Timing tools

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
ryanm91
Isuzu vehicle(s): samurai with isuzu 1.8l diesel

Timing tools

Post by ryanm91 »

Hello for the past couple years i've had a suzuki samurai i purchased that had a 4fb1 swap nearly done. I spent a while cleaning up things and getting it running fairly well. Someone had put a t3 mercedes turbo on it which i elected to remove and swapped a 34m borg warner turbo charger off a john deere skid steer. This engine keeps rocking and rolling surprisingly. I've never checked timing on the engine and thought it might be time to replace the timing belt and possible retard the engine for the turbo charger. Not sure if original creator did such. It does have a chevette pump in it.

I know theres the j dial indicator tool and cam plate. I would like to find those to have on hand. I have a second 4fb1 out a chevette in the shed. im sure Jerry knows the sweet spot for timing. But if i can eventually find the dial indicator how would one go about timing the engine for it being turbocharged now. I just feel it can run a little better once timing is dialed.

Thanks for the help everyone :)
bthood
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Isuzu I-mark engine 1.8 liter diesel, 1987 PUP

Re: Timing tools

Post by bthood »

Did you ever find one? I need some too!
Paul

Re: Timing tools

Post by Paul »

If you are looking for the pump timing gauge, here is an ebay auction. Some others too. Just search ebay for 'VW diesel timimg tool'.

Paul

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EWK-Audi-VW-Bo ... SwAlVfB~z4
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.