IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:38 pm 

I have (3) 81'-82' Isuzu I-Mark 1.8 diesel engines in storage- I would like to use one for a conversion. being a MB/VW diesel owner I know next to nothing about the Isuzu. Will one of these bolt up to a 5spd trans from an 82 Pup diesel? The 1.8 engine is a timing belt whereas the 2.2 is a chain. Anyone know if these engines will interchange? My local parts supplier said that they share the exact same crankshaft. What about the bell housing, motor mounts, etc.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:19 pm 

Hi, and welcome to the site. The 1.8 4FB1 is an awesome little diesel engine and I rank it as being the best small diesel engine you could get in a small car back in the 80's (when compared with VW and most other Japanese companies like Mazda, Nissan, and Toyota). It does run a timing belt, but still uses a cast iron cylinder head unlike the four companies above that used cast aluminum (which really isn't good when mated to a diesel engine design). And actually the Isuzu 2.2 C223 does not use a timing chain, but rather a belt just like the smaller 1.8 4FB1. Besides that both engines are bombproof in my opinion. I'm pretty sure the transmissions will not interchange between the engines, which will be a challenge if it has to come down to making a custom adapter to fit between the choice of engine/trans. I really don't know if they use the same crankshaft and have never heard that tidbit before?? Plus you may want to stick with running the more truck friendly C223 in a PUP if you want to run a truck. It's not hard to find these engines for sale even after 20 years. Good luck with it all.

Salvy

1986 Isuzu Trooper II diesel
265/75/R15 tires
Centerforce dual-friction clutch
w/ 81 C223, needs a turbo!
1981 Chevy LUV Mikado 4x4 diesel
Sold/Traded for a 1988 Isuzu FSR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:37 pm 

I was recently given an isuzu motor free. I'm pretty sure it's an I-mark. It's diesel and Isuzu, but not like my Pup at all. Has the trans too. Not sure what I'll do with it but the motor turns over freely and the belt is intact.

I'd thought about getting an Impulse and making a diesel sports car.

1983 D-50, 2.3 TD, 4x4
1983 Maxima LD28
1987 Mercedes 300TDT for sale
other assorted "junk"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:06 pm 
Official Sensei, IsuzuPup Dōjō

floilburner wrote:
I have (3) 81'-82' Isuzu I-Mark 1.8 diesel engines in storage- I would like to use one for a conversion. being a MB/VW diesel owner I know next to nothing about the Isuzu. Will one of these bolt up to a 5spd trans from an 82 Pup diesel? The 1.8 engine is a timing belt whereas the 2.2 is a chain. Anyone know if these engines will interchange? My local parts supplier said that they share the exact same crankshaft. What about the bell housing, motor mounts, etc.?

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

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:28 am 

if I'm reading you right, it sounds like the gas & diesel i-marks can swap transmissions. Or the I-mark diesel can be mated with the gas truck transmission?

but the i-mark diesel will not mate to the pup diesel trans. I don't think the bell housings are removable from the trans.

But it sounds like you can install a complete i-mark diesel & trans into the truck and the motor mounts line up.

The I-mark is only 50 hp but how much is the Pup? Not much more?

1983 D-50, 2.3 TD, 4x4
1983 Maxima LD28
other assorted "junk"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:01 pm 

odie wrote:
if I'm reading you right, it sounds like the gas & diesel i-marks can swap transmissions. Or the I-mark diesel can be mated with the gas truck transmission?

but the i-mark diesel will not mate to the pup diesel trans. I don't think the bell housings are removable from the trans.

But it sounds like you can install a complete i-mark diesel & trans into the truck and the motor mounts line up.

The I-mark is only 50 hp but how much is the Pup? Not much more?

THE IMARK GAS AND DSL USED THE SAME TRANS , ASSY ALL YEARS , THE DSL LOW AND 2ND GEARS IN THE TRANS WERE ABOUT 4 % LOWER RATIO , NOT ENOUGH TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT, THE BASIC TRANS FORM THE IMRAK IF YOU TAKE OF THE FRONT CASE AT THE CENTER PLATE SAME AS THE DSL TRUCK THERE ARE INTERCHANGABLE , TRANS ARE BASICALLY THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THE DSL TRUCK , THE TRUCK TRANS IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE IMARK DSL, ON THE SMALL ENGS , IN 86 THEY BEEFED UP THE TRANS IN THE TRUCK WITH TH 2.3 ENG , IT IS AN EASY SWAP TO THE DSL ENG ALLSO JUST CHANGE THE FRT BELLHOUSIGN (MAIN cASE) AS LONG AS BOTH TRANS ARE 5PSD OR BOTH ARE 4 SPD , THROWOUT ARMS ARE IN A DIFF LOCATION FROM THE 4 SPD TO THE 5SPD , . THE TRUCK ENG STARTED OUT IN 81 AT 60 HP SOME OF THE LUV TRUCKS WERE RATED AT 58 , FOR SOEM REASON OR THE OTHER , IN 83-84 THEY CHANGED THE NO AND THE NO 4 MAIN BEARING IN THE DSL TRUCK TO A NAROWER BEARING WIDTH AND THE HP WENT UP TO 64 HP , THE BIG JUMP WAS WITH THE TURBO IN 86 IT WAS 80 HP. ALL THE TURBOS WERE RATED THE SAME , ALTHOUGH WE NEVER GOT THEM IN THIS COUNTYR THERE IS A WHOLE FAMILY OF THE 4F SERIES OF ENGS ALL THE WAY UP TO A 90 HP 2.4 L 4FD1 OR 4FG1 WITH OUT THE TURBO, TIS WOULD BE A GREAT ENG IN A PICKUP, AS IT WOULD LITERALLY BOLT INTO THE EXACT SPOT WHERE THE 2.3 OR THE 2.6 GAS ENG IS . , THE 4FB1 WAS AVAILABLE IN JAPAN WITH A TURBO THAT BUMPED IT TO ABOUT 70 HP , BUT IT WOULD NOT FIT INTO THE U.S. VERSION, BECAUSE OF THE BRAKE BOOSTER , BEING IN THE WAY , HOWEVER IT SHOULD FIT THE PICKUP , AND I JUST HAPPEN TO KNOW WHERE THERE IS A 4FB1 TURBO MANIDFOLD BRAND NEW , THAT I WOULD SELL VEY REASONABLE JERRY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:10 pm 

I think the starter is on the opposite side with respect to the imark diesel and pup diesel. Does it not matter?

Are you saying that the imark diesel will bolt up to the pup diesel trans?

And the pup diesel engine will mate with the imark trans?

1983 D-50, 2.3 TD, 4x4
1983 Maxima LD28
other assorted "junk"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:46 pm 

odie wrote:
I think the starter is on the opposite side with respect to the imark diesel and pup diesel. Does it not matter?

Are you saying that the imark diesel will bolt up to the pup diesel trans?

And the pup diesel engine will mate with the imark trans?

THAT IS CORRECT THE STARTERS ARE ON OPPOSITE SIDES , AND NO THE TWO COMPLETE TRANS ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE,, HOWEVER IF YOU TAKE BOTH THE IMARK DSL OR GAS TRANS AND LAY IT ON THE FLOOR ALONG SIDE THE DSL PUP TRANS YOU WILL SEE THAT THE FRT TRANS CASE IS DIFF, SO IF YOU TAKE THE TWO CASES OFF OF THE TWO TRANS AND SWITCH THEM NOW YOU HAVE TWO TRANNYS JUST LIKE YOU STRATED WITH, THE DSL IMARK USES THE SAME BOLT PATTERNON THE TRANS AS THE GAS ENG , THE DSL PUP IS THE ODD ONE IF YOU HAVE A BAD PUP TRANS AND A GOOD IMARK TRANS SWAP THE FRT BELL HOUSING OR CASE AS IT IS CALLED AND YOU WILL HAVE A USABLE TRANS FOR THE PUP . JERRY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:50 pm 

Interesting....

are the imark and pup transmissions the same after the bell housings? Same internals and tail and etc?

On a similar note... I know that the gas and diesel PUP trans are both different...but what about the transfer cases? will a gas 4x4 transfer case mate with a Diesel 4x4 transmission?

1983 D-50, 2.3 TD, 4x4
1983 Maxima LD28
other assorted "junk"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:01 pm 

odie wrote:
Interesting....

are the imark and pup transmissions the same after the bell housings? Same internals and tail and etc?

On a similar note... I know that the gas and diesel PUP trans are both different...but what about the transfer cases? will a gas 4x4 transfer case mate with a Diesel 4x4 transmission?

YES THEY ARE THE SAME EXACT DESIGN, HOWEVER SOME OF THE PARTS ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE DUE TO THE 1ST AND 2ND GEAR RATIOS BEING SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT AND SOME OF THE IMARKS HAD WHAT WAS CALLED AN ANTIRATTLE PLATE BEHIND ONE OF THE FRT INPUT GEARS ,,OTHER THAN MINOR DIFFERENCES THEY ARE THE SAME , ABOUT 90% OF THE PARTS ARE INTERCHANGABLE, YES THE 4WD GAS AND THE 4WD DSL TRANSFER CASES ARE INTERCHANGABLE ALLSO , AS LONG AS IT IS A 4WD TO A 4WD 5 SPD, A LOT OF THE TRAN SFER CASE PARTS EVEN FROM THE 4SPD VERSION ARE THE ,SAME , EXCEPT WHERE THE 5TH GEAR ASSY IS LOCATED , THIS IS A PRETTY TOUGH TRANSFER CASE AS IT IS ALL CAST IRON. JERRY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:44 pm 

So While perusing the Junk-yard this past weekend there is an 86 P'up gasser w/ an automatic (removable bell housing) and complete 82 Imark 1.8 diesel ... that would give me one heck of a economical drivetrain to maybe throw in say... a MG if i can find a trans box to slap to the back of the bellhousing?

RCM for life
1.5/3" drop, Trooper II headlights, Trans am TurnSig, Tiburon seats, Full Phantom Grill.

Post subject: Great Idea!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:38 am 

That would be the most fuel efficient MG there ever was. Probably pretty fast too. I like it.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:33 pm 

BareIsm wrote:
So While perusing the Junk-yard this past weekend there is an 86 P'up gasser w/ an automatic (removable bell housing) and complete 82 Imark 1.8 diesel ... that would give me one heck of a economical drivetrain to maybe throw in say... a MG if i can find a trans box to slap to the back of the bellhousing?

THAT 86 PUP GAS ENG AUTO TRANS WILL BOLT RIGHT ON THE DSL IMARK ENG , AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE AUTOMATIC FLYWHEEL A ND THE ENERTIA WHEEL FOR THE DSL. THE CONVERTOR BLTS EVEN LINE UP, HOWEVER THE DIPSTICK FILLER TUBE IS ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE, AND BE SURE AND CHECK THE CONVERTOR TO FLYWHEEL CLEARANCE, SOME OF THEM HAD TO BE SHIMMED UP BETWEEN THE CONVERTOR LUGS AND THE FLYWHEEL ABOUT 1/4 INCH, STARTER BOLTS RIGHT ON, YOU ARE AWARE THAT SOME OF THE MG CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH THE BORG WARNER TRANS 3 SPD, AND THE ASIAN WARNER IS THE GREAT GRAND NEPHEW OF THAT OLD 3PD TRANNY, YOU CAN ALLSO FIT AN 83-86 ISUZU IMPULSE 4SPD AUTO ON THE DSL ENG AND IT WOULD WORK GREAT IN AN MG, WE ARE IN THE PROCESS RIGHT NOW OF FABRICATING AN ADAPTER TO REPLACE THE ORIG 3 SPD TRANS FOR ONE OF THE 4PSD TRANS IN A 75 MG THAT WAS OWNED BY THE WIFE OF A MR JOHN THORNLY WHO WAS THE PRESIDENT OF MG MOTOR CARS IN ENGLAND THIS CAR IS NOW IN THE U.S. IN HIS SONS GARAGE, THIS CAR WAS AL SO HAND BUILT FOR THIS GENTS MOTHER BY ORDER OF HIS POP BECAUSE SHE WANTED A RIGHT HAND DRIVE AUTO MG, SO IT GOT BUILT AND IS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MG CONVERTS YOU EVER SAW , BUT IT IS GOING TO BE CONVERTED TO THE OVERDRIVE SO THAT IT CAN BE DRIVEN A LITTLE EASIER ON THE HIWAY , BUT AT THE SAME TIME KEPT AS CLOSE TO ORIGINAL AS POSSIABLE AND CAN BE RETURNED BACK TO STOCK IF THE NEED EVER ARISES JERRY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:35 pm 

Will I be able to use gas isuzu trooper parts to convert my 82 LUV diesel 5spd 2wd. Will a gas 5spd tail housing and t/case work for the diesel 5spd 2wd tranny?? Or do I have to HAF TA have the diesel 5spd 4wd tranny?

How about trooper to pup/luv wheel base. Did they utilize the same frame for the short bed maybe??

My first little diesel was a convert that I made from a 82 S10 Isuzu 1.9 gas 4spd 2wd. To a 1.8 5spd 2wd from a 81 chevette/isuzu. I noticed the transes were the same pattern but opted for diesel 5spd. I still have the diesel motor/trans as well as my luv 5spd(in the truck) and 86 turbopup 5spd. out of these 4 transes none had the removable bell housing. Are they uncomon or did I just not run across any???
Any answers or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:15 pm 

turbo pup wrote:
Will I be able to use gas isuzu trooper parts to convert my 82 LUV diesel 5spd 2wd. Will a gas 5spd tail housing and t/case work for the diesel 5spd 2wd tranny?? Or do I have to HAF TA have the diesel 5spd 4wd tranny?

How about trooper to pup/luv wheel base. Did they utilize the same frame for the short bed maybe??

My first little diesel was a convert that I made from a 82 S10 Isuzu 1.9 gas 4spd 2wd. To a 1.8 5spd 2wd from a 81 chevette/isuzu. I noticed the transes were the same pattern but opted for diesel 5spd. I still have the diesel motor/trans as well as my luv 5spd(in the truck) and 86 turbopup 5spd. out of these 4 transes none had the removable bell housing. Are they uncomon or did I just not run across any???
Any answers or assistance is greatly appreciated.

OK THE TOOPER GAS ENG TRANS 5SPD 86-87 WILL BOLT RIGHT ON THE 1.8 LITER I MARK ENG NOTHING HAS TO BE DONE, IF YOU WANT TO USE THE TROOPER GAS TRANS ON THE TRUCK DSL YOU WILL NEED THE FRT BELLHOUSING (FRT MAIN TRANS CASE) FROM THE DSL NOTHING FROM THE BACK END OF THE GAS OR DSL TRANS WILL INTERCHANGE FROM THE 4WD TO THE 2WD ALL ISUZU TRANS HAVE FRONT REMOVABLE BELLHOUSINGS , THAT IS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET THE TRANS APART, IT SEPERATES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRANS AND THE BELLHOUSING IS PART OF THE FRT CASE BUT IS STILL A BELLHOUSING, THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO THIS WOULD BE THE S10 NOT THE LUV TRUCK, AS GM DID BUILD SOME OF THE S10 TRUCKS WITH THE ISUZU DSL ENG AND THEY USED A BORGWARNER 5PSD TRANS BUT IN 2WD ISUZU NEVER USED THIS TRANS IN THE PICKUP.JERRY