Wiper intermittent switch? (Anybody)

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
puttputtinpup

Re: Wiper intermittent switch? (Anybody)

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:49 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
puttputtinpup wrote:Fyi, those switches will plug into a 81-83 also, but those years aren't wired the same as like an 86-87 and won't work. I'm guessing they'll plug&play on +84 trucks

Andy, mine is an '83. It came with intermittent wipers.

Jack

I've never own an 83, so not sure how it's wired. Does your cig lighter work with the key off, or does the key have to be on? Do you have a steering wheel lock also?

pitch4pd
Isuzu vehicle(s): LUV

Postby pitch4pd » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:02 am

Just did this on my 81 luv. No steering lock and cig lighter always on.

New switch had 3 extra wires, 1 blue, and 2 brown. I have no clue what the brown are for but my wiring diagram showed blue as being switched power and needed for the wipers. I jumped blue to green on the new switch side. Green is always on power. I have intermittent wipers now but I also get a free cycle every time I turn the key on and start.... basically to do this right you need to run a blue white stripe wire which is only hot when the engine is running (heater relay 2LW). I might do this someday or just enjoy the free startup wipes.

I did a current leakage check on the battery with key off and only got .04-.05 amp so I am pretty sure the circuit isn't pulling anything with key off.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:33 am

pitch4pd wrote:I might do this someday or just enjoy the free startup wipes.

I'd get it fixed pretty soon. You may get a "free wipe" as you put it, but if your wipers are frozen to the windshield and you turn on the key, it's gonna ruin the wipers, linkage, or the wiper motor. Until then, remember to thaw the wipers and free them from the glass B4 turning on the key.

pitch4pd
Isuzu vehicle(s): LUV

Postby pitch4pd » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Thank's for the reminder. Interestingly enough I just replaced the wiper linkage in the summer. I don't think i want to buy that part so soon. Will put it on the long weekend to do list.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:53 am

I ordered a $17 board mounted unit from Amazon. It's still on it's way from China. I am hoping to mount it in the knockout panel to the right of the wheel next to the dash light dimmer knob. I figure I can wire it to the "mist" button wires. I'll report on success or failure when I get it installed. Also want to try one of the retrofit power window kits, anybody out there installed one? I want it mainly on the passenger side. In NJ, we can't pump our own gas and the fuel cap is on that side and that's the window the pump jockey stands at waiting for me to reach ALL the way over to roll down the window. Yes, I want to live like a 1%er and just push a button.
1989, 2.3L, 5 speed pickup, original owner

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:17 pm

fasteddie wrote:I ordered a $17 board mounted unit from Amazon. It's still on it's way from China. I am hoping to mount it in the knockout panel to the right of the wheel next to the dash light dimmer knob. I figure I can wire it to the "mist" button wires. I'll report on success or failure when I get it installed.
I just took the time to scan this entire topic. It began as a question about intermittent wipers for the Pickup--specifically a '95, but should be the same for '88-'95. It morphed and got onto the same question, but for P'ups ('81-'87). This is a subject where the answers are completely different, depending on whether the question is about the Pickup vs the P'up.

Now we're back to the Pickup. I've since bought and sold a 1st gen Amigo, and now I know a little about the intermittent wipers for it and the Pickup (they're identical). To get intermittent wipers using factory components, you need the switch cluster and the relay. On this truck (unlike the P'up), the wiper switches are not on the turn signal stalk. They're in cluster in the dash (right side of the panel, if I recall correctly). The non-intermittent switch is momentary, and I think it is labeled "MIST". The intermittent switch toggles on/off, and I think it is labeled "INT". It's not a hard swap. The parts could come from a Pickup or a 1st gen Amigo or Rodeo.

The factory intermittent feature has a preset interval. Your aftermarket add-on probably allows you to adjust the interval.

Jack

sanramonrover
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1991 KB (AKA TFS) 4X4 with 4JB1 Diesel

Postby sanramonrover » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:47 pm

I also did the "kit" version of an intermittent wiper control. I found that the original wiper controls came in two versions - one has a MIST button and the other has INT button and it seems they do different things. I couldn't figure out how to use either with an intermittent relay from a wrecking yard Isuzu - possibly because this truck is in the Central American market and not quite like the NA version.

So after test splicing into every wire on the wiper switch plug, I finally found this combination. None of the wires were cut - just spiced to join into the timer PCB. A small variable resistor knob was mounted in that mounting spot near the steering wheel. Works OK.
IsuzuIntWiperWire.png
IsuzuIntWiperWire.png (18.37 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

Hope it helps.
1991 KB 4X4
1988 VW Westfalia
1975 Triumph Spitfire

Return to “Electrical Troubleshooting, Maintenance, and Upgrades”