Alternator Upgrade

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
BlewChiZ

Alternator Upgrade

Postby BlewChiZ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Anyone have any ideas for an alternator upgrade on a 90 model pickup? According to Oreilly's the biggest alternator is could have is like 60-65 amps. By the time I install an electric cooling fan, upgrade the tunes, and drive down the road at night with the high beams glowing and the a/c on high, sure might be running out of juice. When battery replacement time comes I am gonna put the biggest battery I can fit on the pickup, but would like more charging power. Anyone upgraded to a bigger alternator? What size alternators did the trooper's come with? An alternator of a 4 cyl gas trooper I am sure would bolt up, and the SUV with power accessories might be bigger. Just some head scratching material.

ROb
1990 SWB 2.3 5 speed
Lowrider don't use no gas now

texasISUZU92

Re: Alternator Upgrade

Postby texasISUZU92 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:52 pm

im having similiar problems but from what i can tell the v6 alternator is a 100amp but not sure about mounting and a bigger battery wont do you any good if you use more than the alternator can keep up with you'll kill the battery and burn up the alternator but just find out what your truck will use worse case, and manage around it

BlewChiZ

Postby BlewChiZ » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:12 pm

A bigger battery is really just a bandaid. I had a Chevy Cavalier back in the day, and when the base hit at night, the headlights would dim a little bit, not bad driving, but noticeably at idle. Put a bigger battery in it, and that seemed to help absorb the spikes and drops. I have already noticed this thing barely maintains 13 volts driving at night. And that is with no blower motor running in the cab. It is strained enough with the electric fan that the volt gauge dances with the blinkers.

ROb
1990 SWB 2.3 5 speed

luv909
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1981 LUV diesel sport. 1982 LUV diesel 4X4

Postby luv909 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:34 am

I just replaced the alternator on my 81 luv diesel. I too was looking for a larger output alternator. NAPA has a listing for an internal part ( might have been internal voltage regulator,not sure) for under $20 that is supposed to upgrade the alternator to 100 amp. I did not buy the part as just taking apart the new alternator voids the warranty. Dont know if they make something like this for your truck or not. I was a bit leary of such a low dollar upgrade. Mabey someone else with a bit more knowelage on the subject can enlighten us a bit more.
hope this helps
luv909
1981 Luv diesel Sport 2wd 300+K two tank veggie
1999 F250 V10
1994 Exploder
2009 Ford Flex
1983 Mercedes 300 D 115K two tank veg system (16 gal beer keg for tank in trunk :mrgreen: )
1982 LUV diesel 4X4 veg system in the planning stages

BlewChiZ

Postby BlewChiZ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:18 pm

I think I have the upgrade figured out. Just putting an older GM alternator on it. I removed my smog pump today and had more room to work on it, so I pulled the old alternator. An old style GM alternator fits with the factory brackets on the motor. I don't think the upper mount is in the same position it was originally, but it works. As I put it on at first the fan on the alternator rubbed that upper bracket, but I shaved a small amount of metal off of the bracket and now it clears. I think the bracket will still be strong enough, it is heavier than the original Chevy bracket, even after the shave. I found out the particular unit I put on the truck is not the correct one for this swap, so I have to go dig around my buddy's shop tomorrow and find what I want. I will be sure to post the results if it works. I hope it works, because I am ready to put some bump-bump in the tunes, just need the juice to support it :).

ROb
1990 SWB 2.3 5 speed

octopus

Postby octopus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Rob, when I replaced mine last month, I moved up the mere 10 amps to a 60. But I saw ones of around 90 and 100 being offered for it from parts places. It seems like that would be overkill to me.
Jeff
Original owner, 1990 Isuzu Pickup 2.3 Gas

BlewChiZ

Postby BlewChiZ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:40 pm

RIght now at night, with the headlights going, electric fan on, and blower motor running low, the voltage gauge dances with the blinkers. Add an amp on top of that and you get to the verge of not enough juice. Right now the poor alternator barely makes enough juice to jump start a vehicle. I am just too demanding of my $500 pickup :)

ROb
1990 SWB 2.3 5 speed

BlewChiZ

Postby BlewChiZ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:42 pm

Another reason for this upgrade is that the alternator I am using for it is available just about anywhere for like 45 bucks :)

ROb
1990 SWB 2.3 5 speed

octopus

Postby octopus » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:11 am

I'm going to be able to hear this sound system from over here, aren't I ?!! More power to you- literally!
Original owner, 1990 Isuzu Pickup 2.3 Gas

Finetuned-2

Postby Finetuned-2 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:03 pm

pinging for later reference

pup daddy

Postby pup daddy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:05 am

luv909 wrote: NAPA has a listing for an internal part ( might have been internal voltage regulator,not sure) for under $20 that is supposed to upgrade the alternator to 100 amp.

Do you remember anything about this part? Name, part #? The diesel pups need all the volts they can get, lol.
1985 Pup diesel 4x4 4spd SB (daily truck)
1986 Pup diesel 4x2 turbo LB (Waiting for some love)
1990 chevrolet 454SS pickup
1983 Mercedes 300sd

Sub

Postby Sub » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:13 pm

Mind posting what specific alternator was compatible blewchiz? I am putting an amp and sub in my truck and would like to know what to get because I'm sure my alternator doesn't have much to give. Stock 94 Trans Am alternator is 140 or 130 amps and it doesn't cost too much and has no problem powering the amp, AC, high beams, windows, and my brother's laptop, is that an older style GM like you were talking about?
'92 Pickup 2.3L 172,000 mi

BlewChiZ

Postby BlewChiZ » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Yeah...turns out the alternator I fitted up was a much older Delco that required the external regulator. But one from an 80's Chevy pickup is the same physical dimensions, and has a very easy hookup. I would be interested in the Trans Am alternator though, cuz the older Delco actually didn't charge at much more than the stock Isuzu unit, I think about 70 amps tops. Once I researched and discovered that I put the alternator swap on hold...problem is finding a high amp alternator that uses a VBelt. Saw something on CarDomain where a guy used an alternator out of a particular model Ford Taurus...130 amp unit. Don't remember for sure what year model though. You can buy the older Delco alternators upgraded to put out 100 amps.

ROb
1990 SWB 2.3 5 speed

Youngcummins

Postby Youngcummins » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:42 am

on my s10 2.2 luv diesel conversion we put a alternator off a 93 jimmy on there and got a plug from napa to make it work. the only problem i have is that you have to unplug that plug so it doesnt kill the battery. but other than that it works great. you would need to get a v belt pulley to make it work and possibly make new brakets. i just looked and napa offers a 140 amp model so that should work good
My rig
1996 Ram 2500 Cummins, 414K miles
2000 S10 reg cab long bed with a 81 LUV c223 5 speed, the runt of the fleet, but the most driven.
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5sp, 53mpg!!!

chriscarpenter0

Postby chriscarpenter0 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:21 pm

BlewChiZ wrote:Another reason for this upgrade is that the alternator I am using for it is available just about anywhere for like 45 bucks :)

ROb

But what did you do about the vacum pump?
If there is wheels on it i will drive untill they fall off.....
82 Chevy LUV 5-speed diesel 200,000mi and still going.