IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:37 pm 

I have an intermittent problem, when I turn on the blower fan in the dash, it doesn't come on instead the battery, brake and fuel light come on. Nothing has be hacked into on the harness so I'm not too sure where to even begin? Anyone had or heard of this happening?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:35 pm 

Sounds like alternator is going away.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 pm 

Or a bad charge relay. This relay senses the alternator charging and wont "turn on" power to the fan blower until the alt is charging. Sometime the relay doesnt connect properly, or 1st of all, the brushes in the alternator are a common cause of not charging. I'm on my cell phone, so I can't really send u a link to the HOW TO on brushes replacemnt. Look it up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 pm 

you may have to replace the charge relay. Prob $20. Also, GET the alternator and battery checked. If the alternator is starting to get wonky the charge relay will shut down accessories (and cause other issues) to preserve battery life. But first ensure charge relay is good (I had one fail and it created the symptoms on my 90 Spacer you describe). If that is good, then alternator and battery check is in order.

quote="sneakPUP"]I have an intermittent problem, when I turn on the blower fan in the dash, it doesn't come on instead the battery, brake and fuel light come on. Nothing has be hacked into on the harness so I'm not too sure where to even begin? Anyone had or heard of this happening?[/quote]

1990 LS SpaceCab 4x4 2.6L (Manufactured in Japan, September 1989)
206,000 miles. Owned since 15 miles. Paid $15K, Oct 1989.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:34 am 

i thought maybe a bad blower motor, where is the charge relay located? iv been concerned about the alternator for a while i really think im pulling out more than im putting in, that on top of a 20 year old alternator could be the issue. i unplugged the blower motor on the chance there was an open short somewhere.
Iv heard of people having alts built to run like 110 amps is that to much for factory wires?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:48 pm 

I'm sorry. I should have, but didn't notice you have a 90 gasser. I'm not sure exactly where the charge relay is on that truck. If you'd like to try a used relay from a junk vehicle, here is a list of ones that use the same relay. Also, the brushes replacement HOW TO is for the diesel alternator. Guess I'm showin' my age :oops:
Quote:
Rock Auto's site lists these other vehicles that have the RY55 charge relay. Suggestion: Go to Pull A Part and snatch up a few of these off any of these vehicles.
ACURA SLX (1996 - 1999)
CHEVROLET SPECTRUM (1985 - 1988)
GEO SPECTRUM 1989
ISUZU AMIGO (1989 - 1994)
ISUZU I-MARK (1981 - 1989)
ISUZU IMPULSE (1983 - 1992)
ISUZU PICKUP (1981 - 1995)
ISUZU RODEO (1991 - 1995)
ISUZU STYLUS (1991 - 1993)
ISUZU TROOPER (1984 - 2002)
NISSAN 200SX (1981 - 1983)
NISSAN 280ZX (1980 - 1983)
NISSAN MAXIMA (1982 - 1988)
NISSAN PULSAR 1983
NISSAN PULSAR NX (1983 - 1986)
NISSAN STANZA (1984 - 1986)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:01 pm 

haha no problem!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:21 pm 

Charge relay is under the hood in the fuse/relay box. Probably designated FR5.

1990 LS SpaceCab 4x4 2.6L (Manufactured in Japan, September 1989)
206,000 miles. Owned since 15 miles. Paid $15K, Oct 1989.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:08 pm 

ill replace the Charge relay, and have my alt checked. iv been concerned im pulling more than i can put back with that alt, it might be time to have a higher amp alternator out in

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:50 pm 

No, right now applying my brakes initially caused the instrument cluster to light up... I thought...That's strange. A few days later, applying the brakes causes my headlights to light up.
The headlights now illuminate at the "parking lights" intermediate setting. I will try to run this down maybe later this week

Eddie

91 and 94 Isuzu 2.3 p/u;
'87 1.9L LS Pup;
A few Nissan SD22 diesel engine parts,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:02 pm 

advanced auto and oriellys both don't have a replacement charge relay, I switched he'd a few around in hopes to see a change. no change, I had my alternator checked and it passed 3 times. the problem changed not to long after the original post, the 3 lights would come on after restarting the truck after it ran, I could get them to go off if I shifted passed 3000 rpms, but now the lights won't even go off any more. any ideas? where can I find replacement charge relays?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:32 am 

Take that list above and go to a junk yard. Hunt down a couple of those vehicles, and snatch one or two relays.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:19 pm 

http://dfunkramblings.blogspot.com/2010 ... 1240107074 the relay is good, I changed a few around and put the original relay in the headlamp slot and the headlights turned on no problem.
I was directed to the above link and it's definitely the same problem im having. anyone ever heard of these alternators not sending the correct "I'm charging" signal? and how to fix it without wrestling a shop to exchanged there units with me until I get a good one? oriellys sells a new voltage regulator but it's literally the same price as the alternator itself. and it's non refundable. think it's worth a shot replacing the regulator on the 120amp I just replaced the old alt with?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:28 pm 

I just went through all of this today on a 1991 pup with 2.3 liter. All dash lights were on and after testing the generator circuit I determined the generator wasn't charging. Went to local O'Reilly part store and bought a new generator. Installed it on truck & same thing all dash lights didn't go out. Took it back and had O'Reilly bench test the generator. Guess what it passed with flying colors. I got my money back and then installed a good used generator from another pup. All the lights went out on dash, blower motor worked again and so did the A/C. Just because they say it is rebuilt doesn't mean it was done correctly!!! So now to find a replacement that will work, wonder how many I will go through??? :roll:
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:10 pm 

how frustrating. oriellys sells a new voltage regulator but it's the same price as a "new" alternator. I dunno if it'll fix it.