Which trans will fit a 1.8?

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
bthood
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Isuzu I-mark engine 1.8 liter diesel, 1987 PUP

Which trans will fit a 1.8?

Post by bthood »

Hello everyone!
And ideas or suggestions as to which Manila trans will bolt into a 1.8 NA diesel from an 82 Chevette? Is there an automatic? I have several 4 and 5 speed units from C223 Na’s. Will those work or bolt to the 1.8’s?
Brian.
puttputtinpup

Re: Which trans will fit a 1.8?

Post by puttputtinpup »

If I'm not mistaken, anything from a gasser engine will bolt to the 1.8 diesel. Transmissions from C223 will not. The starter is on the opposite side
bthood

Post by bthood »

What years? 4 cly only?
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

bthood wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:51 pm
What years? 4 cly only?
What's it going into?

I'd stay away from any 2wd before 1986. So 1986-1995. Assuming it's going into a vehicle with a cable-operated clutch, I'd suggest using the MSG-5 rather than the MUA-5. That means probably a 2.3L powered truck.

Jack
BigAl51
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Suzuki Samurai project, 4fb1 engine swap w/ Isuzu drive train

Post by BigAl51 »

The chevette I got my 1.8 out of had a THM-180 or 200 automatic behind it.

My dad and I drove the heck out of it and still got 30+ mpg out of it.

I will try to post a picture this afternoon when I can get to it.

Al
Luck will carry you further than skill any day...
bthood

Post by bthood »

Curiously, what did you put the chevette engine and trans into and how well did it work?
BigAl51
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Suzuki Samurai project, 4fb1 engine swap w/ Isuzu drive train

Post by BigAl51 »

I did not use the automatic (but it would have been easier if I had). I am the one on the next post down (4ZE1 flywheel on 4FBI).

So far I got it to run with a bunch of "stuff" crammed together, but I have a lot left to do.

Al
BigAl51

Post by BigAl51 »

Sorry it took so long. Had to get to the shop then dig it out, but here is what came on my 1.8 (grim and all):

Bottom<br />Tag
Bottom
Tag
20210712_164909.jpg
Attachments
20210712_164923.jpg
DieselJeep

Post by DieselJeep »

Didn't notice if you were trying to keep it in a stock vehicle.

If you are skilled and talented, can fabricate and engineer a hydraulic clutch system(generally just mix and match slave and master cyls), can source a rare 4FB1 manual trans flywheel, a rodeo 2WD gasser bellhousing, and willing to use a manual 5 speed, I can name 5 vehicles that came with a T5 trans so you are looking at a VERY common transmission.

Datsun 280Z, Camaro, Mustang, S-10, cj5. That's just off the top of my head, whereas you are fabricating motor mounts to get it into these chassis.

Twenty + years from now, you'll be glad you did.

EXAMPLE:
My wife and I are looking for a minty 1997-2005 Wrangler, I6, auto. to be her daily, and keep it until we pass away.

That is a rarish auto trans, only 15+ years old. Much harder to find, and already 3X the price, of the UBER common, UBER strong, Toyota Supra sourced auto, modified for a transfer case, that came in the XJ Cherokee. Swaps have already been done and documented. SO the money, engineering and fiddlefarting will be worth it, than try to find a very rare auto trans, that will be CRAZY expensive, another 20 years from now.

Just my 2c.

PS> People are discovering that auto cherokees will handle a fair amount of boost stock, with tuning, and going VERY RESPECTABLE, esp for an SUV, in the 1/4. I am talking 12-10 second 1/4s. Fairly stock appearing.
Unskilled, uneducated, inexperienced, tools/facilities lacking, and faint of heart, be warned:
All vehicles are hunks of crap. Designed by individuals, the majority of which, have never turned a wrench.
Which one do you want to fall in love with?
bthood

Post by bthood »

I’m not having a lot of luck find a trans for my 1.8 diesel
Project. I did find a 5 speed Rodeo from a 94 model v-6. Will that one fit or will it have to be from a 4 cylinder?
DieselJeep

Post by DieselJeep »

That's why I mentioned it.
If memory serves it has to be a 1991-2001(?) Rodeo 2.6L(?) gasser 4 cyl., >>2WD!!<< manual trans.

The key is starter location. Different than C223. Looking forward, it is @ the 2 o'clock position, near injection pump.

I found mine through a random stranger in PlanetIsuzoo.com . It's a broader, worldwide, Isuzu site.
Guy pulled it from an AZ pick your part, and as many T5 parts he could yank in a few hours, and mailed it, before I had sent a dime.
God bless that man.

The center large, metric hole where the input shaft front bearing carrier and seal has to be machined to SAE size on center by a GOOD machine shop.if using SAE trans(like a Jeep). A Metric T5 it will be perfect as is.

I would verify years and motor through Jerry Lemond, and post a want ad there.

The West Coast is where all the rare-ish Japanese parts are. Or some rural older gent 2-3 states away, with no internet. LOL

The 4FB1 is an AMAZING diesel. AMAZING.
But the nature of it being rare and unknown in the US makes up for how cheap they are.
After the rare-ish bell housing, next is the rare manual trans flywheel.

Best of luck, Brother.
10495713_10152208168910825_5891153942961277825_o.jpg
Unskilled, uneducated, inexperienced, tools/facilities lacking, and faint of heart, be warned:
All vehicles are hunks of crap. Designed by individuals, the majority of which, have never turned a wrench.
Which one do you want to fall in love with?
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

DieselJeep wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:09 am
The 4FB1 is an AMAZING diesel. AMAZING.
Its stats are impressive. The power curve is much different from the C223. I guess that has a lot to do with it being an OHC engine.

But here's a juicy bit of info about an engine we didn't get here. About 10 years ago, I ran across listings for 4FC1 turbodiesel engines from a JDM seller on eBay. The 4FC1 was a 2 liter engine, like a "big brother" of the 4FB1. It put out about 80 HP (I guess that was the turbo version). I asked Jerry about this, via email, and here are his comments:
JLEMOND wrote:HI JACK, YES THAT IS FROM THE ASKA AUTOMOBILE AND IT IS ABOUT 80 HP ,THAT WOUDL BE A FANTASTIC ENG IN A 2WD PICKUP AND A FAIRLY EASY SWAP, ESP IF THE PICKUP WAS A GAS ENG TO BEGINE WITH, TRANS ,IS SAME BOLT PATTERN, THTA ENG LOOKS LIEK A LOW MI ENG, THE TRANS IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE PICKUPS, WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HAD THAT IN THAT AMIEGO I HAD . , TH ONLY THING ABOUT THAT ENG IT CAME WITH THE SUPER FAST GLOW PLUGS, BUT CAN BE CHANGED TO THE ONES LIKE I YOUR PICKUP. THAT IS A SMOOTH AND VERY QUITE RUNNING ENG. AND WILL REV TO 5000 RPM VERY EASY
I really wanted to get one of these, but at the time, didn't have the money, time, or space for a project. Someone here on the site ended up buying the one I was watching on eBay, but we didn't hear from from him on his progress. The supply has pretty much dried up now.

Jack
bthood

Post by bthood »

I actually have an automatic transmission for the 1.8 that came with it when I bought it. I’m going to assume that since the transmission it is an Asian, the engine must’ve came out of an I Mark rather than a Chevette. I also have a spare 1.8 that does not have a transmission hooked up to it however it does have a fly wheel connected to it. I wonder if the flex plate for the Asian transmission would fit onto a GM automatic such as the turbo 200 that came in the Chevette?
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

bthood wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:52 am
I actually have an automatic transmission for the 1.8 that came with it when I bought it. I’m going to assume that since the transmission it is an Asian, the engine must’ve came out of an I Mark rather than a Chevette. I also have a spare 1.8 that does not have a transmission hooked up to it however it does have a fly wheel connected to it. I wonder if the flex plate for the Asian transmission would fit onto a GM automatic such as the turbo 200 that came in the Chevette?
If you ever Google or search for that, be sure to try it with the correct spelling: "Aisin"

You'll find plenty of hits for it as you spelled it, too -- because it is commonly misspelled as "Asian".

Jack
BigAl51

Post by BigAl51 »

I am not sure about the one I have. Does your crank have 6 or 8 holes? Mine has 6 and seems to be the odd-man out.