Diesel swap into 84 GMC S15

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
Dick'sdiesel
Isuzu vehicle(s): 84 pup diesel

Diesel swap into 84 GMC S15

Post by Dick'sdiesel »

Will a 2.2 diesel and 5 speed manual from an 84 pup "easily" swap into an 84 GMC s15 with 2.8 and auto trans. Gen instructions would be much appreciated. Was hoping not to have to fabricate parts myself. Thanks
puttputtinpup

Re: Diesel swap into 84 GMC S15

Post by puttputtinpup »

I'm not sure if any of our members have done such a swap. Gm had a few GMC and Chevy s10 come factory with the Isuzu 2.2 but were equipped with a different transmission, separate belt driven vacuum pump, and since your gmc is a gasser, you'd need to make the glow system functional in a gasser truck
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

You'd probably have to find or fabricate motor mounts and a transmission mount. Andy raises a good point about the electrical system, but I doubt the wiring would be that big an issue. The Isuzu shifter might not be exactly where the original one was. You'd have to figure out how to hook up the cooling system -- but frankly, I think I'd rather deal with plumbing the P'up engine than trying to find a GM water pump for it. They're pretty much unobtatium.

Jack
Airplanedoc
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1987 Pup 2.2 diesel with 4 speed, 2007 Ram Mega Cab with long bed conversion 5.9 diesel

Post by Airplanedoc »

The oil pan is different on the 2.2 S10 engine you’ll have to modify it.