Turbo Replacement Post-Op

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
Rjonesy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Turbo Diesel Space Cab LS

Turbo Replacement Post-Op

Postby Rjonesy » Mon May 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Finished the turbo swap. While the GT -17 may still be a bit bigger than optimal for the low end I feel I accomplished my purpose. Advantages: Improved low end acceleration, I can now shift without falling below the boost level, I can go up a hill at less than 2k rpm and still accelerate, still have good top end (above 75mph) pickup, quietness - the original screamed a lot even after being rebuilt. I don’t feel such a sudden boost at spool up. Before the engine would get the shakes idling after running down the freeway for awhile. That seems to be much improved. Some pics:
FE770D1C-8586-4E84-9CE2-BDC74AF56320.jpeg
Here you can see the nice welding job done by our school’s shop. If a bit blurry.
484AEA37-CE8C-43D9-A034-4F3A83FA521D.jpeg
The DIY adaptor plate is in view here. One issue I discovered that still needs rectifying is the tip of the parking break lever barely hits the waste gate actuator bracket. A bit of “redneck” fabricating should cure this. Also I had to order an m12x1.5 banjo bolt for the oil feed. Unfortunately the USPS delivered it to who knows where. So I made my own by drilling out a regular bolt. Seems to be fine. Can also catch a glimpse of the oil drain. High temp silicon wrapped with exhaust temp wrap.
2AAF6151-AC37-4AC9-9EEC-3A11165537AF.jpeg
A bit farther out. At one point I had put a VW intercooler where the filter housing is located. Went back to original. Intake loudness started to bug me (I’ve done a lot of cabin sound deadening) and the tuning of the factory snorkel seems to provide better overall functioning than the intercooler did.