82 Chevy luv blinkers and windshield wipers

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
82 luv
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Chevy luv diesel

82 Chevy luv blinkers and windshield wipers

Postby 82 luv » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:45 pm

I’m having an issue with the blinker not blinking and I have already changed the relay and fuses. The issue with the windshield wipers stop working but it sounds like the motor is still working and sounds like maybe it got disconnected from the wipers if that’s possible

puttputtinpup

Re: 82 Chevy luv blinkers and windshield wipers

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:42 am

82 luv wrote:I’m having an issue with the blinker not blinking and I have already changed the relay and fuses. The issue with the windshield wipers stop working but it sounds like the motor is still working and sounds like maybe it got disconnected from the wipers if that’s possible

For your turn signals, try pulling the emergency flashers switch up & down a few times. When you're finished, be sure the switch ia all the way down/in and see if the turn signal blinkers work.

Wipers: there are little round plastic clips that connect the linkages together. If the motor runs but the wiper arms don't move, can you take one wiper arm and move it by hand? The whole cycle?If you are able to then both should move together if disconnected at the motor.
Those clips may still be available from Jerry Lemond. (jlemond@bellsouth.net) I couldn't find a picture online of what they look like, but they're round with bumls that fit into notches in the arms and have a little tab sticking out with a bump on the.emd that snaps into a hole to keep the thing from rotating out of the notches. Those tabs with the bump are bad about breaking off.
To remove them, you have to lift the little tab lkke with a tiny screw driver or pocket knife, then rotate the clip. The tab, if not broken, will likely break when you take it off.
Years ago back in about 1990 I had an 81 pup and was driving in heavy rain when one of my clips broke.
On my 82 with new clils in hand, I took everything thing apart, took the wiper arms out of the cowl, cleaned and lubed the shafts & bushings where the actual wiper arms attached and reassembled. The old grease was so stiff & sticky, it put a strain on my motor and they wiped with difficulty.

Unplug the motor, key off and probably wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery. Remove the wiper motor. There's a chance the linkage arm came off the motor too.
The access for the linkage connection on the driver's side is behind the little metal plate held on by 3-4 screws.
Maybe somebody else came post a picture of the clip and maybe a part #.

82 luv
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Chevy luv diesel

Postby 82 luv » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:03 pm

puttputtinpup wrote:
82 luv wrote:I’m having an issue with the blinker not blinking and I have already changed the relay and fuses. The issue with the windshield wipers stop working but it sounds like the motor is still working and sounds like maybe it got disconnected from the wipers if that’s possible

For your turn signals, try pulling the emergency flashers switch up & down a few times. When you're finished, be sure the switch ia all the way down/in and see if the turn signal blinkers work.

Wipers: there are little round plastic clips that connect the linkages together. If the motor runs but the wiper arms don't move, can you take one wiper arm and move it by hand? The whole cycle?If you are able to then both should move together if disconnected at the motor.
Those clips may still be available from Jerry Lemond. (jlemond@bellsouth.net) I couldn't find a picture online of what they look like, but they're round with bumls that fit into notches in the arms and have a little tab sticking out with a bump on the.emd that snaps into a hole to keep the thing from rotating out of the notches. Those tabs with the bump are bad about breaking off.
To remove them, you have to lift the little tab lkke with a tiny screw driver or pocket knife, then rotate the clip. The tab, if not broken, will likely break when you take it off.
Years ago back in about 1990 I had an 81 pup and was driving in heavy rain when one of my clips broke.
On my 82 with new clils in hand, I took everything thing apart, took the wiper arms out of the cowl, cleaned and lubed the shafts & bushings where the actual wiper arms attached and reassembled. The old grease was so stiff & sticky, it put a strain on my motor and they wiped with difficulty.

Unplug the motor, key off and probably wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery. Remove the wiper motor. There's a chance the linkage arm came off the motor too.
The access for the linkage connection on the driver's side is behind the little metal plate held on by 3-4 screws.
Maybe somebody else came post a picture of the clip and maybe a part #.

So I can’t figure the blinker thing out and it still won’t blink. Is there anything else you can think of that be causing it not to blink?
For the windshield wiper when I move one of them they both move so I emailed the guy you said might have the part I need. So now all I gotta do it s take the motor off and go check it out.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:28 am

Do the turn signals light up (without flashing), or not even that? Same question for the 4-way flashers.

And does your heater fan work?

Jack