1977 chevy luv gas to diesel

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
Dchaney147
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1977 Chevy Luv 4X4 4 Speed Manual

1977 chevy luv gas to diesel

Postby Dchaney147 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Hey guys, new to the luv/pup world. I got a 77 chevy luv that's got a blown up gas engine and I'm looking to do a diesel. Looking for advice on an engine that will preferably bolt to the tranny perfectly or simply with an adapter. also, if someone knows a good place around greensboro nc that has those engines. Another thing, doing this what parts on the truck (fuel lines,tank,radiator,etc.)will I have to change out for the diesel. Like I said, I'm new to this and is open to all advice! Thanks guys!....and gals...maybe

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: 1977 chevy luv gas to diesel

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:56 pm

You have two engine choices.

The 1.8L 4FB1 is the smaller engine, but in some ways it may be the better choice. First, it bolts right up to your transmission. Second, it is OHC and has a 5,000 RPM redline, which plays better with your low-geared rear end. These can come from either a diesel I-Mark or a diesel Chevette. Those vehicles usually don't last as long as their engines so the engines pop up on the market now and then.

The 2.2L C223, although larger, redlines at only 4,200-ish RPM, and might have trouble at highway speeds, especially with a 4-speed transmission. It would require a diesel bell housing and might as well just say a diesel 5-speed transmission to make it driveable on the highway. These engines can come from a diesel P'up or LUV. They're also in Troopers, but those were all 4wd and I'm not sure if the 4wd oil pan will fit the 2wd chassis.

Jack

OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Postby OzarkDaredevil » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:12 pm

Jack,

Will a 4FB1 oil pan clear the 4x4 axle assembly?
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:31 pm

Tom,

Great catch, I missed the fact that this is a 4x4 LUV. I doubt it. In that case, the C223 may be the more practical option, although that really limits the donor pool to 4x4 LUVS, P'ups, and Troopers.

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Dchaney147 wrote:Hey guys, new to the luv/pup world. I got a 77 chevy luv that's got a blown up gas engine and I'm looking to do a diesel. Looking for advice on an engine that will preferably bolt to the tranny perfectly or simply with an adapter. also, if someone knows a good place around greensboro nc that has those engines. Another thing, doing this what parts on the truck (fuel lines,tank,radiator,etc.)will I have to change out for the diesel. Like I said, I'm new to this and is open to all advice! Thanks guys!....and gals...maybe

We have a 'gal' member in Greensboro who might be delighted to help you out. Her name is SCIENCE here on the site. We have another member in Graham/Burlington area who has a lot of knowledge about the older LUVs gassers & diesels. 1BadLuv is his screen name.

Dchaney147

Postby Dchaney147 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:47 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:Tom,

Great catch, I missed the fact that this is a 4x4 LUV. I doubt it. In that case, the C223 may be the more practical option, although that really limits the donor pool to 4x4 LUVS, P'ups, and Troopers.

Jack

Any good idea on where to find a C223 motor and 5 speed tranny and tcase that'll fit the luv?

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:51 pm

send 1BadLuv (Mike) a PM(prvt msg) He may have something. He did at one time.

Dchaney147

Postby Dchaney147 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:53 pm

puttputtinpup wrote:send 1BadLuv (Mike) a PM(prvt msg) He may have something. He did at one time.

I'll send him one, for that engine I'll need the 5 speed tranny you say? I'd rather have a 5 speed but if it didn't require one I'd stick with the 4 speed to cut cost

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:10 am

a 5-speed 4x4 transmission will be hard to find.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:52 am

puttputtinpup wrote:a 5-speed 4x4 transmission will be hard to find.

Yep, a whole Trooper drivetrain would fit the bill-including turbo.

Jack

zster

Postby zster » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:22 am

Dchaney147 wrote: I'll need the 5 speed tranny you say? I'd rather have a 5 speed but if it didn't require one I'd stick with the 4 speed to cut cost

you cannot use a c223 motor with the 4 speed trans from the gasser, as the starter is on the other side. so I guess technically you only need a new bellhousing...but....I just went ahead and got the whole tranny....4 speed...with xfer case.

also, you say your truck is 77 and 4wd....I am confused as they only offered the luv in 4wd starting in 1979...

also yes, there are gals here. hi.

-z
1980 4x4 diesel chevy luv - Lola

zster

Postby zster » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:26 am

oh yes and you will need another radiator.... the in and out ports are switched.... unless you can get real creative with hoses :)

and you will need to cut the metal radiator supports out, as the diesel rad is wider than gas. fortunately there is a 2nd set of supports you can bolt right into, after you cut the first out. perfect, really.... its like they predicted we'd be swappin the diesels into these :)
1980 4x4 diesel chevy luv - Lola

brian.w.geiger
Isuzu vehicle(s): 80 LUV

Postby brian.w.geiger » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:52 pm

On the 1.8L, is the lack of clearance between the oil pan and axle assembly close enough that the oil pan could be modified if someone were confident doing so, allowing a tight fit?

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:32 pm

zster wrote:oh yes and you will need another radiator.... the in and out ports are switched.... unless you can get real creative with hoses :)

and you will need to cut the metal radiator supports out, as the diesel rad is wider than gas. fortunately there is a 2nd set of supports you can bolt right into, after you cut the first out. perfect, really.... its like they predicted we'd be swappin the diesels into these :)
I believe that in Australia, the older LUVs came with diesels in them, so the radiator differences may have indeed been factored in when they designed the truck.

DieselJeep

Postby DieselJeep » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:37 pm

I would seriously weigh out my options, cost, and what is important. Sounds like 100% stock isn't so much. That much work I would seriously consider something very common and cheap, or a motor in that you can make some real power with.

If it were me, and that much work anyways, I would get a earlier 4.3L, or bigger, S10(or whatev, common Nissan with a VG30, etc.), and mount that body on it. Would probably be easier anyways(at least for me it would be), esp if those Isuzu 4x4 front end parts are getting rare.

Sounds like a lot of work in either case.

I had a 2WD LUV, early body. Miss it. Def a top 5 Best looking mini truck ever built.
Unskilled, uneducated, inexperienced, tools/facilities lacking, and faint of heart, be warned:
All vehicles are hunks of crap. Designed by individuals, the majority of which, have never turned a wrench.
Which one do you want to fall in love with?