Alternator wiring woes, help!

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
DoodooIsuzu

Re: Alternator wiring woes, help!

Postby DoodooIsuzu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Which unit?
92 pickup with a KA24DE! Lowest static truck in town. Rodeo goodies all over.

margaret fishman

Postby margaret fishman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 pm

DoodooIsuzu wrote:Which unit?

HI :) THE OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT'S WIRE IS BLUE ,CHANGEING TO YEL/BLUE . THE COOLANT TEMPERTURE GAUGE SENDER'S WIRE COMING OUT IS YEL/BLACK CHANGES TO YEL IN A (2.3L AND RED/BLK2.6L) ALSO THE FUSE FOR BOTH IS#7 .HOPE THAT ANSWERED UR QUESTIONS :D MARGARET
JOHN 3: 16'88 5-SPD P'UP2.3 '2000 DODGE DAUL ,95 CHEVY V6 5SP[81 DIESEL 5 SP FLAT BED ,92 NISSAN 4X4 5SP ,96 S-10 PK I'VE REACHED THAT AGE WHERE MY BRAIN W/FROM 'I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T SAY THAT ' to OH WHAT THE HECK LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS

DoodooIsuzu

Postby DoodooIsuzu » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks so much!
92 pickup with a KA24DE! Lowest static truck in town. Rodeo goodies all over.

margaret fishman

Postby margaret fishman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:33 am

NO PROBLEM GLAD I COULD HELP :D MARGARET
JOHN 3: 16'88 5-SPD P'UP2.3 '2000 DODGE DAUL ,95 CHEVY V6 5SP[81 DIESEL 5 SP FLAT BED ,92 NISSAN 4X4 5SP ,96 S-10 PK I'VE REACHED THAT AGE WHERE MY BRAIN W/FROM 'I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T SAY THAT ' to OH WHAT THE HECK LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS

mja
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1992 Isuzu pickup, 2.3L, 5 speed

Postby mja » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:56 am

Does someone have the information to answer the question in the first post of this thread?

I'm trying to find out where the 3 wires go to on the back of the stock Isuzu alternator.

Wired up a new 220 amp 1-wire alternator and my dashboard battery light is on.

mja
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1992 Isuzu pickup, 2.3L, 5 speed

Postby mja » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Fixed my issue. Turns out the stock voltage regulator on the stock alternator opens/shuts a circuit which controls the heater blower motor & charge relays. If the regulator is sensing high/low alternator voltage, it will shut off the charge and blower relays, simultaneously illuminating the dash lights.

The fix for this was really simple, and allowed me to run a Powerbastards fitzall 220 amp alternator. This alternator is a direct fit out of the box, no modification - stock bolts, bracket, and belt work just fine. It pulls a little bit more power than stock at idle, but it's really not noticeable, good idle quality.

After some testing, I found 2 of the 3 female prongs on the stock alternator connector are on a switched ign 12V source. When the circuit is closed by applying a jump from the thickest 12V ign-on wire to the dead hot wire (no 12V ign-on), this mimics the 'normal mode' of the stock voltage regulator. The stock relays switch on, dash lights turn off, and blower motor and everything work just fine. If the 3rd prong (smaller 12v ign on wire) is jumped along with these, the truck doesn't shut off when ignition is turned off, that's bad. Play around with those connector wires, ya'll will figure it out.
The two terminals that need to be jumped are right next to each other, they look like this: _ _

I currently have mine jumped with an electric switch inside the engine compartment, only downside is if I forget to turn off the switch this will drain the battery when the truck is parked. I'll change my manual switch out for an ign-on/off 12V relay so it all works seamlessly without pressing a switch.

The 1-wire Powerbastards alternator is internally and independently regulated based on engine rpm, so no worries about voltage surges. Can install a voltmeter if this is a concern. Tons of headroom for power upgrades.

Cheers,
Mike

Return to “Electrical Troubleshooting, Maintenance, and Upgrades”