Boost

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
bthood
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Isuzu I-mark engine 1.8 liter diesel, 1987 PUP

Boost

Post by bthood »

Hey Everyone!
I’m sitting here looking at EBay and planning/dreaming about my project and how a should proceed. I’ve got a question about turbo boost. I’ve heard all of the stories about too much boost and to avoid that at all
Costs in a NA conversion. I was looking at the different control devices offered. First, what is the stock psi of boost the a turbo C223 would take? I’m thinking that since my conversion is a NA C223 if I keep it at a level below the factory settings, maybe I can keep it safe for a while. For example if a turbo c233 has a 15 psi waste gate I should set a program’s level waste gate at 10 psi. How much is too much boost? Any thoughts? Additionally, will the low boost application help that much? My truck I’m using is heavier than a pup but weighs about the same as a Trooper. I am not wanting to race or pull heavy loads, and I don’t live in a hilly area. However, I would like to be able to merge onto the interstate when needed. I’m not too concerned with fuel mileage but I do want to build this project to be as durable as I can. Thanks in advance for any input.
Brian.
DieselJeep

Re: Boost

Post by DieselJeep »

I don't have the answers, but I do have something to ponder:

The main concern is where boost comes in, not how much. You want it early. Too big of a turbo and you get late, >possibly< "big" boost if spinning early enough.

It's like many "car guys", putting a huge 750cfm carb on a worn out chevy 305(I've seen it), the habit is always go bigger than is what is needed.

Boost psi is a measure of "RESTRICTION", as "boost psi" climbs as you are cramming air into somewhere it can't gulp fast enough.
Then psi goes up. So does intake temps.
And like our hot rodder friend, almost unusable boost or "power" way high in rpms. Worthless on street.
you make "the most power" but it drives like garbage in the RPM's that matter.

You should see the size of a turbo on a Bobcat 90HP Kabota. tiny, making 90hp, with boost right off idle
Unskilled, uneducated, inexperienced, tools/facilities lacking, and faint of heart, be warned:
All vehicles are hunks of crap. Designed by individuals, the majority of which, have never turned a wrench.
Which one do you want to fall in love with?
bthood

Post by bthood »

I wonder what turbo he’s using?
Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 83 Dsl LS Long Bed 4x4, 82 Dsl 2wd Short Bed 5 spd

Post by Halden »

DieselJeep wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:16 am
You should see the size of a turbo on a Bobcat 90HP Kabota. tiny, making 90hp, with boost right off idle
Little baby turbos!! But seriously. You are 100% correct. Most people just slap a big turbo on and think it's great until they fire it up. I can confirm the tiny turbo deal, one engine I maintain is a 56L V16 that runs 1200 RPM all day. and the turbos are, in my opinion, comically small for that particular engine. Under near full load I think it runs about 15-20 pounds. But it's all based on where you want that boost.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard
bthood

Post by bthood »

I do have a factory Isuzu c223t turbo, factory intake, and factory exhaust manifold that I’m going to try (why the invent the wheel) and see how it performs. The only thing that scares me is too much boost (I know very little about turbos). That’s why I am as asking about controlling the boost. For example, if the factory waste gate is set at 10psi then I’d need to get a programAble one and set it at 8psi. I keep asking all of these questions and I do appreciate the feedback. However, my version of slow and someone else’s version will be different. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I probably just need to try it myself and see how I like it. I really don’t care if it’s “fast” and I am not concerned with fuel economy. I am not going to pull anything and there no hills close by. I do want something that is safe to drive such being able to merge into traffic. My Sport Trac should weigh about the same as a Trooper so I’m hoping that it will putt putt around town for me. If this conversion fails I am going go to try a hot version of. 302/c4 I. This little Ford to see how that performs.
Brian.
Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 83 Dsl LS Long Bed 4x4, 82 Dsl 2wd Short Bed 5 spd

Post by Halden »

bthood wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:17 am
My Sport Trac should weigh about the same as a Trooper so I’m hoping that it will putt putt around town for me.
Trooper weighs something like 3600 pounds, Sport Trac weighs about 1000 more pounds
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard
bthood

Post by bthood »

I know it’s heavier but I’m going to try it. If the turbo helps then fine. If it doesn’t then I’ve got a good turbo engine that I’ll keep as a spare for my 87 pup.