Hazards failed, subsequent instrament panel failure

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
Newtron

Hazards failed, subsequent instrament panel failure

Postby Newtron » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:31 pm

So I pretty much suck at life, and electricity, so hopefully yall can help. 86 pup. Parked outside the other night at a friends had to leave the truck on the road with the hazards on. Got back into truck, turned hazards off. All of a sudden no blinkers working either. They came up on the instrument cluster solid that night. The next morning turned it on and still no working blinkers or lights turning on in the instrument cluster.

I checked the fuses. The 3rd fuse was blown (which was does do the hazard lights according to a shop manual) but the one labeled turn signals was fine. The blown fuse explained why I had no horn or overhead light in the cab. I replaced it got the horn back and the interior light, but no hazards and still no turn signals. I turned the hazards on and off multiple times and still nothing, but this time the #3 Fuse remained intact.

I fiddled around with the switch on the steering column and figured it could be in there, bad contacts and such. Took it apart, rebuilt and found voltage running thru that switch. I then tried a new flasher unit. I pulled the hazard tab. It clicked once, then stopped, blew fuse #3 again, and then simultaneously blew out all the lights, the tac, the fuel gauge and temp gauge on the instrument panel. I still have headlights, I still have a light that illuminates the instrument panel when the lights are on, I still have radio. Is there a instrument panel fuse or relay somewhere? or do I just have a mega short somewhere?

Where do I go from here. I'm feeling like my 86 pup is trying to mock my inability to understand electricity.
1982 2x4 Diesel Pup Two Tank WVO System
1981 2x4 Diesel Pup DLX Long Bed
1986 4x4 Turbo Diesel Pup Space Cab (roomate moved out with it, but still see it often)

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Re: Hazards failed, subsequent instrament panel failure

Postby Halden » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:18 am

I can draw up a quick diagram for you later today if you'd like. It sounds like you have a short somewhere. On both fuses 4 and 3. Fuse 4 feeds the panel
Halden
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard
At work: 2000 Blue Bird TC2000 w/ 5.9

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Postby Halden » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Don't know if this will help or not, but here is the schematic for the flashers and signals
Attachments
Turn Signal and Flasher.pdf
(104.96 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard
At work: 2000 Blue Bird TC2000 w/ 5.9

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:36 pm

I once had an 85 pup where the harness that came through the firewall and went under the dash had fallen down against the clutch and brake mechanism. The movement of the clutch pedal had worn the insulation off one of the wires causing a dead short. It would blow the main fuse as soon as I pushed the pedal in.

I'd suggest looking under the dash and inspect the harness and everywhere it may be rubbing on something and grounding out. Take the clamshell off the steering column and inspect the multiswitch harness for rubbing on metal parts.

One other thing I'd check on, weird I know, is the bulbs. Bad bulbs or sockets (and light socket ground points) can do weird things.

You changed the turn switch and didn't fix it... actually made it worse, so I'd start looking near there.

Donald NZ
Isuzu vehicle(s): 97 ucs69 4jg2 30-43le

Postby Donald NZ » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 am

When im trying to find tricky 'shorts' I substitute the fuse for a headlight bulb
yup a standard headlight bulb with two wire connected one to either side of fuse , watch out two wire strands dont touch from either side of fuse
this limits the power used to that which the bulb consumes so say around 5 amp

this way I can watch the bulb if its dim the problem is not there and if its bright it is.

so i'd turn the hazards on and watch the bulb, if bright Id disconnect the back half of the truck [ by the drivers kick panel is usually a handy connector ]

I'll keep disconnecting until the bulb goes dim , then I know I'm onto where the fault is.

saves feeding 2o fuses into the suspect fuse holder and destroying your flasher unit.