Starter motors and solenoids

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
Red Truck

Starter motors and solenoids

Postby Red Truck » Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm

This might belong in the General Tblshtng section, but others can make that decision. My starter motor currently works fine, but in the event that it chooses not to, I've been investigating replacement availabilities. I see that Rock Auto offers a reman starter/solenoid unit, starting at around $80 (with core). They also offer just the solenoid (new) by itself, but charge over double the $$ amount of the complete reman combo units. At this point, I intend to go with the reman option, whenever the time comes.
Is there a good reason for this huge cost difference, other than the individual components costing more than the complete assembly, or am I missing something?
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

puttputtinpup

Re: Starter motors and solenoids

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue May 14, 2019 2:35 pm

Check with jerry lemond. He may have brand new OEM starters. I know you have a gasser, but my diesel starter had +315k miles on it and all I ever did was changed burned solenoid contacts inside.

dorf

Postby dorf » Wed May 15, 2019 6:52 am

And...or.....take to a rebuild shop

They can replace what's necessary and do a bench check...current draw. ...lubricant as necessary ...etc

Just my 2 cents

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 am

dorf wrote:And...or.....take to a rebuild shop

They can replace what's necessary and do a bench check...current draw. ...lubricant as necessary ...etc

Just my 2 cents

Great suggestion

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed May 15, 2019 10:16 am

Yes, if you can find one. We used to have one in town and I used them to rebuild my alternator. But the cheap Chinese imports (not specifically for Isuzu) have made it hard for those shops to stay in business. It's like trying to find a TV repair shop. Nobody repairs TVs now, they're throwaways when they go bad (out of warranty).

Jack

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Thu May 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks to all. There doesn't seem to be a problem with availability (thankfully) for the complete units, and I'm all for repairing my own. But I haven't found a reliable source for the components. I've yet to find replacement starter pinion gears, bearings, bushings, brushes, springs, etc for my particular motor/solenoid, as, say, I have with Victoria British for Lucas equipped Brit-mobiles. I'd like to keep a spare that is on-the-shelf-ready, like other car parts, but I'd lose out on the core charge. Thanks again for the inputs, and I think I'll go with a remanufactured setup, when the time comes for a replacement (and with a dead starter, make a point to park on a hill!!).
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

89rebelpup
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1989 Standard cab swb 2.3l (carb)

Postby 89rebelpup » Thu May 16, 2019 4:25 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote: It's like trying to find a TV repair shop. Nobody repairs TVs now, they're throwaways when they go bad (out of warranty).

Jack

HA!
Or like trying to find A garage or speed shop that will work on a carburetor or carbureted engine!