Parts Needed to turbo charge a non turbo 2.2L

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
Jackson_Farms

Parts Needed to turbo charge a non turbo 2.2L

Postby Jackson_Farms » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:36 pm

I have an 82 Chevy LUV with a non turbo 2.2L in it i would like to know what all i need to put a turbo on it were to get parts and what can and cant work I know people are pulling parts from refer units and such and putting them on 2.2L engines but i dont know what parts and what model engines are in the refer trailers
Jackson Farms
01 Cummins 3500
82 Chevy LUV

chriscarpenter0

Re: Parts Needed to turbo charge a non turbo 2.2L

Postby chriscarpenter0 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:41 pm

i am intrested in this as well you need to do to turbo the n/a 2.2? do you need to upgrade the pistons and stuff?
If there is wheels on it i will drive untill they fall off.....
82 Chevy LUV 5-speed diesel 200,000mi and still going.

turbo pup

Postby turbo pup » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:59 pm

NO,You DONT need to chang engine internals. in short answer the c223 is one of the diesels that will work either way. In order to put a turbo on You will need: 1) a turbo, 2) exhaust manifold to work with that turbo, 3) a oil supply line route from the banjo bolt that feeds the pump on the back of the alternater oil. 4) a oil drain tube from the bottom of turbo back to oil pan,Some welding maybe required. 5) hoses to connect turbo to intake manifold or really should be an intercooler in betwween since youre going through the trouble anyway.6) hose from air filter to turbo inlet. 7) exhaust dump pipe from outlet of turbine side of turbo. 3 inch pipe is what I would use anything more is just useless overkill anything less is not going to let turbo work at full potential, MAYBE 2 1/2" but I would stay with 3.
8) Water supply line and return -IF- the turbo is water cooled witch is the modern and better design
9) You maybe able to rout your pvc hose to the new intake system,if not youll need a short piece of hose for this. that pretty much covers the basics now for the mre technical. The exhaust manifold for the c223T is hard to find but would be verry straight forward. it has a flange called a t25. This means a Garret T25 turbo will bolt up. also a Garret T28 and of course the antiquated and no longer available new T2 that came factory on the truck. There are many other applications that use the "T25 or 28 flange" making it easier to find a turbo from the junkyard or a exhast manifold from a industrial engine. Also the newer design "BALL BEARING" turbos the GT2860 witch sells on ebay for about $650. Ive seen the regular "JOURNAL" bearing type T28 on ebay for under $250. Both of these prices were for brand new turbos (of the water cooled design)and included the shipping so looking at a junkyard for a turbo may save you a little money since it will come with the oil supply line and drain and most likely a water supply line and return but the life of the turbo well be unknown. this is bad because keeping up with oil changes is critical for the longevity of the turbo and without knowing unless You get a SWEET deal new is better. If the turbo is not water cooled from the junkyard I wouldnt waste my time with it. Ive been planning a stainless steel header that I will be starting probably in the next 2-3 weeks. I to want to turbo some of my other c223's so a stainless turbo header is in the plans but like I said the fisical work on the header hasnt begun yet. I plan on offering some kits solely here on the site for other members. Wow, that was a lot of typing! Good Luck for You and Youre trucks! Lyle.
86 Isuzupup4x4,5spd,turbo,space cab,AC,p/strng,sun roof
87spacecab2.3gas4x2automatic
85spacecab4x45spd2.3gas
81 chevyLUV2.25spd.4x2no a/c just youre basic shortbed
81chevyLUVdsl
81 Isuzu1.8,5spd fromchevette putin S10. MICE...pulled eng. +goodys junkedS10

PUPdiesel
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Isuzu Trooper II diesel

Postby PUPdiesel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Hey Lyle, the stainless turbo header sounds very interesting and I'm sure if you get a base model made up for more in the future to sell you wouldn't have a problem here on the forum selling. Thinking about water cooled turbos that would be a good route to go on a C223 because that way you wouldn't have to worry about your plumbing for oil supply and return. I'd be one of your first customers as I have a Trooper awaiting a much needed turbo addition. I'm not too far from you if you're in southern MD and my uncle actually lives in Essex, MD. That may actually not be too far from you unless you are on outskirts of DC. Good luck and keep us updated.

Sal
1986 Isuzu Trooper II diesel
265/75/R15 tires
Centerforce dual-friction clutch
w/ 81 C223, needs a turbo!

turbo pup

Postby turbo pup » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi Sal, Im headed to Essex tommorow actually. Its about an hour north of my folks. The turbos I was referring to ARE water cooled but still have the oil for lubrication so its actually more of a pain to install but the turbos last a lot longer because they stay cooler. The water cooled turbo is great because it eliminates the need for a turbo timer. It also just about eliminates the need for a pyrometer. Ive located the flange material to begin the header, I just need to pull a exhaust manifold and determine the best dementions of the piece I want. The 3/8 stainless is expensive! I should have time this weekend with the warmer weather we should finally be getting. Ill definately keep my progress posted.
Lyle.
86 Isuzupup4x4,5spd,turbo,space cab,AC,p/strng,sun roof
87spacecab2.3gas4x2automatic
85spacecab4x45spd2.3gas
81 chevyLUV2.25spd.4x2no a/c just youre basic shortbed
81chevyLUVdsl
81 Isuzu1.8,5spd fromchevette putin S10. MICE...pulled eng. +goodys junkedS10

Swarly

Postby Swarly » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:41 pm

Jackson_Farms wrote:I have an 82 Chevy LUV with a non turbo 2.2L in it i would like to know what all i need to put a turbo on it were to get parts and what can and cant work I know people are pulling parts from refer units and such and putting them on 2.2L engines but i dont know what parts and what model engines are in the refer trailers

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this; but since the refer diesel came up I'll give it a shot. My friend wants to put a little diesel in a toyota truck. My brother-in-law swapped out an Isuzu 2.2SE out of his reefer and turned it into electric instead. My question is this, what is the difference between the 2.2SE and the C223? Looks like they are the same size engine, can the 2.2SE be converted with pumps and other things from a C223 to make it run like a C223? Or is this just a big waste of time to try? Thank you for any help with this question.

Kevin

minimax

Postby minimax » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:37 pm

yea, I was wondering the same thing. Will the 2.2 se and 2.2 di stuff work with the right amount of swapping over.

S-10 luv'r

Postby S-10 luv'r » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:05 pm

There is one thing you need to be aware of; I just recently found out that the turbo head is different than the normally aspirated head the valves are larger on the normally aspirated head. I can't say for sure as it's only my guess but the turbo version may need the smaller valves to help spin the turbo at a faster speed. I'm not saying that the normally aspirated head won't work but there is a difference to be aware of that may affect performance or how clean the burning of the fuel is. other members on this forum may be able to tell you how well their conversion went with the normally aspirated head. I'd like to know also.
As to the reefer diesel engines there is more than one version being used in reefers. the C223 was used and from what I have heard can be converted to auto use but I have not seen any turbo versions in reefers only normally aspirated versions. So I don't know if the turbo version actually exists in reefers. but the engines look the same except for the fuel pump and bell housing and on some C223 engines the plate that bolts to the back of the engine is different. the starter is on the passenger side of that engine plate. This is what I have seen and have not actually done a conversion to automotive use on one of these engine. I hope this helps a little.
Diesel, Diesel. Love my Diesel MPG.
My Vehicles:
1985 S-10 2.2L C223 Diesel (not a conversion) original owner
2 Spare C223 engines for the life of my S-10
Joined to give and get help on C223 engine topics

S-10 luv'r

Postby S-10 luv'r » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Concerning a turbo ... Has anyone ever put a turbo on the S-10 version of this engine or has anyone heard of it being done? I mean in the S-10 itself? I would like to know. Thanks.
Diesel, Diesel. Love my Diesel MPG.
My Vehicles:
1985 S-10 2.2L C223 Diesel (not a conversion) original owner
2 Spare C223 engines for the life of my S-10
Joined to give and get help on C223 engine topics

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:22 pm

S-10 luv'r wrote:Concerning a turbo ... Has anyone ever put a turbo on the S-10 version of this engine or has anyone heard of it being done? I mean in the S-10 itself? I would like to know. Thanks.
There was one on eBay recently. It listed twice and I don't know the final outcome. It was really rough, it had the P'up transmission and instrument cluster (which didn't really fit the space). So it's been done, but I can't tell you what the vehicle was like.

Jack