VW CSD conversion

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
IsuzuWillysCJ3B
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1957 CJ3B with Isuzu 4fb1

VW CSD conversion

Postby IsuzuWillysCJ3B » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Hey guys, anybody know how to do the VW CSD conversion on a VE44 injection pump? Things like where to get the parts,etc. Any help is appreciated!

KarlssonOnTheRoof
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1985 Isuzu Pup longbed 4x4 With 4ja1 Now With Turbo running 30+ psi boost:) 1989 Isuzu Trooper with 4jb1-T

Re: VW CSD conversion

Postby KarlssonOnTheRoof » Mon May 28, 2018 12:32 am

whats is CSD conversion?

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon May 28, 2018 6:49 pm

IsuzuWillysCJ3B wrote:Hey guys, anybody know how to do the VW CSD conversion on a VE44 injection pump? Things like where to get the parts,etc. Any help is appreciated!

Send Paul a PM (pvt msg). He has done many of the conversions.
KarlssonOnTheRoof wrote:whats is CSD conversion?
The CSD is a cold start device. It advances the timing at start up for quicker starts. Once it starts, the timing is supposed to return to "normal" operating setting. This is accomplished through the use of internal pump pressure, shims, springs, piston, and seals. The VW conversion replaces the automatic CSD with a level and cable. That system was used on the VW cars & little pickups. Same type of inj pump basically, so the parts interchange.

Here's more about it.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6842
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7773
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20679

DieselJeep

Postby DieselJeep » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:24 pm

I omitted my CSD completely when I rebuilt my injection pump. And drove the Heep though 2 ohio winters. Granted I have a semi sized group 31 925cca battery, and a new at the time factory Isuzu 4FB1 2+HP starter and glowplugs. Only once was I worried about a no start, in mid January, @ -5*. I let it cool a bit while I ran to the gas station for starting fluid, and gave it the smallest shot of ether right into the filter for dissipation. ONLY time I EVER used ether, as you can VERY easily balloon Glowplug tips, which afterwards can break off in the cyl head. The Isuzu CSD is known to develop leaks, and my thought was erratic function could mess up the timing. Short cycle (@ 20 sec) of the manually switched, generic old school starter solenoid wired for the juice, 12v glow plug conversion, glow plugs is usually sufficient.
Unskilled, uneducated, inexperienced, tools/facilities lacking, and faint of heart, be warned:
All vehicles are hunks of crap. Designed by individuals, the majority of which, have never turned a wrench.
Which one do you want to fall in love with?

IsuzuWillysCJ3B
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1957 CJ3B with Isuzu 4fb1

Postby IsuzuWillysCJ3B » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Dieseljeep, what glow plugs did you use? Do you remember the part number by any chance??

DieselJeep

Postby DieselJeep » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:20 am

There is a thread about 12v GP's in a 4fb1, member "cocheeze"? is a bit of an expert and lists lists 2 different GPs possible for 12v conversion
Unskilled, uneducated, inexperienced, tools/facilities lacking, and faint of heart, be warned:
All vehicles are hunks of crap. Designed by individuals, the majority of which, have never turned a wrench.
Which one do you want to fall in love with?