesel with the sensor, also get the complete wiring harness that connects the tachometer in the instrument cluster to the sensor on the pump.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:55 am

I don't actually know what Isuzu diesel vehicles you have available in El Savador that have the sensor for the tachometer. Look for 1.8 diesels, 2.2 C223 with a turbo, etc

marv87

Postby marv87 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:41 am

thanks for your answer very friendly
I will look for the sensor you mention in any workshop used parts.
how wilderness is that it can be connected to an output of altenador?

sanramonrover
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1991 KB (AKA TFS) 4X4 with 4JB1 Diesel

Postby sanramonrover » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:05 am

Hi Marv, from Costa Rica (español abajo)
My 1991 pickup originally had a gas engine and no tachometer. The previous owner put a 4JB1 diesel in it.

So I got a tachometer from a Rodeo - all the plugs and wires are the same for 1991 pickups - do not know about 1981. I got an ABS sensor from a car and mounted it near the front pulley of the motor. Welded 2 small tabs to the front pulley to pass close by the ABS sensor. Wired 12V through the ABS sensor to the tachometer, and not it works perfectly.

Hola Marv,
El 1991 pickup que tengo originalmente tuvo motor gasolina, y no tachometro, pero el ex-dueño lo cambio por diesel 4JB1. Entonces pusé un tachometro de un Rodeo - todo los cables e enchufes fueren la misma - per no se sobre los de 1981. Encontré un sensor para frenos ABS de un caro (japones) y lo pusé muy cerca del polea del motor, adelante. Tambien soldado 2 dedos de hiero al polea para que ellos pasan muy cerca al sensor ABS. Y pusé 12V a un alambre del ABS, el otro alambre hasta el tachometer. Por supuesto el tachometro tenia otro alambre hasta tierra del sistema electrica.

Se serve perfectamente.
(español no es mi lengua primera!)
1991 KB 4X4
1988 VW Westfalia
1975 Triumph Spitfire

Isuzu Faster
Isuzu vehicle(s): '86 1.9L G200Z 4-Spd. 2WD

Postby Isuzu Faster » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Marv, sanramonrover tiene razon. Primero, es necesario chequear si tiene el sensor del tachometro al lado de la bomba inyectora - este sensor envia la señal de la bomba al tachometro con un conectador (como ilustrado en el foto de puttputtinpup). En el caso que no tiene este sensor (es comun que los modelos '81 no lo tiene), es necesario agarrarlo y los cables del arnés de otro Isuzu también para fabricar el conexión.
~ Cheers, Steve.

1986 Isuzu P'up (Faster 2WD), 1.9L G200Z Gasoline, 4-spd, Beige Amino-Alkyd Enamel.

Image Image

marv87

Postby marv87 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:15 pm

thank you all for your time

pump really does not have the installed sensor if you can adapt but how complicated is to get

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:43 am

I speak Portuguese, but I don't think it would do me/us much good here. I recall seeing this post about a member who used a Briggs & Stratton engine ignition coil setup on his engine to operate his tach. Take a look and see if you might be able to make this work on your engine. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19758&p=127823&hilit=briggs#p127823

pass12me
Isuzu vehicle(s): Engine for S10 4FB1 out of 1982 Chevy Chevette

Postby pass12me » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:35 am

My 1982 Chvette pump doesn't look anything like that .
I'm just going to run my tach drive off the end of the crankshaft using a mix of Chrysler and GM HEI parts .
Paul

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:29 am

I pulled injector pumps off 1.8 diesels from Chevette and I-Mark and owned an I-Mark. They all looked like the C223 inj pump and all had the tachometer sensor.

SHAKINON
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1981 pup diesel DLX

Postby SHAKINON » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:23 pm

marv87 wrote:hello friends I have a doubt would like to comment. I would like to install a rpm meter isuzu pup year 87 my Isuzu pup year 81 and has no doubt rpm marker is where you connected the meter rpm the new board

Here is what i did with mine: i wanted or installed a remote engine starter because welp it's nice to have the truck or at least the engine warmed up before you go to work in the morning... a tach is NOT required if your car is automatic but with a manual transmission it's mandatory!
SO since there was no tach signal in this thing... i did what i did in my old diesel JETTA and i will post a few pics.
also i am not associated with the ebay sellers from china and not trying to sell you or advertise for them but this is the setup i have in my pup and my jetta and they work great and give you a tach signal for your remote starter and also a digital display for around $15 or so shipped (to the US)
-i bought a "Digital LED Tachometer RPM Speed Meter+Hall Proximity Switch Sensor NPN" from ebay it comes with a sensor,magnet and display.
-next i JB WELDED the magnet to the crankshaft pulley(see pics) i'm aslo not trying to sell JB WELD. and i used the normal JB weld in the truck and the JB quick in my jetta and the jetta has been holing up or working fine for a few years. i assume the same for the truck but make sure you CLEAN the spot where the magnet is going very well and WAIT at least 10 hours to start the truck again.
-next step is to make a metal bracket or any other strong stiff material to hold the sender or sensor (i used an L bracket from home depot and just opened the holes bigger to fit the bolt on the water pump housing.
then all you have to do is wire your ground,ignition source and display!
Attachments
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG

Return to “Electrical Troubleshooting, Maintenance, and Upgrades”