Rear gear

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Rear gear

Post by JoeIsuzu »

bthood wrote:So maybe I should pull the rear assembly from the dinner and put it into the Ranger?

Whatever makes you even entertain this as an option? I can't see anything above this post that would make me consider it.

Questions I'd have to answer first:
  1. Is the rear end ratio in the Ranger unsuitable?
  2. Are there no suitable Ranger alternatives?
  3. How do the axle widths compare?
  4. How much fabrication would be required for spring perches, brake lines, and parking brake linkage?
  5. Will the Ranger wheels fit with the P'up axle?
  6. If this is 4wd, is the project really worth the effort and expense of changing out BOTH front and rear?
Maybe even other questions, if I thought about it more.

Jack
FiatSpider2

Post by FiatSpider2 »

All you need to know is the year and model Ranger to look up the available axle ratio. Being a 5 speed would likely limit the choices too. On any vehicle you would want the final ratio of drive shaft revolutions per mile to come out about the same to a touch less if the new vehicle is heavier than the original. Right now we don't know here if we are talking about a newer Ranger designed and built by Ford or the re-badged Mazda pickups sold as Ford Rangers.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Turbo Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)
Duck

Post by Duck »

I'm running a 3.55 in a 1990 Dodge Dakota with a 1984 c223 natural / msg 5 speed.. has 215-75-15 tires.
It does a good job, gets a lot of interstate miles with the a/c on. But if I have a little too much cargo, I just drop
down to 4th gear and still run 75 mph.
Attachments
IMG_20161205_091406.jpg
90 Dakota with C223
FiatSpider2

Post by FiatSpider2 »

FiatSpider2 wrote:All you need to know is the year and model Ranger to look up the available axle ratio. Being a 5 speed would likely limit the choices too. On any vehicle you would want the final ratio of drive shaft revolutions per mile to come out about the same to a touch less if the new vehicle is heavier than the original then a few more. Right now we don't know here if we are talking about a newer Ranger designed and built by Ford or the re-badged Mazda pickups sold as Ford Rangers.

Didn't finish the post so added the notation that a few more driveshaft revolutions per mile would be needed if the new vehicle is heavier.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Turbo Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)