Turbo manifold

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
bthood
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Isuzu I-mark engine 1.8 liter diesel, 1987 PUP

Turbo manifold

Post by bthood »

I’m trying to upgrade a C233 to a turbo. Honestly, I’ve never seen a turbo manifold. Every time I google a picture of it all that comes back is a picture that you really can’t see. Does anyone have a picture of a turbo v non turbo exhaust manifold? Since I’m not interested in reinventing the wheel, does anyone have any turbo parts they want to sell? Turbos are new to me. What all would I need to change to a turbo (low boost maybe 10 lbs)? I know it needs an oil feed what about water? Are the intakes the same?
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Turbo manifold

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Best I can do.
20B94013-2E01-4E2C-A376-6F32E781D28E.jpeg
1B6770FC-D586-4DF3-B14A-CFD5F57F00E8.jpeg
Jack
VEGGIE NATE

Post by VEGGIE NATE »

The manifold on the top in this photo in a factory C223t manifold. From this topic http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?t=19293
Attachments
4DDFF63F-D663-4311-8AD3-0F1102F35ED5.jpeg
1986 P'UP LWB,2WD,N/A,5-SPEED,3.42,WVO TWO-TANK
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Oh, he said "exhaust".

Brian, you realize the intake manifold is also different, right? (And the injection pump too)

Jack
bthood

Post by bthood »

No I didn’t realize that.
bthood

Post by bthood »

So to use an aftermarket turbo I’d need a new or different injection pump and intake? This will be mostly aftermarket.
bthood

Post by bthood »

Btw- the turbo and regular exhaust manifold look the same.
FiatSpider2

Post by FiatSpider2 »

bthood wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:16 pm
Btw- the turbo and regular exhaust manifold look the same.
I believe that the angle of the output flange and divider are different.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Turbo Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)
FiatSpider2

Post by FiatSpider2 »

bthood wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:14 pm
So to use an aftermarket turbo I’d need a new or different injection pump and intake? This will be mostly aftermarket.
The IP AFAIK is modular and may just require a turbo compensator module be installed.
bthood

Post by bthood »

The what??? I think the IP is the injection pump? What the heck is a AFAIK ?
Brian
FiatSpider2

Post by FiatSpider2 »

bthood wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:41 pm
The what??? I think the IP is the injection pump? What the heck is a AFAIK ?
Brian
Brian - AFAIK is the standard abbreviation for As Far As I Know and yes IP is the common abbreviation for Injector Pump. After a while on these forums you'll start picking these things up and save yourself a lot of keystrokes.

You'll also learn how to do quick WEB searches to get immediate answers:
Screenshot_2021-06-05 What is AFAIK - Yahoo Search Results.png
This senior citizen had to play catch up to better understand the kids, nieces, nephews and now the grands however it helps you stay current and in touch.
bthood

Post by bthood »

Oh ok.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

FiatSpider2 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 pm
bthood wrote:
The IP AFAIK is modular and may just require a turbo compensator module be installed.
Sorry, it's not modular. The boost compensator for a turbo pump will not install on a standard pump. And the fuel delivery piston is 1mm larger on the turbo pump.

Some owners have installed aftermarket turbos, and just "turned up the fuel" on their standard pumps. I'm not quite certain what that means -- but I think it's the Full Load Limit adjustment. I can't imagine this being an efficient way to tune an engine, but it does add power.

Just an observation, Brian: It seems like from day 1, you've been obsessed with making this engine something it's not. I don't see this ending happily. IMO (okay, "in my opinion"), you're chasing diminishing returns. You will spend a lot of money on marginal improvements.

I've said this before -- I am 100% convinced that a lot of owners are driving P'ups that have mechanical issues, but they don't know it -- it's their "normal", because it was that way when they got the truck. They never drove a new one. So IMO, best bang for the buck is getting the engine back to its factory performance. It really makes zero sense to turbocharge a worn, tired, and possibly mechanically-challenged engine. That's my $00.02 worth.

Jack
bthood

Post by bthood »

Jack, your 100% correct with everything you’ve said. I am seeking parts to rebuild my engine before I add any boost to it. I have a running diesel pup with no problem that I’m leaving stock and enjoying. I have two running 1.8 (one with an automatic transmission and one engine only) that I’m not really certain what I’m going to do with. I have a spare running C223 diesel, NA, engine and transmission (body was totally gone) that I’m currently transplanting into a good Ford Ranger 2 door pick up. I’m thinking that this should be a reality a simple process as I am keeping the entire power train stock for this swap. I have a core C223 Diesel engine/trans that I’d like to put into a 4 dr Ranger pick up. Since the weight of the 4 dr is similar to the weight of a Trooper, I’m thinking that when I rebuild it, if I rebuild it to turbo specs, that it would handle the 4 dr pick up as similarly as it handles a Trooper. I’m not looking to boost anything past about 10 to 15 PSI, nor am I looking to race any thing. I just would like to challenge of building a diesel rig that will handle the additional weight of a 4 dr.
Ranger body.
FiatSpider2

Post by FiatSpider2 »

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:39 am
FiatSpider2 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 pm
bthood wrote:
Sorry, it's not modular. The boost compensator for a turbo pump will not install on a standard pump. And the fuel delivery piston is 1mm larger on the turbo pump.

Jack
It was a write-up listing the differences between the I-Mark and Chevette that had it worded as the Chevette having the turbo module added to the IP at the factory that led me to believe it was modular since they referenced that I-Mark owners had to add the module themselves.

Then again relying on journalists for accurate information is what it is. Years ago a friend at the local fire department when I commended him on one of his fellow firemen's daring rescue of a little girl from a house fire gave me the corrected account so I should know better. The fireman sited in the article was out of town on vacation, the address they gave was across the street and it was a Cocker Spaniel Dog, not a little girl that was rescued plus they even got the date wrong. So much for accuracy with four strikes on the basic elements of Who, What, When and Where.