Isuzu alternator swap and bracket build.

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
Backfromthedead

Isuzu alternator swap and bracket build.

Postby Backfromthedead » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:57 am

So recently I finished my c223 swap from a rusty ole P'up into my 93 S10, it wasn't long that I decided that it needed a bigger alternator and started looking at other options. I found what I was looking for from Jmerber, another fine member of this group. After reading Jmember's posts I decided to do away with 45amp alternator and vacuum pump and swap in a hydraulic brake booster that runs off of the power steering pump. I robbed a used hydro booster and lines off a 1993 Astro Van (make sure you get the master cylinder reservoir, my S10 resevoir didn't fit like I led to believe) from the local pick n pull, because you have to swap the ends of the push rods out (the S10's push for is a little shorter and has a smaller diameter connecting hole that hooks to the brake pedal), cut the ends off, measured them to the right length, slipped a metal sleeve around the base, welded the end piece from the s10 to the hydro booster and then slipped the sleeve around that weld and welded it in place. After that it bolted right up to the s10. I still have to have the lines made for it but I'm confident it's all going to work as should.

Next was the S10 C223 alternator... For some odd reason I was thinkin it would just bolt right up, I figured the hardest part was going to be the brake booster.... It's never that easy, the S10 alternator sits about 1 1/2 to 2" forward from the P'up's alternator meaning I would need to make or purchase an S10 bracket. After two failed attempts at making my own bracket I was able to get in touch with Tigman (another fine member of this group) and he generously offered to provide me with detail measurements from his bracket! After a little back and forth I got all the info I needed and built a 3D model that I was able to use to input the measurements onto a friends CNC mill to cut out and weld together. Thanks to Tigman's awesome measurements the new bracket bolted on and lined up perfectly! I'll try to add the 3D file to the forum for anyone who might want to take on this task for themselves, but I will also add the drawings that Tigman so kindly provided for anyone who wants to give this a go.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Pieces cut out and my failed 1st attempt

Backfromthedead

Re: Isuzu alternator swap and bracket build.

Postby Backfromthedead » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:59 am

image.jpeg
Welded together and 5 layers of rust sealing paint!
image.jpeg
Welded together and 5 layers of rust sealing paint!

Backfromthedead

Postby Backfromthedead » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:01 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Backfromthedead

Postby Backfromthedead » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:08 am

For the upper adjustment arm I cut the back end off the P'up's adjustment arm and drilled a new hole. This then bolted up to the bottom of the power steering bracket, I used a 3/4" long piece of hole stock and a longer bolt to secure it, after tightening everything down this thing is rock solid! Also worth mentioning that I had to search for a smaller belt, I believe it's the same size or just a little smaller than the P'up's factory belt, but this setup gives you very little room for adjustment, mine is actually contacting the plastic shroud around the steering column and leaves only 1/2 to 3/4" between the alternator and power steering pump!

Backfromthedead

Postby Backfromthedead » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:12 am

I'll try to post the scanned version of the drawings as soon as I find them in my email backlog...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:51 pm

good work. Nice welds

Backfromthedead

Postby Backfromthedead » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks, I actually had a friend weld it up for me. Welding is one of the things on my list to learn. I thought about making a few more for people interested in doing this swap, I still have the program saved on my buddy's CNC machine, but I really don't there's too much call for it.

DieselJeep

Postby DieselJeep » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:11 am

Another random thought for all those out there considering upgrading to a bigger amp alternator might be a diesel forklift say mitsu built cat, or a ford diesel alternator. The fords may be WAAY more common than an s10 diesel alt.
Lucky my Jeep is light, and was manual brakes, which can lock up easily, if needed. The 3 wire GM alternator is as common and cheap as it gets.
Unskilled, uneducated, inexperienced, tools/facilities lacking, and faint of heart, be warned:
All vehicles are hunks of crap. Designed by individuals, the majority of which, have never turned a wrench.
Which one do you want to fall in love with?

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:27 am

That's some really nice work! And great use of the forum and the knowledge of other members (Tigman).

Jack

DieselJeep

Postby DieselJeep » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:17 pm

I forgot to mention, the alternators I suggested DO have a vacuum pump, which is why I threw that out there.
Unskilled, uneducated, inexperienced, tools/facilities lacking, and faint of heart, be warned:
All vehicles are hunks of crap. Designed by individuals, the majority of which, have never turned a wrench.
Which one do you want to fall in love with?

Return to “Diesel - Performance Mods & Upgrades”