Rear Speakers

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
sevlor
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1995 Isuzu Pickup Regular Cab

Rear Speakers

Postby sevlor » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:17 am

Has anyone cut a hole and added speakers in the cab corners of a regular cab? It looks like there is enough space for maybe a 4x6 or a 4x10 in line behind the seatbelt.

Paul

Re: Rear Speakers

Postby Paul » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:56 pm

sevlor wrote:Has anyone cut a hole and added speakers in the cab corners of a regular cab? It looks like there is enough space for maybe a 4x6 or a 4x10 in line behind the seatbelt.

Yes, I have done just that. I moved the factory OEM speakers (about 5 inch jobbers) from the kick panels to behind the seat belts. Been a long time, but it appears that I had to cut holes for them. They are located just below the small (too small) hole that is just below the seat belt reel. Then, I bought some better speakers and mounted them in the kick panels using spacers to accommodate the depth.

The result is OK but not hugely improved. Maybe I need some woofers in the back?

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.

sevlor

Postby sevlor » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:52 am

I currently have 6x9s in boxes behind the seats but if I want them to be positioned where they sound good, I have to have the seats moved up, and I'm 6'3" so taking away my leg space sucks. My 95 doesn't have kick panel speakers, it has the 4" speakers in the dash, so I figured I would keep those in place, and add either 4" or 5 1/4" speakers into the cab corner area I described.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Before Insikd ny Pup I'd thought of simply buying and mounting behind the seat a set of those self contained outdoor speakers like some restaurants have on patios, gas staion pump islands, etc. They sound pretty good, not too big, and come with brackets for mounting.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:49 pm

puttputtinpup wrote:Before Insikd ny Pup...

I'm skilled at that language, because I use it so much myself. :lol:

What Andy meant was, "Before I sold my P'up..."

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
puttputtinpup wrote:Before Insikd ny Pup...

I'm skilled at that language, because I use it so much myself. :lol:

What Andy meant was, "Before I sold my P'up..."

Jack
i saw the typos just as I hit the button to post. I said "ah, whatever...these guys are smart enough to figure it out" lol

minidiesel

Postby minidiesel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:20 pm

I did 5" polk separates in kick panels, 1" tweeters cut under a/c vent in dash. Kicker powered 6" tube sub behind passenger bucket seat (kept my leg room ) .
Alpine 400 watt amp, its very loud and very clean.
In regular cab.
1986 Isuzu pup long bed diesel 5 spd 2 wd .
1986 winnbago lesharo Renault turbo diesel.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:23 am

minidiesel wrote:I did 5" polk separates in kick panels, 1" tweeters cut under a/c vent in dash. Kicker powered 6" tube sub behind passenger bucket seat (kept my leg room ) .
Alpine 400 watt amp, its very loud and very clean.
In regular cab.

But I think that awesome paint job made the stereo sound its best!

sevlor

Postby sevlor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:38 am

I ended up buying a set of speakers off local craigslist, set of 4" Alpine Type S, and a set of 5.25" Alpine Type S, both sets are 2-way coaxials. This past weekend I followed through with cutting holes in the B-pillar/Cab corner area about 6" inches above the seatbelt housing. Sounds a lot better than the 6x9 boxes I had behind the seats, and I have all my leg room.