Electrical Problems :/

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
mmdz33
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1990 Isuzu Pickup

Electrical Problems :/

Postby mmdz33 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 pm

was driving down freeway when suddenly radio and all accesories just turned off and turned back on by themself. Shortly after, temp gauge started to show ridiculously fast increase in temp, had to stop 3 times to let it cool down in about a 1/4 mile. so i get somewhere safe and take out the thermostat thinkin maybe it locked up, hop back in and same issue. i got towed home and replaced water pump, hop back in and no problem at first but on second drive the issue comes back. so i get out and cooling system seems to be working fine, but now radio n lights flicker on n off while driving. when i press brake or put it in gear the lights get really dim n the radio will just shut off, plus although the temp gauge reads super high, the radiator cap is cool enough to touch n open with no steam coming out :/ checked fuses, in dash fuse box was a little loose, but tightened it up and still same issue. took it to oreilys and clerk said alternator, battery and starter were showing up as all good. only thing i can think of is voltage regulator but my pops says its built into regulator, idk wat to do at this point, any suggestions?!

puttputtinpup

Re: Electrical Problems :/

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:15 am

Moving this to electrical section
Currently P'up-less, but keeping my eyes open for a good deal
Click this link for misc. diesel technical bulletins & other info

Quahlity
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1992 Isuzu pickup 2.3 carb

Postby Quahlity » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Hmmm, I saw a weird problem similar to this once, where when the owner put the transfer case (2-4 wheel drive) into neutral the engine would die. Turned out to be a bad ground from the engine to the frame. I doubt it's that simple, so If I think of anything else will post it.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:30 am

Is there anything you did to the truck just prior to this problem emerging? Like installing a radio, or adding lights? Etc? I'm thinking a bad ground problem somewhere.
Currently P'up-less, but keeping my eyes open for a good deal
Click this link for misc. diesel technical bulletins & other info

Return to “Electrical Troubleshooting, Maintenance, and Upgrades”