Diesel swap into 84 GMC S15

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
Dick'sdiesel
Isuzu vehicle(s): 84 pup diesel

Diesel swap into 84 GMC S15

Post by Dick'sdiesel »

I have an 84 Pup with 2.2 diesel. It has 5 speed manual transmission. I am considering putting the engine into an 84 GMC S15 with auto trans. What other parts will I have to acquire to make it happen. Was hoping not to need to fabricate anything.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Diesel swap into 84 GMC S15

Post by JoeIsuzu »

The only auto trans that would bolt right up is one from a diesel P'up. It would still require a flex plate, and you'd have to fabricate a kickdown lever. And after all that, it would be a real dog.

Jack
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

JoeIsuzu wrote:The only auto trans that would bolt right up is one from a diesel P'up. It would still require a flex plate, and you'd have to fabricate a kickdown lever. And after all that, it would be a real dog.

Jack

I second what Jack said about it being a 'dog' with an automatic. I've owned an 84 Pup diesel automatic. No power, not fast, not very economical..<30mpg. We don't see many either, so spare parts to do the swap into the S15 would be extremely difficult to find. The s15 & s10 did come with the c223 diesel at one time, but the 5speed transmission used was different also. Feel free to put in a request for diesel automatic parts...who knows. It still would not be a fabrication-free project
It's not what you wanted to hear.
guslevy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Isuzu Pup Turbo Diesel

Post by guslevy »

I had a '84 S10 factory diesel, I loved that truck, but it was 5 speed.

Watch the truck YouTube video: https://youtu.be/tytvqrU_plI