Replacement Radiator Found

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
Dangbert

Replacement Radiator Found

Post by Dangbert »

For any of you who are looking to replace the radiator in your diesel Pup, I have found one that is almost a drop in. When I say "almost" I mean exactly that. The radiator on my 84 had gotten to the point where it had no reserve capacity at all. So, I jumped on the Forum and did not get a solid lead (It may well be here, I just did not see it), called Walker Radiator in Memphis and they did not want to make a custom for me (even if they had, it would have been pushing $800 ), so I quit for a bit. Then started looking again, for a three core/tube, and nothing fit.

That is when I stumbled across Champion in Lake Elisanore, Ca. Called them up and told the very helpful sales lady by the name of Wendy, the dimensions I needed, she searched her database and came up with on that would work. However, the inlet and outlet were on the opposite sides and were too large, plus the filler neck was off-center, but they could/would make the necessary changes. Total, about $440.00, which was a whole lot better than Walker, AND they would ship it to me ASAP. I had another friend looking and told her I would get back to her.

Three days later, i called her back and told her that I had been looking on their site and, from all I could tell from the dimensions they listed, a Datusn 240Z radiator should just about drop in. The inlet and outlet were on the correct sides and were the correct size. The filler neck was in the center and the overflow pipe even pointed the right way. She ask me about the sloping top and I said I did not think that would be a problem. So I gave her my plastic number and she charged it $237.78 for an aluminum triple core, Datsun 240/260z radiator.

http://www.championradiators.com/Datsun ... -1970-1973

it arrived yesterday and I took one look at the box and said, "Deb, you blew it, there is no way this is going to fit." It is so nice to be wrong.

Here are the steps/mods necessary to install the 240Z radiator in a Pup (at least an 84 model)

The radiator is about 3/4" wider than stock, so I made a template out of poster board and located where the holes would have to be drilled in the front member. (Removing the fan, air box and battery make this go a lot easier). Drilled the holes, with a 3/16" bit, checked for alignment, made the necessary adjustments and drilled the final holes 3/8"

Trimmed a bit off the front of the battery box on the corner by the radiator to ease installation (about 1" wide and 2" long)

Bent the shroud mounting tab on the battery side forward flush with the side of the radiatior to allow the battery to sit back in the box.

Cut about 2 1/2" off the lower hose on the radiator end and cut 1" off both ends of the upper hose.

The hose for the inlet air box fits very snugly between the mounting tabs on the driver's side of the radiator.

That was it.

The fan has about 3/4" clearance and the radiator holds over three times the amount of coolant the old one did.

Took it out for a run, naturally, and the temperature gauge lays on the thermostat (In this case 180 degrees), instead of getting way on up toward the center mark.

FWIW

Deb
"84" 5spd long bed diesel
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Replacement Radiator Found

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Deb, that's FANTASTIC news! Thanks so much for finding this, and for sharing your find. I'm not sure if this should go in "Parts", or "Diesel Performance Mods & Upgrades". I may put it in both. :)

Jack
Dangbert

Post by Dangbert »

I thought you "might" find it useful. ;-)

Like you, I did not know where to put it, but knew you would place in in whatever slot(s) you thought it needed to go.

You know, it feels good to be able to give something back, after you and the forum have helped me sooooo much.

Deb
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

Thanks so much for this information! It will be useful to many other for yrs to come! I don't care where Jack puts the thread, but I'm gonna send myself a PM w/ a link to this and archive it for quick reference to help others in the future.
cocheeze

Post by cocheeze »

I can only assume that this 240Z radiator is far superior to the Ready-Rad/Vista-Pro (part # 433977) replacement radiator that has been mentioned as a replacement on the forum in the past?

I currently have that one installed in my 81 4WD Pup, and it sits between 1/2 and 2/3 on the gauge on hot days, which has always seemed a bit high to me. Granted, I do have the hottest thermostat available (192 degrees) because I run WVO... but the needle still seems like it sits a bit too high on the gauge.

I might be worth the swap if it cools better!
His:
'81 Isuzu P'up Diesel 4WD (310k)
'87 Isuzu P'up Spacecab Turbo Diesel (228k)
'81 Isuzu I-Mark Diesel (220k)
'81 Isuzu I-Mark LS Diesel (219k)

Hers:
'82 Isuzu I-Mark Diesel (135k)
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Can you post a few photos of your installation, with particular attention to the mods you had to make?

Thanks.
Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I thought someone would eventually find a replacement, but I just assumed we'd have to settle for one with plastic tanks. Sweet, this one has no plastic!

Jack
Dangbert

Post by Dangbert »

Really, there is not much to show, without taking the unit out, but I will get pictures of what I can, without a full disassemblly. Honestly, the ONLY mod to the truck is the 1x2 cutout on the battery box and the drilling of the holes to mount it. Everything else is a straight drop in - just make sure you have the fan installed BEFORE you try to drop it in, otherwise there is no way you will ever get it installed. As you all know, you have to pull the fan to get the old radiator out.

BTW, Champion has been extremely good to deal with.

Deb
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Deb,

Lots of us have batteries that completely fill the battery tray. Would this be a show stopper?

Jack
Dangbert

Post by Dangbert »

No, I am using a very large battery and everything fits very snugly. I will get some pictures up this afternoon.

Deb
Dangbert

Post by Dangbert »

Okay, these will give you some Idea of how it fits. Its close, but it does fit.

One last word, have at least two gallons of anti-freeze handy, this radiator holds a lot.

Please feel free to ask any question.

Deb
Attachments
Here you can see the approximate location of the mounting bolts.  Those on the bottom will need to be about 1 1/2" long, the top ones can be about 1".
Here you can see the approximate location of the mounting bolts. Those on the bottom will need to be about 1 1/2" long, the top ones can be about 1".
Here you can see the cutout in the battery box that allows  the radiator to drop in.
Here you can see the cutout in the battery box that allows the radiator to drop in.
You can see the battery tray is full size and snuggles up to the upper tab, which you will have bent over to allow the battery to fit..  This bent tab also serves as a holder for the battery, when padded with foam or bubble wrap.
You can see the battery tray is full size and snuggles up to the upper tab, which you will have bent over to allow the battery to fit.. This bent tab also serves as a holder for the battery, when padded with foam or bubble wrap.
Just a view from the back.  You cannot see it, but the tube for the air box fits perfectly between the tabs on the side of the radiator.
Just a view from the back. You cannot see it, but the tube for the air box fits perfectly between the tabs on the side of the radiator.
You can see the slope on the top of the radiator and the overflow
You can see the slope on the top of the radiator and the overflow
OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Post by OzarkDaredevil »

Holy smokes! That is a burly radiator.
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Deb, those pictures tell us all we need to know (except for my fan shroud question below). Thanks so much, I'll nominate you for the IsuzuPup.com hall of fame!
OzarkDaredevil wrote:Holy smokes! That is a burly radiator.

The sloped front makes it look thicker (from the front). But even so, it IS a burly radiator.

Their catalog also has a 4-core. :o That core is 2.5" thick, so it would definitely be tight. I wouldn't use that one, for fear of a hard stop causing the fan to chew into it.

I'm wondering if the shroud can be adapted to fit. Seeing a bare fan makes me nervous. If I go to all that trouble and expense, I'll look into their optional dual 12" electric fan/shroud kit (a $169.98 add-on).

Jack
Dangbert

Post by Dangbert »

I poked my fingers too far over the top of the radiator today. The blades just bumped the fingers and told me I was being foolish. ;-) No loss of "red stuff", no gaping wounds, just a bit of embarrassment. :-)

They have a shroud with two electric fans that will bolt on (costs about $120.00) The problem will be that shroud mounting tab that you need to bend over to get the battery back in the box.

Considering the three core holds at least three times the coolant the OEM radiator did, I can see no reason to go for the four core. The total thickness of the three core is pushing 2 3/4" thick. The question is, would the four core even fit? The three core just barely fits. Unless you are going to remove the fan and use their shroud and fans. THEN I wold make all sorts of measurements and have a long conversation with Wendy at Champion.
OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Post by OzarkDaredevil »

I may have a turd-design '81 radiator for sale soon...
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver