Diesel swap

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
bthood
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Isuzu I-mark engine 1.8 liter diesel, 1987 PUP

Diesel swap

Post by bthood »

What gearing does a stock pup use in the rear? I am doing a swap with a power train from a pup body that has rusted too far to save. When I do this swap, should I use the factory Isuzu rear (I still have the whole truck)? If I were to put a C223 and it’s 5 speed factory trans into a vehicle that is 600 lbs heavier, will there be a significant drop in power? Frankly, I’ve got a 87 pup with a gray running C233 in it and it seem to have plenty of power to adequately and safely move it along the roads of south Alabama. I’m very conflicted about turbo. I honestly think that if I were to use an aftermarket unit and keep the boost between 5 to 8 psi, it would probably perform ok. However, I thought that I’d try it without boost first. Im not looking for super power nor do I want to act like a teenager again. I simply want to use what I have. Any thoughts on using a factory rear? What size tires would y’all recommend for this swap. It’s going into a Ford Ranger 4dr body. I’m not want to tow or haul anything other than my young children in this vehicle. Thanks!
Brian
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Diesel swap

Post by JoeIsuzu »

bthood wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:23 am
What gearing does a stock pup use in the rear?
Diesel 2wd 5-speed: 3.73
Gas 2wd 5-speed: 4.10
All 2wd 4-speed: 3.41
All 4wd: 4.10
All automatics: 4.10

Jack
bthood
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Isuzu I-mark engine 1.8 liter diesel, 1987 PUP

Post by bthood »

Is a 3:73 the best choice with additional weight?
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

bthood wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:45 pm
Seems the best option to me, but are you wanting to use the P'up driveline? I'd definitely use the original Ranger rear axle, or perhaps find a Ranger ring and pinion that is close to 3.73. What ratio is in it?

Jack
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

bthood wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:45 pm
I'd say use a 4.10 rear end if you have a heavier vehicle or hauling more weight. My 1st pup had a 5speed 2wd diesel and I could barely pull my 14' Jon boat out of the lake boat ranp on a trailer.
FiatSpider2

Post by FiatSpider2 »

To keep the Ranger balanced and riding factory use the original rim and tire sizes specified for the vehicle.

What year is the Ranger and what engine/transmission are coming out?
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Turbo Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)