C223, glowplugs, A/C, and vacuum lines

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
bangarang
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1981 isuzu pup

C223, glowplugs, A/C, and vacuum lines

Postby bangarang » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 pm

I am trying to overhaul and simplify my 1981 isuzu pup 4x4 and turn it into my duck truck for this winter and more to come. It is very old and and was not taken care of very well. There are a lot of wires and whatnot that I am trying to figure out where they go, but I had a few questions.

First, can I take out my a/c system? It looks like the guy who gave it to me had a switch rigged up inside to work the a/c and fast idle switch as well as a pulley and bracket made, which is not even straight, to allow the a/c to run off the pulley that runs the alternator and water pump.

Second, I am missing the wire on the left side of my thermostat housing which i was led to believe turned off my glow plugs after they had been warmed up. I read something about being able to bypass this- i mean i kinda have to because there is no wire there, but is it really that important or do i need to gain access to to and be able to ground those plugs when the engine warms up. Also wanted to know what the other two wires on the other sensor on the right side of the thermostat housing were for.

third, the vacuum pump is working good from the back of the alternator then it runs to a vacuum switch that runs to the injector pump. The switch is disconnected and looks like isn't wired up at all and was bypassed by the owner who ran the a/c switch. I believe the vacuum switch which i was lead to believe had to deal with fast idle, but if i'm not running the ac (or take it out), or can just hold down the gas and wait till the engine warms up then do i even need to try to make this system work for the cold. Also to note it only gets to about 20F where i'm from at most and not even every year.

bangarang
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1981 isuzu pup

Re: C223, glowplugs, A/C, and vacuum lines

Postby bangarang » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:40 pm

also if i take out my a/c will i still be able to defrost the windows with the heater